Author Topic: What's your aim when you play online cash?  (Read 7047 times)

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
What's your aim when you play online cash?
« on: March 04, 2011, 17:23:35 PM »
I"ve never really bothered with cash games online too much, but recently started playing some micro stakes just for a bit of fun and to see how my game holds up.

At such small stakes I"m playing a lot of hands, limping where I can then either getting lucky, bullying or folding depending on my position. When I do get a hand I make sure I get well paid if anyone does call. I"m not too worried about how right or wrong my tactics/game is but would just like to get some replies to the following questions:

• Do you sit down to the table with the maximum buy-in allowed?

• Would you sit down at a table with some big stacks already there or steer clear and pick a table with fairly average/level stacks?

• Do you tend to go with a plan to play for a certain amount of time/hands or do you aim to double up/treble up then get out?

• Finally, if you are happy to reveal what level you tend to play it will give me an insight to peoples "goals" at different levels play

Thanks in advance to those who reply!
(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
Re: What's your aim when you play online cash?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 02:21:41 AM »
1 - I always sit down for the max.

2 - I prefer tables where eveyone is prety much even.

3 - I normally set a period of play before taking a break, then start another session.

4 - 0.10/0.20 0.25/0.50 & the occasional 0.50/1.00
  Deepstack champion S2  

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:43:34 AM »
1. Always the maximum - anything else means potential lost value when you have a monster.

2. Tend to avoid the big stacks - often a sign that they are running or playing well, and I don"t need to sit at their tables and contribute.

3. Tend to play to a time window. Would never leave a table cos I had trebled up - if running or playing well, why leave?

4. 50NL Holdem or 25PLO

ronaldo07

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
Only started in Jan

1- Always buy in with 100BB

2- Stack sizes dont bother me I just try to adapt my play to this.

3- I aim to play 400 hands per session which takes around 2 hours @5 full ring tables

4- 10NL (100BB @ 0.05c/0.10c)
Team GNF member Bronze medal S4
Team GNF member GOLD S5

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
Cheers guy"s.

One reason I asked this is because the other day I was running ok. Had bought in for my maximum of $4  :o (2c/4c) and had planned to play for a length of time... Before I had reached this time i had reached a whopping $14.62  :P

Because I had such a big stack it seemed that players where happy to shove on me to try a quick double up. Two players shoved on me and I called because I felt I was ahead (and was) both sucked out on me and I lost virtually all but my buy-in!! Both of these players immediately left the table so I had no way of winning it back!

Is there a point where you can have too much at the table?

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »
you can only have too much if others at the table are also deep and you are not confident playing>300bb deep (say), especially of those players are decent and/or have positiuon on you
Looking forward to making my first day 2

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 12:51:59 PM »
So, my bad beat of a 3 outer and a 2 outer within 4/5 hands of each other was just REALLY unlucky and I should carry on as I am? Cheers for all replies  ;)

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 15:28:29 PM »
Reasons to leave a table....

• There are no soft spots and a softer table is available

• A good aggro reg on your left is making it tough for you to enter pots

• You are playing poorly

• Tilt**

• You have reached the end of your optimum session time

**Tilt comes in many subtle forms and you must pay attention and strive to understand and recognise your own personal signals when they are telling you its time to stop playing.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 15:52:45 PM »

Reasons to leave a table....

• There are no soft spots and a softer table is available

• A good aggro reg on your left is making it tough for you to enter pots

• You are playing poorly

• Tilt**

• You have reached the end of your optimum session time

**Tilt comes in many subtle forms and you must pay attention and strive to understand and recognise your own personal signals when they are telling you its time to stop playing.

Agree.
  Deepstack champion S2  

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 16:04:55 PM »

Cheers guy"s.

One reason I asked this is because the other day I was running ok. Had bought in for my maximum of $4  :o (2c/4c) and had planned to play for a length of time... Before I had reached this time i had reached a whopping $14.62  :P

Because I had such a big stack it seemed that players where happy to shove on me to try a quick double up. Two players shoved on me and I called because I felt I was ahead (and was) both sucked out on me and I lost virtually all but my buy-in!! Both of these players immediately left the table so I had no way of winning it back!

Is there a point where you can have too much at the table?

I was told only last night to leave the table and rebuy back in at the max buy in cuz i was a big stack vs everyone else and it wasn"t fair!!

This was on FT on 5/10nl.
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 16:12:35 PM »
I"ve just had the same thing happen today:

I"ve sat down to play for about 90 minutes... Doubled up in the first half hour, got upto about 2 1/2 times my buy-in, then spent 45 minutes trying to make something happen!! Ended up losing all but my original buy-in by shoving with QQ v AK and an Ace was flopped   :(

Is it wrong to risk upto 60% of your stack by shoving when you are sure your ahead?
or am I just looking at being an unlucky player?

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 16:49:28 PM »
 Always buy in for the max,  and only play on tables where everyone is sitting with 100-200 bbs. Usually play 9 handed. If im playing 6 max and there is 2 players with less than 50bbs then i leave. If there are deepstack tables that are active then i usually like to play on these.
 I have lots of notes on people who stack off light etc, and its easy to scroll through lobby and search for these players. Also look for russians and italians because they are likely gonna be fishy. I avoid tables where there are several reg winning players. (for some reason there is lots of new russian players recently/ they like going all in for 100bbs with any pair and any Ace)

i leave a table or a whole session if i loose more than 4 buyins. In the past i have gone on major tilt and lost more than 10 max buyins just because of a couple of coolers or bad beats, this is not good. And i think i have cut out that tilt problem now.
Mostly play 10-25c recently  but in the past as i have grinded 50c-$1.  Cash games i find are much tougher now than just 2 years ago.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 08:11:34 AM »
you"ve got to learn what/how the difference between normal 100bb stacks and deep stack play is...
so look to learn as much as u can about implied and reverse implied odds as this concept becomes more significant when playing deep, non nutted hands like bottom set with small pairs are mostly correct to get all in with at 100bb but at 200bb 300bb and beyond then this is where implied and reverse implied odds comes into play..
coolers at 100bb are far different to deeper stack play coolers, hands that can make nut flushes, nut straights, bigger pairs that make higher sets become way more valuable, on the flipside small pairs, non nut flushes, low pair sets and low straights lose value cos of larger reverse implied odds...
look/learn at how fold equity works when deeper, hmmm the list goes on :)....

break your game down, learn all the fundamentals, play less tables, favour learning over volume, as u learn and apply [correctly] the profits will come naturally as u get better...

start a thread/blog etc and ask the APATers about what in there opinion are the key concepts and fundamentals that  u should learn and know inside out to be able to beat micros and beyond..........

if ur playing on stars, FT or party [or use hem] then import your cash sessions to here - http://www.cardrunners.com/pokertools/handconverter
start a thread and get some feedback from the APATers... [other replay sites are available]

the above are just suggestions, reading a book like ""the poker blueprint"" , get a coach, join deucescracked/cardrunners may help also etc etc...
in a nutshell, put a lot of bloody hard graft in and u"ll get better........

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 13:03:10 PM »
Good post Noble, i was reading review of the "poker blue print" the other night. Probably gonna get it when iv digested "let their be range"

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 17:16:38 PM »
Always buy-in/top up to the max and don"t even think about playing cash games unless you"re prepared to invest in tracking software
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one