Author Topic: S5 APAT English Online Championship 2011  (Read 70096 times)

daveyb147

• Silver Member
Re: S5 APAT English Online Championship 2011
« Reply #285 on: March 20, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »
Even though the heads up was not an ideal situation,lets not forget that both steve and stuart have both played  really well to come 1st and 2nd in this great opening event.I do feel for steve,has happened to us all from time to time and being heads up makes it even more frustrating.I dont really think we should condemn stuart,after all it was not his fault steve was disconnected and im sure he would rather have played it out.
 I see steve has posted this morning and with a cool head has asked that we move on.So lets congratulate them both.

A_Stupid_Man

« Reply #286 on: March 20, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
I am new to these APAT tournaments so I am not aware of any protocol that should be exhibited in these situations but I would certainly have taken advantage of the situation. If that"s not expected by the community then I will be more than happy to review my position on this if I"m ever in that situation.

Anyways, congrats to the winners and anyone else who made a tidy profit.

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #287 on: March 20, 2011, 12:50:44 PM »
Is it possible Steve would have had to start pushing his stack in whether the guy had sat out or not?  I mean even if the guy had of sat out Steve said his battery was dead so would he not have had to start pushing anyway even if his chip lead was intact when he re-connected. If you"ve only got ten minutes of battery the play has gone out of the game anyway as you"re trying to get it won before your computron dies. The tournament is in the lap of the Gods anyway now isn"t it?  

I don"t play on t"internets, but aren"t disconnections just a hazard of playing online?  The whole table don"t sit out when someone disconnects during the boring stages of the event do they?  How do you decide when it"s appropriate and when it"s not?  I know the guy who won was an APAT player, but it could have just been a random online player who had never heard of APAT until yesterday and for him it might have just been a tournament like any other where disconnections are just a part of the game and lucky me on this occasion.

I think it"s possible we get a bit carried away with the prestige and pride and honour of APAT events.  We"re worse than Klingons sometimes.  It"s still only a minority of amateur players who have even heard of APAT.  It"s a big deal amongst the majority of forum APATers, but things like this need to be looked at from the perspective of the majority of online players.

Having said all that, very unlucky Steve and I do mean that.  But is there any footage of Steve hanging off his fire exit swearing like an Aussie truck driver and waving his lap top in the air trying to get a signal?

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #288 on: March 20, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »

Firstly, vul steve and a terrible way to finish 2nd

Secondly, lets not be too harsh on the winner and his supposed lack of morals.

If he was an 888 reg who had never played APAT events before, he may not understand the prestige associated with such events.

There is no emotional attachment to Online poker and with such a difference in first and second prizes, there should be no obligation to "do the right thing" when a player gets disconnected.

FWIW, I"d have sat out in this spot (for as long as it would take), but then Steve is a mate and I"ve played APAT events before, so know a lot of the players and understand the ethos that goes with these games and know that most members would do the same thing. If it was some random event, then I"d have probably given the guy 5-10 mins depending on the structure then raised for England.

As far as I can tell this is the only time anybody has mentioned the impact of the structure with regards to stealing blinds off a disconnect.

If you disconnect with a 2:1 chip lead, then reconnect and have a 1:2 chip deficit, it can signify a vastly different approach by your opponent depending on just how many blinds those ratio"s represent. If the average stack was only about 5 blinds when you disconnected they haven"t really done much to turn that around, for example.

The whole idea of giving someone a specific amount of time to reconnect isn"t right imo, if you give someone 10 minutes to reconnect when the blinds are half an hour - that"s a very different proposition to giving them 10 minutes when the blind levels are 10 minutes long.

Thinking about the question of whether the win is deserved by taking your opponents chips when they"re disconnected. You obviously haven"t outplayed them by taking their chips like this - but if you wait for them to reconnect and the blinds going up means the average stack is down to 10 blinds for example, has the winner really played better to win? It"s much more realistic to suggest that at that stage the winner is more down to who is lucky enough to get good cards and for them to hold up in a pre-flop all in confrontation.

Generally speaking I"d give half a blind level for someone to reconnect - but the lower the average stack, the less time I"d give them, because it would be irrational not to do so.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #289 on: March 20, 2011, 12:58:10 PM »

At the end of the day there can be many problems online.Before you play make sure your computer and connection,to the best of your ability, works!! .If things then go wrong its tough.Ive been in the same situ before on both ends and its not funny at the ****ty end for sure.In a live game if you make day two and your car breaks down or the motorway is blocked would you expect your chip lead to intact.Can you imagine everyone waiting for the chip leader?

different scenario.  you"re heads up in a live APAT championship and your opponent suddenly takes ill and has to dash off to the loo.  do you suggest pausing the clock to wait for him to get back, or (if that"s not allowed) take your time about making a decision when you"re first to act, or do you get the dealer to hurry up and raise his bb every hand?

How about he has a heart attack and is rushed to hospital? Do you wait then and if so, how long...an hour...a day...a month..oh, and the clock is still running too?

Personally?  I ask for the clock to be stopped and the game to be reconvened whenever.  if they won"t do that, i"d suggest splitting the money by chip count and having a play off for the title at another time.  If that"s not agreed to, I"d probably make a nuisance of myself and refuse to sit down, even it means throwing away my chances of winning if i"m shorter on chips.

This is also a rational approach and for a live game with a situation like this probably the most appropriate, but I don"t think you can make the live and online games analogous.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #290 on: March 20, 2011, 13:04:57 PM »
On a personal note, I really enjoyed this game last night, the turn was my friend on a couple of occassions which doesn"t happen often but we really all need a friend when we"re just about to go out 37th  ::).

The turnout was great,- lets hope this continues-, and the finish time was not quite as late as could have been considering 204 runners (not that I waited around this late)

Interesting point raised by Claire re lower end payouts, why pay down this far if the payout is less than the cost  :-\
(personally I would have paid down to 28th  ;D

Well done everyone on the turnout and congrtatulations to the Final Tableists and medallists

Onwards and upwards

cheers

Ian

ps

If anyone is looking for an online team for the coming season that isn"t near junction 10 of the M1 then try here  ;)

http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=8103.0
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

Pitchie

• Silver Member
    • My Website
« Reply #291 on: March 20, 2011, 13:36:05 PM »

On a personal note, I really enjoyed this game last night, the turn was my friend on a couple of occassions which doesn"t happen often but we really all need a friend when we"re just about to go out 37th  ::).

FML! Again! ;)

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #292 on: March 20, 2011, 15:43:50 PM »

ps

If anyone is looking for an online team for the coming season that isn"t near junction 10 of the M1 then try here  ;)

Why would anyone wanna do that?  ;D
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #293 on: March 20, 2011, 15:59:20 PM »
Congratulations to all medal winners last night.

If I was ever heads-up in an APAT event and my opponent disconnected I would always choose to sit out.

Except of course if it was Scouse - then I"d click that raise button as fast as I could.  ;)

p.s. this did actually happened to me in Season 2or3 when we were 3 handed MickyP disconnected. After I spilt my beer laughing I slow played every hand as the other guy was still playing.

ladman

• Bronze Member
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2011, 21:33:07 PM »
Just a thought, feel free to disagree, but instead of there being a grey area where people are unsure what is morally correct or not why doesn"t everyone raise/steal. Then it is clear, it is done to me what I shall do to you, ya get the swings and roundabouts approach and it all settles itself out.

tanr4pp

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #295 on: March 20, 2011, 22:14:41 PM »

Just a thought, feel free to disagree, but instead of there being a grey area where people are unsure what is morally correct or not why doesn"t everyone raise/steal. Then it is clear, it is done to me what I shall do to you, ya get the swings and roundabouts approach and it all settles itself out.

tanr4pp

+1
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

BobbyMorton

« Reply #296 on: March 20, 2011, 22:32:14 PM »
Must say I would take advantage and would expect the same to be done to me.
Telmison4 at Bluesquare
thebestthere  at 888

bellagio joe

« Reply #297 on: March 20, 2011, 22:43:28 PM »
Wasn"t able to play last night, but this was a very intresting read!       Well played Matt, i"m sure i will hear all about it  via Ant. Unlucky scouse not sure wot to say accept your typin is worse than mine! WP to the winner anyhow. The standard payout(matrix) was a bit mad, but i think its sorted for the live events. Top heavy, great if your there and you never know i might get there!! but not at cov carn"t go. £400 for 20th days are gone.                                                          

Munty

« Reply #298 on: March 20, 2011, 23:00:29 PM »
I think Ozfest is getting stick unfairly on this thread.  It"s not his fault the other person disconnected, so why should he sit out.  I"ve lost my connection in the past and I would expect my blinds to be raped constantly and they have.  Maybe players need to ensure that they have reliable secure connections in future. 

Well done to all the winners last night!

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #299 on: March 20, 2011, 23:00:45 PM »
For me...!!!

If I get to heads up and my oppo loses connection, if I know who it is, Like Scouse for instance, and like a lot of APAT players, I am gonna give a chance to get back etc...

But...

If it is a random 888 player who I have no idea who it is, and more especially, if the oppo is a gobby plick, I click as fast as I can and steal as many chips as I can before he comes back..
www.rooms-direct.co.uk if you want some discount email me and tell me you are from APAT.