Author Topic: West midlands super team ?  (Read 22090 times)

PantsMan

• Gold Member
Re: West midlands super team ?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 13:36:06 PM »

If there was another column in the Player Directory for "Town/City of residence" and people were honest about it, there would be uproar.

Well, out of the 7 players Walsall had in the top 20 last season i know at least 6 of those live in the West Midlands, and very possibly 7. 5 out of the 7 play for BCPC and 4 out of the top 5 Birmingham players do too. It"s a local club for local people.  ;)

It just so happens we have a lot of good players!

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 13:57:59 PM »
Well, out of the 7 players Walsall had in the top 20 last season i know at least 6 of those live in the West Midlands, and very possibly 7. 5 out of the 7 play for BCPC and 4 out of the top 5 Birmingham players do too. It"s a local club for local people.  ;)

I don"t doubt you for a second Andy, if only every club was the same.  ;)
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

PantsMan

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 14:43:09 PM »

I don"t doubt you for a second Andy, if only every club was the same.  ;)

We do have players from further afield but they were only recruited once other teams started recruiting people from the 4 corners of the earth and began playing the numbers game. Personally i"d be more than happy to lose any of our players who aren"t from the area if other teams did the same as i know we"d still be left with a very strong team.

All in all it"s going to be an interesting league this season and i"m looking forward to the challenge. Not sure about having Steve Redfern in our team though as he struggled enough last year knocking out his own team mate as he thought he was Walsall. This merger is really going to confuse him!  :)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 16:45:11 PM »

Not sure about having Steve Redfern in our team though as he struggled enough last year knocking out his own team mate as he thought he was Walsall. This merger is really going to confuse him!  :)

ya bugger Andy!

I was several sheets to the wind, it was 1am, and BCPC had so many on the final table I just lost track of who was Walsall and who was Bham ;)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 18:12:58 PM »
Congratulations to West Midlands on winning Season 5 league, and the foreseeable future leagues.

It was a miracle for Solent to run Walsall so close last time, but I can"t see it happening again, now that the dominant team in the league has been reinforced further. Not a very good decision.

Perhaps some of the other captains would be interested in clubbing together for a prize of some sort so our players have something to play for?
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Foggy

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 18:22:42 PM »

Congratulations to West Midlands on winning Season 5 league, and the foreseeable future leagues.

It was a miracle for Solent to run Walsall so close last time, but I can"t see it happening again, now that the dominant team in the league has been reinforced further. Not a very good decision.

Perhaps some of the other captains would be interested in clubbing together for a prize of some sort so our players have something to play for?

Rather negative statement, but perhaps you might feel the same as Birmingham did last year when we were up against the masses of the Solent team

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 18:42:55 PM »
This discussion is all well and good, but the facts of the decision are such :-

Walsall and Birmingham pretty much overlap when it comes to a player catchment area, always have.

Many of the players from the two old clubs, could have easily argued that either was their "local" club.

The decision has nothing to do with who has in the past or will in the future win the league.

You are entitled to view my decision as a poor one if you wish, but I will not be changing it.  And if anyone thinks it was made to help Brian and his team win the league again, you clearly do not know me very well at all.

I am pretty sure the West Midlands team will get outnumbered by the likes of Luton, Solent and Sunderland this season, to name but three.  Most of the clubs have a pretty decent catchment area of their own now to recruit new players and introduce people to APAT games.

We run a well organised and fun community league, that gets very good feedback from all over the poker community.  The games have a good structure, with a sensible buyin, and some great added value seats.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have revamped the scoring system this season, to try and improve the balance a bit, and negate the volume issue that so many people have concerns over.

This will be announced sometime over the weekend.

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 19:14:34 PM »

This will be announced sometime over the weekend.

Leigh,

Slightly off the topic.

Just one question, the Season 5 announcement merged the two London teams, any news on this ?

Cheers

Don
North London Poker Club
APAT Caribbean Poker Club
APAT South African Poker Club

http://www.logieontour.co.uk

PantsMan

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 23:40:47 PM »

You already have something to play for.... the league. Rather than recruiting loads of players and trying to play the numbers game why not get a core of really good players together, that way you"ll be in the same position as our team and be in a position to challenge us? If there aren"t that many good players in the Solent area then so be it.

Perhaps you"d be interested in clubbing together for a prize of some sort so we can put our best 10 players together and play for that as well as the league?

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 23:54:43 PM »
To be perfectly honest I could not give a flying shyte if any team has loads of players, I don"t even care if all the players in said teams are "good" players. Most teams will have a nucleus of players that could and will match any other team. And while I do agree that more players from the same team reduces the variance aspect, I am neither upset nor worrried about the "merging" of any two teams.

Bring it on I say  ;D ;D ;D

PantsMan

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 00:31:53 AM »

To be perfectly honest I could not give a flying shyte if any team has loads of players, I don"t even care if all the players in said teams are "good" players. Most teams will have a nucleus of players that could and will match any other team. And while I do agree that more players from the same team reduces the variance aspect, I am neither upset nor worrried about the "merging" of any two teams.

**** me. Ger, the voice of reason. Never thought i"d see the day!

Well said that man. Bring it on!  :)

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 07:16:07 AM »

well put Ger
North London Poker Club
APAT Caribbean Poker Club
APAT South African Poker Club

http://www.logieontour.co.uk

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »

Have to back my captain so bring it on ! Although Love your idea andy about a 10 players tourney and any other team want to do that for an added prize say 25 quid a man for season or something like that and then would be 2 ukipt seats per team entered added ??

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »

You have to love this brilliant .....love it

Foggy

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 17:31:01 PM »

Well said Ger..................must have been in one of your more sober moments