Author Topic: Ireland Merged Teams?  (Read 14881 times)

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
Ireland Merged Teams?
« on: March 21, 2011, 16:11:49 PM »

All Ireland joint team ftw... ;D

Just saw this ( I"m a bit slow :-[)

and this, Doh!

There are currently 4 players signed up for Belfast.  Can we request a merge?

Leigh, can you please take a look at this as an option. A merge of Dublin and Belfast Clubs (both get 6-10 runners on average) will replace two less than competitive teams with one genuine contender. I suspect this will keep some players in the league that we have a significant chance of loosing.

Take a look at the paltry activity......

HERE

and

HERE

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 16:25:48 PM by TheSnapper »
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Laxie

• Platinum Member
Re: Ireland Merged Teams?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 16:14:48 PM »

All Ireland joint team ftw... ;D

Just saw this ( I"m a bit slow :-[)

Leigh, can you please take a look at this as an option. A merge of Dublin and Belfast Clubs (both get 6-10 runners on average) will replace two less than competitive teams with one genuine contender. I suspect this will keep some players in the league that we have a significant chance of loosing.

Take a look at the paltry activity......

HERE

and

HERE

God knows I"d be up for that!

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 16:59:48 PM »
Anyone else up for this or are we three musketeers on our own here?

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 17:01:40 PM »
There have been grumblings from a few I have talked to about playing in Belfast team that we wnt be competitive enough, so could be a great way to allow us to compete.  Without combining, I think numbers will drop on both sides which I really dnt want to see happen.  Fingers crossed.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 17:04:46 PM »
Belfast and Dublin are two distinct clubs, with two large catchment areas to recruit new members alongside their existing APAT members.

We won"t be merging them together.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 17:41:13 PM »
Fair enough. Just to point out tho, Belfast is the one catchment area where poker is illegal in all the leagues. This greatly reduces both the player pool, and the opportunities to increase the player pool. I would be surprised to get 5 runners a game.

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 19:22:31 PM »
Now thats not fair but then again nither is a hedgehog its very prickly

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 19:23:21 PM »

Fair enough. Just to point out tho, Belfast is the one catchment area where poker is illegal in all the leagues. This greatly reduces both the player pool, and the opportunities to increase the player pool. I would be surprised to get 5 runners a game.
im 1

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 19:29:21 PM »

Belfast and Dublin are two distinct clubs, with two large catchment areas to recruit new members alongside their existing APAT members.

We won"t be merging them together.

With the greatest respect Leigh, this is a really disappointing decision . The numbers dont lie and the facts disagree totally, there are very few Apat"ers in both "catchment areas". Currently we have Ireland and Northern Ireland team A & B Captains trying to assemble teams for The Home International Championship, I suspect those Captains are struggling to fill their four team seats.

When compared to the recently sanctioned merger this seems a supremely inequitable ruling tbh.

Dublin team 1 member

Belfast team 9 members

I suspect Dublin team will die a death this Season and Belfast may well follow. From a personal point of view, regretably I will not be making a commitment to the Dublin team for Season 5. I have no interest in simply making up the numbers with no possibility for being remotely competitive.

Hissy over :P
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 19:36:02 PM »
Unfortunately down in my neck of the woods they have live poker every night of the week as is the case in most parts of Ireland.  They have no notion of sitting in home playing online when they can play in the pub...and many think I"m mad for doing it.  God knows I"ve tried, but they like their pints. 

Ah well.  Not in any form for a debate, so whatever.  Can only make the posts and hope they turn up.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 20:03:30 PM »
If it was the fact that Belfast or Dublin had very few poker players, or had another club right on their doorstep, then it would be a different matter, but neither is the case.

Yes it may be tough to get players to play online, but the league is about giving players an introduction to APAT games and allow them to get involved with the community side of things.  Getting to know players local to them, who they then may meet at live events.

I appreciate all the efforts that the captains make to get players to play, which in turn makes there team more competitive in the league, and am aware that it is not always easy to motivate players on a Sunday night.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 21:07:48 PM »

If it was the fact that Belfast or Dublin had very few poker players, or had another club right on their doorstep, then it would be a different matter, but neither is the case.

Yes it may be tough to get players to play online, but the league is about giving players an introduction to APAT games and allow them to get involved with the community side of things.  Getting to know players local to them, who they then may meet at live events.

I appreciate all the efforts that the captains make to get players to play, which in turn makes there team more competitive in the league, and am aware that it is not always easy to motivate players on a Sunday night.

Apat Brand does not sell as effectively outside GB.

Hopefully I"m wrong about the future prospects for Team Dublin, if not, be prepared for pointed reminders.

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 21:19:34 PM »
Seems harsh.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 09:20:49 AM »
Just speak to Waz he recruits from all over the world!  ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »
Without being argumentative in any way, I am on team Brendan here.  I think both teams will struggle.  Having said that, I know both captains are doing all they can to recruit new members.  Unfortunately, there is just not the same scope here (metaphorical here as I live in London atm) as there is in England.  Hoping to be proved wrong, but both teams will struggle to recruit individually when the allure of the UKIPT seats is going to be out of reach.  Just have to try and get player of the season obv...