Author Topic: THE OFFICIAL: APAT SEASON 6 - Discussion...  (Read 7543 times)

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Re: THE OFFICIAL: APAT SEASON 6 - Discussion...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 13:01:24 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day will we eventully get to the season where there are no sponsors forthcoming / available etc?

To be fair though.. If it meant paying an APAT membership fee (which im still surprised they dont charge) or selling some unwanted body parts then so be it. I"d play that Season "X" just for the banter and the good times even if it was in a carpark with no prizefund other than a pack of hobnobs. 

As long as I could add "hobnobs" to my hendon mob page  ;D
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

technolog

• Platinum Member
  • Happy chappy
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 13:30:40 PM »

I was thinking about this the other day will we eventully get to the season where there are no sponsors forthcoming / available etc?

To be fair though.. If it meant paying an APAT membership fee (which im still surprised they dont charge) or selling some unwanted body parts then so be it. I"d play that Season "X" just for the banter and the good times even if it was in a carpark with no prizefund other than a pack of hobnobs. 

As long as I could add "hobnobs" to my hendon mob page  ;D

Philip speaks the truth.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 14:22:18 PM »

I don"t think the scheduling needs any real work (at least from the point off view of a middle aged single fellow with no kids).

I love the fact that it"s worked (this year) around Bank Holidays...less vacation days to use up at work. In fact as we get another "extra" Bank Holiday next year that"s what I mentioned to Des in Coventry.

But, if you weren"t "a middle aged single fellow with no kids" and weren"t someone who can afford numerous trips abroad each year and were unlikely to be selected for any of the team events" (you might be suprised at how many APAT members that does describe!), you might wonder why your much anticipated new APAT season was over in August, leaving you 6 or 7 months wait for the "soon" to be announced season 7??

As it happens, I"m an old git middle aged fellow with grown up kids, an understanding wife and could afford numerous trips abroad each year. However, I was trying to trhink of others.

Rich has already agreed that it was not an ideal schedule and that there were many and varied reasons why the schedule is as it is, which I fully understand. I just wanted to make the point that if possible spreading the more accessible events of a 12 month APAT season over the full 12 months might be better.

Of course, the biggest hurdle is the sponsors. Closing the deal is the jumping off point...without them, nothing can get confirmed and if the sponsors can"t be confirmed until February/March (as has nearly happened, I understand) then everything grinds to a halt. Rich and Leigh can do all the planning they need to...but if the money doesn"t materialise...it all goes up in smoke.

My post has nothing to do with confirming anything. I"m sure much of the planning, including a propsed schedule of events, is done prior to approaching potential sponsors. I know I wouldn"t be very impressed if someone came to me for a bucket of money but said that they needed me to commit to supplying said bucket of money, before they made any plans on what to spend it on.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 14:32:31 PM by RioRodent »
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 14:39:24 PM »

But, if you weren"t "a middle aged single fellow with no kids" and weren"t someone who can afford numerous trips abroad each year and were unlikely to be selected for any of the team events" (you might be suprised at how many APAT members that does describe!), you might wonder why your much anticipated new APAT season was over in August, leaving you 6 or 7 months wait for the "soon" to be announced season 7?

I get what you are saying Alan but the schedule is pretty well spread around the country and year most of the time...could it be tweaked (which I suppose is what you are saying), of course, but after August this year we have London, Luton & Cork* none of which are really too far afield....that"s not too bad.

Not that I"m planning on playing London.

*I know Cork is "away" but the relative cost is probably the same as, say, Glasgow or Cardiff (time permitting).

As you said, there are a lot of factors that go into planning a season and the APAT guys (I"m sure even you will admit) do a magnificent job of getting it done.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
Re: THE OFFICIAL: APAT SEASON 6 - Discussion.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 14:50:33 PM »

My post has nothing to do with confirming anything. I"m sure much of the planning, including a propsed schedule of events, is done prior to approaching potential sponsors. I know I wouldn"t be very impressed if someone came to me for a bucket of money but said that they needed me to commit to supplying said bucket of money, before they made any plans on what to spend it on.

Actually, I suspect that Des goes in with just a number of events broken down into just types of events along the lines of:

4 National Events in the UK
Ireland
DTD
Team Event
2/3 European Events
1 Las Vegas Event

with the basic buy-in / structure etc. and an a rough idea of the amount he needs to put it on.

If the sponsor wants to tweak it...I"m absolutely sure that would factor in.

Added value is added value...would we still play without the packages on offer?....I suspect we would...well, some of us.

ANYWAY...I"ve dragged us away from the main point.

What other tweaks/improvements/changes would we like to see?

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 15:00:11 PM »

ANYWAY...I"ve dragged us away from the main point.

What other tweaks/improvements/changes would we like to see?

I think it"s a little unfair on APAT and 888 to be trying to identify tweaks/improvements/changes when we"ve only just started the first season under this partnership. We only have one live event, one online event, and a couple of league games done so far - and yes there have been teething troubles, but that"s to be expected, and the guys have sorted them out promptly.

I agree with Alan"s sentiment about starting the discussion a little earlier this time round, but surely we need to see how the season will pan out just a little bit before we start to criticise/critique and request change.

All that said though, I would really like much more notice on the calendar. I missed the start of this season as three week"s notice was just not enough to get out of work. Would love to see the 2012 calendar published whilst we are still in 2011 - even if it"s just identifying weekends so we can plan ahead for work/personal commitments.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 15:09:53 PM »

All that said though, I would really like much more notice on the calendar. I missed the start of this season as three week"s notice was just not enough to get out of work. Would love to see the 2012 calendar published whilst we are still in 2011 - even if it"s just identifying weekends so we can plan ahead for work/personal commitments.

I feel for you...I had to scramble a little too but, this was all down to getting the deal done...nothing could be done in that respect.

I know that Richard was planning on locations (both Home and Abroad) right up to (and after) the deal was done.

I suppose that a "proposed schedule of dates" could be promulgated but I"m not sure how much help that would be if Rich can"t specify locations...but I get what you"re saying.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 15:27:24 PM »

... but after August this year we have London, Luton & Cork* none of which are really too far afield....that"s not too bad.

*I know Cork is "away" but the relative cost is probably the same as, say, Glasgow or Cardiff (time permitting).

London - Pro-Am, Buy-In £300? Too expensive for many
Luton - Team Event. Exclusive of the majority.
Cork - ?? Borderline, but I suspect that numbers travelling from the UK mainland will be less than those that travel to Scotland or Wales.

As I"ve already said, I have no problem with any of these events taking place, I just think that those that can"t play these events may begin to feel a little left out of it by the end of the year.

As you said, there are a lot of factors that go into planning a season and the APAT guys (I"m sure even you will admit) do a magnificent job of getting it done.

I kinda resent that remark.

Any suggestions I have ever made with regard to anything that APAT does, have always been based on what I believe to good for the future of APAT, not for things that are better for me personally and definitely not borne from any sense of ingratitude for what we currently have or for the ammount of work that goes into it.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 15:35:55 PM by RioRodent »
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 15:40:50 PM »
lol"d when I saw this thread.  Its only April right??
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 16:20:18 PM »

... but after August this year we have London, Luton & Cork* none of which are really too far afield....that"s not too bad.

London - Pro-Am, Buy-In £300? Too expensive for many
Luton - Team Event. Exclusive of the majority.
Cork - ?? Borderline, but I suspect that numbers travelling from the UK mainland will be less than those that travel to Scotland or Wales.

As I"ve already said, I have no problem with any of these events taking place, I just think that those that can"t play these events may begin to feel a little left out of it by the end of the year.

I"ve looked into costs and Cork isn"t a comparable cost to Wales at all, Scotland is more expensive but it"s still cheaper than Cork. The only thing Cork is cheaper than is locations like Spain.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 16:29:08 PM »
The only thing Cork is cheaper than is locations like Spain.

You can"t put a price on craic  ;D

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 16:39:21 PM »

I"ve looked into costs and Cork isn"t a comparable cost to Wales at all, Scotland is more expensive but it"s still cheaper than Cork. The only thing Cork is cheaper than is locations like Spain.

I don"t see much difference, hotels are comparable and a flight to Cork is about the same as a tank of petrol/train ticket...but that"s my experience and may not work for others.

Scotland & Newcastle are much more for me than Cork.

Depends on one"s location I guess. If APAT could hold all of S6 at DTD it might work out.  ;D

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 16:51:58 PM »
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 17:00:58 PM »

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 17:16:20 PM »