Author Topic: Dan Owsten put me in a tricky spot early in APAT Cardiff. Thoughts on this?  (Read 11972 times)

Sillbags

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
We had only played 1 or 2 orbits and Dan had been pretty active opening pots as expected. Stacks were 9k effective (think Dan had me covered by 2k). Blinds 25/50, Folds to Dan on the button and he makes it 125, SB 3bets to 450 (1st 3bet from this guy). I have  jc jd in the BB and briefly consider a 4bet to iso the SB, whom I have position on, but don"t want to face a 5bet from either player so I elect to flat for pot control. Back to Dan, who now 4bets to 1200. SB folds. I flat the 1200 (not loving this situation tbh). Flop  9d 8s 4c, I check-call Dan"s c-bet of 1650. Turn  9h. I check and Dan fires 3300 and I tank fold  :-\ Didn"t think that there were many, if any bluffs in his range at this point as he has now committed over half his stack and I was likely facing a river shove, and lets not forget he did 4bet pre. I am only really beating 10"s at this point, but didn"t think he would 4bet pre with 10"s. What do you guys think?

oh, and I might have got the rag card slightly wrong, but doesn"t change anything ;)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 18:00:05 PM by Sillbags »

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
4-2o FTW - wp Dan

tough one this
flatting a 3 bet with the original raiser to act (who has position on you) seems wrong but the cheap option
folding seems wrong (you have JJ)- but at this early stage, it may be the most conservative play.
4 betting seems best given Dan"s image, but 4 bet folding seems so spewy.

I think I flat the SBs 3 bet but fold to Dan"s 4 bet pre (he does get dealt good hands as well - you know)

As played, I do what you do because I don"t want to go broke with a pair
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
If I"m remembering the right hand, it was me in the SB that 3-bet... I had AK, and with the flat from the BB and the 4-bet from Dan, I figured AK was in bad shape. I suspect JJ was also in bad shape.

Sillbags

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
That must have been a different hand Steve, this was just button vs blinds, you had already passed. I was the guy who got gifted 12k when a woman 3bet shoved for 60bb with  :as: qh  ;D

Quasar

• Gold Member

That must have been a different hand Steve, this was just button vs blinds, you had already passed. I was the guy who got gifted 12k when a woman 3bet shoved for 60bb with  :as: qh  ;D

Don"t know whose jaw dropped open the most on our table at that point  ;D

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
To be honest Dan put most people in a tricky spot early in Cardiff and it had feck all to do with poker.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member

ahh mistaken identity.

And that AQ shove was the most strange and surreal moment of the whole weekend.

smileriraq

• Silver Member
there was a collective look of disbelief from everyone at the table.

BenjiYoungy

i actually dont think folding JJ pre to the 3bet is that bad of a decision tbh i know its jacks but i mean its going to be thin whether you are going to show that much of a profit, and at this stage of the tournament its a bit thin its worthwhile. As for the 4bet i dont think would ever flat, i would shove if i think Dan is capable of being light here which from personal experience i know he is (lol) I think your underestimating how how it is going to be to play JJ oop vs a competent (plz dont show dan this comment ) good aggro player. Your going to be facing an overcard so often and playing the guessing game oop (not a good time) Once you get this flop how you dont check shove is beyond me if your not going with it on this flop then for the love of god dont flat the 4ball pre! It gets worse too, the turn is pretty much a nut card minus a jack and you check fold?!?! If you thought your hand is good on the flop its still good! but see below !

****** Now this check fold can either be really good or really bad, it totally depends what level you think dan is on and even more importantly what level you think he thinks your on. If he gives you a ton of credit for being able to read hands well and make good call downs then the check fold is ok, if neither of these are true you should get it in because hes going to piling on the pressure (no1 really wants to travel all this way and bust first hand right?) *****

Sillbags

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
Interesting points Ben, although I"m not sure I like folding to the 3bet pre vs a likely button steal and a possible light 3bet. Having said that, my other options don"t seem vary appealing either; how about if I were to cold 4bet small to say 1075? Obv folding to a 5bet would be turning effectively turning my hand into a bluff, I think I"m ahead of their ranges at this point, but pretty crushed by a 5bet vs my cold 4betting range. I guess what I"m saying is, is it ever ok to 4bet for value intending to fold to a 5bet?
As played shoving 200bbs pre over a 4bet with JJ seems a little spewy to me, so I guess folding to the 4bet is best.
I"m pretty sure that dan just took me as a random, as we"d never played before, which imo makes the turn more tricky as he would never expect a random to fold an overpair at this point. He"s obv cbetting the flop 100% of the time imo, so would he really fire 2nd and likely 3rd barrel with bluffs that he could 4bet pre with, like AK after me calling on the flop and the turn really changing nothing. Like you said, the turn is a great card for my hand, and dan must know this is likely a great card for my range, so would expect him to shut down with hands like AK as firing a 2nd barrel would be such a large % of his stack, and would prob be committed to follow through on the river.
Fwiw, I like check shoving the turn, but would be lying if I said that the fear of busting that early didnt at least contribute a small part towards my decision making   :-[
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:10:36 AM by Sillbags »

deanp27

• Platinum Member
I"d probably cold 4 given positions at the table or fold if I wasn"t comfortable, our relative position in the hand is terrible to just flat the 3 bet and I think this is the worst option pre. His 4 bet sizing is quite curious with the 3 bettor left to act but don"t know Dan well enough to know whether he has weak hands in his 4 betting range. Once I call the 4 bet and the flop I aren"t folding.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Foggy

• Gold Member
Probably playing 6-3 o/s which I believe is one of his favourite hands

I Q8Holds I

• Silver Member
I dont think anyone is really restealing at 25/50, you obviously get a few but you said the Sb was quite tight and hadn"t seen him 3bet once, He may only be 3betting JJ+ +AK +AQ  [maybe not aq and jj]. Youv"e got 200bb"s i think i fold pre and fold to 4bet as playe, even if it is that fish.

deanp27

• Platinum Member

I"d probably cold 4 given positions at the table or fold if I wasn"t comfortable, our relative position in the hand is terrible to just flat the 3 bet and I think this is the worst option pre. His 4 bet sizing is quite curious with the 3 bettor left to act but don"t know Dan well enough to know whether he has weak hands in his 4 betting range. Once I call the 4 bet and the flop I aren"t folding.

Scrap what I said, thought we were only 60bb deep, fold pre is best
Looking forward to making my first day 2

PantsMan

• Gold Member

the Sb was quite tight and hadn"t seen him 3bet once, He may only be 3betting JJ+ +AK +AQ  [maybe not aq and jj].

It was Steve Redfern in the SB, 3 betting Dan"s button raise. I"d say both of there ranges include a lot lower hands than "JJ+ +AK +AQ". Although the original poster may not know them!