Author Topic: Hand from the team event.  (Read 30287 times)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: Hand from the team event.
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 14:51:19 PM »

Well if those % are correct which they prob are then 3 bet calling/folding are a mistake and it"s a push/fold pre so I guess I would fold pre.

I"m not one for rules but I don"t think I would be 3b/folding anything out of a sub 25bb stack with antes in play.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 15:04:45 PM »

I would suggest that open folding>3bet/folding.

But I don"t like folding

open folding>3bet/folding, but you can"t fold pre with that hand and that stack size.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 15:29:44 PM »
We can bet 5k so as to...

Fold when he jams.

We will burn our equity (33%-48%) and sometimes (however rarely) fold a dominating hand.

We are gonna have the right price to call so folding is a mistake.

Induce and never ever fold.

It's debateable whether or not this encourages villain to get it in with many more hands than he would call our jam with. Lets assume he calls the jam with..

QQ+,AKs,AKo  versus this calling range...

Villain folds 78% when we 3b.
We have 36% equity when called.
Our EV is +3820 chips.
We exit the tourney 14%

So we induce him to get it in with a wider range..

TT+,88-66,AJs+,AJo+  versus this calling range...

Villain folds 37% when we 3b.
We have 48% equity when called.
Our EV is +5850 chips.
We exit the tourney 33%

If you consider that you have an edge over the field, which is hard to gauge and usually overstated, then you probably should take the lower variance option since your tourney life and stack equity have more value.

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 15:42:28 PM »

We can bet 5k so as to...

Fold when he jams.

We will burn our equity (33%-48%) and sometimes (however rarely) fold a dominating hand.

We are gonna have the right price to call so folding is a mistake.

Induce and never ever fold.

It's debateable whether or not this encourages villain to get it in with many more hands than he would call our jam with. Lets assume he calls the jam with..

QQ+,AKs,AKo  versus this calling range...

Villain folds 78% when we 3b.
We have 36% equity when called.
Our EV is +3820 chips.
We exit the tourney 14%

So we induce him to get it in with a wider range..

TT+,88-66,AJs+,AJo+  versus this calling range...

Villain folds 37% when we 3b.
We have 48% equity when called.
Our EV is +5850 chips.
We exit the tourney 33%

If you consider that you have an edge over the field, which is hard to gauge and usually overstated, then you probably should take the lower variance option since your tourney life and stack equity have more value.

Im getting bored of saying "Great post Brendan," but...
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 16:36:15 PM »

model for when villain folds approx 75% with 3 PLAYERS YET TO ACT BEHIND who call 3.5% of the time!!!!  

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 16:39:40 PM by noble1 »

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 16:55:08 PM »
tighter opening range for villain , folds 65% of the time... 3 YET TO ACT BEHIND WHO CALL TOP 3.5%...

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 22:55:05 PM »
Some great feedback guys! Well the line I took was that I had the perfect jamming stack and did so, with his stack I couldn"t see him folding to a standard 3 bet, and I felt that it would be really spewy to 3 bet fold when scare cards hit the flop.
The villain in this piece was eventual runner up Ian Thompson (Pables). And he tanked for ages before calling with QQ. So IMO the jam was the correct move even though I lost the hand, Ian would have folded out lesser hands that were worth an original raise. I chatted with ian about the hand later, as I couldn"t believe he took so long to make the call, but Ian was taking the team event dynamics into the equation, otherwise I am sure he would have snap called. ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 23:56:46 PM »
hope he got you a pint for the horrid slow/nit roll.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 00:03:49 AM »

solid rather than aggro.

Need to review that read imho and his opening range.

The villain in this piece was eventual runner up Ian Thompson (Pables). And he tanked for ages before calling with QQ. So IMO the jam was the correct move even though I lost the hand, Ian would have folded out lesser hands that were worth an original raise. I chatted with ian about the hand later, as I couldn"t believe he took so long to make the call, but Ian was taking the team event dynamics into the equation, otherwise I am sure he would have snap called. ;)

Will run some numbers later but intuitively I suspect that this is not a good move versus Ians opening range. Dont think he folds enough.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 00:08:55 AM by TheSnapper »
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 00:05:36 AM »

hope he got you a pint for the horrid slow/nit roll.

he"s a card isn"t he  ;D

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 12:49:37 PM »
It was a great bet in my opinion and as has been pointed out earlier in the thread, it"s the kind of bet to make the villain   ??? put down hands such as  jc  jh,  ts  tc ,  any lower pair and  ac  qd  and below. I don"t have the same computer up there as Brendan but there were the team dynamics to think of,-to be honest I thought of not much else for 1.1/2 days-, which is what made this tournament so fantastic and I eventually made the correct call, it was never a slow roll just an old man trying to get to make the right decision.

A pleasure to finally meet you Mike and as I say Great bet

The Nit
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 13:29:08 PM »

It was a great bet in my opinion and as has been pointed out earlier in the thread, it"s the kind of bet to make the villain   ??? put down hands such as  jc  jh,  ts  tc ,  any lower pair and  ac  qd  and below. I don"t have the same computer up there as Brendan but there were the team dynamics to think of,-to be honest I thought of not much else for 1.1/2 days-, which is what made this tournament so fantastic and I eventually made the correct call, it was never a slow roll just an old man trying to get to make the right decision.

The Nit

Likewise Ian, and well played, it was a great run, a shame you couldn"t quite close it out, but I"m sure you had a ball.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 13:57:26 PM »

The Nit

ur seriously folding all those hands to this shove?
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2011, 14:05:37 PM »
I think with the TEAM dynamics involved as Ian"s said I would fold (hands listed above) also, however in an individual tourny not a chance.

The team element was certainly there to be exploited by any individuals who were playing for a team with no other runners left, or had been sent out to cause chaos. Our team captains instructions were for at least 5 of the 8 to make it into the points (top 50) so running any small margins needed a great deal of thought to be fair.

ps Mike good to share a table with you albeit briefly mate, see you soon I hope x
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2011, 14:27:32 PM »

I think with the TEAM dynamics involved as Ian"s said I would fold (hands listed above) also, however in an individual tourny not a chance.

The team element was certainly there to be exploited by any individuals who were playing for a team with no other runners left, or had been sent out to cause chaos. Our team captains instructions were for at least 5 of the 8 to make it into the points (top 50) so running any small margins needed a great deal of thought to be fair.

If 5 of your team scrape into the points you get 15 points,
if one of your team reaches the final table they get 41 points

The best way for your team to do well is for each team member to try and win the tournament
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341