Author Topic: Awards for Season 2?  (Read 7802 times)

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
Awards for Season 2?
« on: January 05, 2008, 20:10:57 PM »
These awards being dished out are a decent enough idea, but perhaps next year the whole thing can be co-ordinated a little better and in partnership with alcohol and maybe even a little bit of mirth too?  

Instead of posting the awards on the forum, might it be possible to have some sort of Christmas APAT bash?  Like a blonde bash maybe, and dish out some awards prior to a drunken £50 freeze-out in one of the APAT venues?  

I think it"s a shame the player of the year for season one won"t have the opportunity to go to the Bahamas this year so maybe getting the things out of the way in early December will allow the season 2 winner to attend next year?

Also, can someone really warrant a Hall of Fame place after just one season?  Is APAT an established enough association for anyone to warrant a Hall of Fame position?  

In most other sports you have to have played for a period of time and been retired for a few seasons and have wonky knees or something in order to view the player with a degree of perspective before considering them for the Hall of Fame. 

The Hall of Fame spot in this instance can only really go to the player of the year cant it?  What if we find out after a couple more months that the chosen Hall of Famer has fluked his place and is actually a mincer?  

Only joking of course, but really a Hall of Fame spot ought to be something special and one season's results and contributions I don't think can justify the position.  Just an opinion and I hope those in the reckoning won't take offence.

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
Re: Awards for Season 2?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 20:33:41 PM »

These awards being dished out are a decent enough idea, but perhaps next year the whole thing can be co-ordinated a little better and in partnership with alcohol and maybe even a little bit of mirth too?  

Instead of posting the awards on the forum, might it be possible to have some sort of Christmas APAT bash?  Like a blonde bash maybe, and dish out some awards prior to a drunken £50 freeze-out in one of the APAT venues?  

I think it"s a shame the player of the year for season one won"t have the opportunity to go to the Bahamas this year so maybe getting the things out of the way in early December will allow the season 2 winner to attend next year?

Also, can someone really warrant a Hall of Fame place after just one season?  Is APAT an established enough association for anyone to warrant a Hall of Fame position?  

In most other sports you have to have played for a period of time and been retired for a few seasons and have wonky knees or something in order to view the player with a degree of perspective before considering them for the Hall of Fame. 

The Hall of Fame spot in this instance can only really go to the player of the year cant it?  What if we find out after a couple more months that the chosen Hall of Famer has fluked his place and is actually a mincer?  

Only joking of course, but really a Hall of Fame spot ought to be something special and one season's results and contributions I don't think can justify the position.  Just an opinion and I hope those in the reckoning won't take offence.

It was felt to be too soon for an awards get together in season one.  We felt that sort of thing would be more appropriate when the Association is up and functioning, allowing us to tie the AGM with an Awards do or similar.  For info, the timing of the awards had nothing to do with the PoY missing out on a trek to the Caribbean.

I understand your point on the HoF and largely agree.  However, if you have a big enough character to put in there, it shouldn"t matter whether they have earned that level of respect in one year, or over several.  If the member is right, the time should be also.  We feel we have a member that ticks all the boxes, with the exception of the mincer box.  

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 20:38:07 PM »

I had the same idea.  I think it"s something Des is planning for next time - it was a bit too early this time.

I thought about a £50 F/O, or maybe a team heads-up event.  Something that is focused on fun, beer, and celebrating APAT - with the poker a side issue (for once).

It would be good to have an APAT get together that wasn"t "ruined" by  a two-day poker tournament.  You get knocked out early from a National, and you might make a quick exit.  Go deep, and you don"t get a chance to speak to anyone who"s not on your table.  An awards evening would be a good social event.

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

jacklevel06

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 20:52:20 PM »
Fun, BEER and celebrating .I like the sound of that.
Mug punter on the horses since 1981

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 20:54:32 PM »

Easy to see Micky has an autosearch on the word BEER.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 20:54:39 PM »

I had the same idea.  I think it"s something Des is planning for next time - it was a bit too early this time.

I thought about a £50 F/O, or maybe a team heads-up event.  Something that is focused on fun, beer, and celebrating APAT - with the poker a side issue (for once).

It would be good to have an APAT get together that wasn"t "ruined" by  a two-day poker tournament.  You get knocked out early from a National, and you might make a quick exit.  Go deep, and you don"t get a chance to speak to anyone who"s not on your table.  An awards evening would be a good social event.

??? What"s he talking about Dewi?
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 20:57:10 PM »

Dunno...sounds like it could be expensive  ;D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 21:02:02 PM »

LOL - I was talking about the majority.  

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 21:02:05 PM »

Do you mean Dewi "Advance Party" James?

I wouldn"t mind, but we only asked him to sort out the side pot.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 21:04:30 PM »

Why wasn"t this nominated for Image Of The Year??
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 21:06:34 PM »

Why wasn"t this nominated for Image Of The Year??

Nothing unusual about it....

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 21:21:06 PM »
Yes there is.  The glass is empty.

Geo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 16:17:49 PM »

Yes there is.  The glass is empty.

LMAO, very clever Dan.

Geo

Dewi_cool

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 21:56:43 PM »
I was really tired ::)
Ex Captain Team 'Cymru'

Dewi_cool

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 22:02:38 PM »
and I suggest it"s held in Manchester, seemed to work for me ;)
Ex Captain Team 'Cymru'