Author Topic: Short stack KQ off-suit pre-flop shove  (Read 3560 times)

nofatchicks83

Short stack KQ off-suit pre-flop shove
« on: October 27, 2013, 15:27:17 PM »
Have a hand thats been bugging me the last two weeks.
Was playing day 2 of a live MTT 9 handed and was down to 10 BBs (21k chips blinds 2000/1000 ante 75).  Tourney average is about 40 BBs.  Most players at the table have 40 BBs or more.
Pre-flop a guy opens from mid-position with 2.5x BBs (he has about 25 BBs).  I"m on the button and shove with  Kc Qd (first decent hand in about an hour).
He calls with JJ and busts me out.
Was this the wrong move - I was torn at the time but was running out of equity.
Thoughts?

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Re: Short stack KQ off-suit pre-flop shove
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 16:36:35 PM »
10BBs on the button KQ, definite shove.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Charlie44

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 17:30:30 PM »
You can"t just call and given the odds the original raiser is almost never folding so you have no fold equity.

You are risking 10BBs to win about 22 BBs. So ignoring ICM you need to have 45% chance in heads up. You will get this if villain is raising 15% of range 77+, A7s+ and most broadway combos. This is reasonable but does not take into account ICM factor (benefits of laddering prize money) and possibility of blinds picking up big hand.

Unless villain is very loose it is a fold for me, and you continue to wait for better hand or stealing opportunity. 

nofatchicks83

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 17:50:15 PM »
Thanks guys.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 21:46:27 PM »
Fold for me. If we were opening the pot, KQ is an easy shove... but with a MP raiser who will have pot odds to make the call mandatory, and we have a hand that is crushed so often by his opening range, I prefer to fold and wait. We"re hardly ever in good shape, and rarely crushing with KQo in this spot.  Open shoving ATC in the next hand to fold to you could be more profitable than getting it in here.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 16:12:47 PM »
If original raiser had a bigger stack then he is probably opening lighter so you can profitably shove this.

With 25BB villain should be opening tight from this position. You ran into one of a few hands that has you in reasonable shape but generally you are crushed here so should fold.

If there is a read that villain is loose but not adjusting to his stack size then I ship away
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D