Author Topic: Advice Required  (Read 2288 times)

Erimus

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Advice Required
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:52:24 AM »
Hi, new member 1st posting need some general advice, bit of background started playing poker about 1 year ago dropping the odd tenner into various sites playing losing, putting more cash in and generally doing pretty badly, however 3 months ago put £50 into sky and after reading and studying game for a while playing small sngs £1, £2 and £5 and small tourneys have built up bankroll to £600.
I now have more time during the day, and would welcome advice on good value tournaments during the day and the best time to play sngs etc, and on which other sites to play on. I am currently playing mainly on Sky and have an account with Blue Sq.
Do you think wth my current bankroll I am playing at the correct levels ? or do I need take the plunge and step up a level or 2, any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance.

MartinOwlMan

Re: Advice Required
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:48:53 AM »
With regard to advising on the best value sit n goes, I recommend subscribing to Sharkscope and using its tournament selector to find the sit and goes that are filling up with fish / negative ROI players. MTTs? It depends, really: but you have been doing well where you are, why not stick to what is working?

Bankroll management - I use formulae based on something I read that Chris Ferguson wrote, plus other people that have written on the subject. I never buy into a:

- MTT that costs more than 2% of my bankroll
- SnG that costs more than 4% of my bankroll
- Rebuy MTTs I calculate a maximum buy in that works out at 0.25% of my bankroll

Also as you keep winning and the bankroll builds, don"t just automatically jump levels and stick there. Dip into the next level up when the bankroll guide above suggests it is time to do so, but only gradually, even if you start off winning at the next level.

Finally, read The Tao of Poker to get your head around some of the key things to know to keep your game and bankroll on track despite everything the game (and life) throws at you.

tumblet

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 16:01:30 PM »
Very good advice there..

If your winning at what your doing, dont be in too much of a rush to increase levels, change sites etc..

Do you keep records? Use a site like pokerdominator, a free internet site, where you can keep records of all the games your playing, and build up a good database of where your winning, what time of day is better for you, what day is better etc etc, loads of information about your game..

Good luck and keep it up..

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 17:15:51 PM »
With 600 pounds (roughly 1200 dollars) i think you could definately take the plunge and try some 20 dollar sit n go"s, if u do well u might not look back and if u struggle theres no shame in dropping back down and building up again, Chris

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 18:03:09 PM »
One thing which I think is of vital importance is the difference in standard of play between online sites. Full Tilt and Pokerstars are by far the 2 best sites out there but the standard of play in a Pokerstars $10 tourney is much higher than in, say, a Betfair $10 tourney. For a beginner, I think that Betfair is a very good place to start, as the overall standard at low buy-in tournaments and sit and gos is very poor and represents a decent opportunity to increase bankroll/confidence. I would also recommend taking a look at the structure of a site"s tournaments as playing on 1 where the standard start is 1500 chips/10 minute blinds will lead to you getting  into the habit of shoving all in from an early stage. Try and find a site where tournaments have a deeper stack and longer blinds then you will develop better poker skills than if you play in a succession of crapshoots.            
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 22:03:19 PM »
with 1200$ i would max buy at a 5/10$ no-limit cash table(1000$)
play like a rock until i hit 2000$ then level up again.
repeat the process untill u either feel like your going to have a heart attack or lose your stake.in case of the latter you then have 200$ left to grind back up in 5/10$ sit-n-gos.
oh and 1 other thing gradually loosen up as you progress up the levels.
easy.