Author Topic: Choosing online tourneys  (Read 2088 times)

oneill1970

• Silver Member
Choosing online tourneys
« on: October 10, 2008, 21:45:52 PM »
Evening all!

In my quest to build up a bankroll from nowt I"m mainly playing low stakes limit, about to go up a level.  Also, according to my bankroll rules, I"ve now got enough to play some non-turbo online tourneys, where the blind levels start to get to some sensible length.  Although I prefer SnGs at the moment, I like the odd tourney as a change of scene, and I wondered how people here choose their online tournaments.

For example, at Stars there"s the 50c buyin with 2000 entries and a 7 hour play time, while at smaller sites there might be a 50c+5c with only 20 players, over in a couple of hours.  For me, the former seems like a lottery, and about 200 players would probably be my max field.

Does anyone have any preferences?  Rebuy?  Freezeout?  Large or small fields?  Low fee or big prize pool?  Occasional treat or part of a bankroll?

Right, time to surf before Al Murray...
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
Re: Choosing online tourneys
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 10:21:46 AM »
i like the virgin tourneys

every evening at 7.30 there is a 2 euro rebuy with 100 euro guaranteed prize and it only has 12-15 runners so is over in about 2 hours - seems pretty weak play and easy to get into the top 3  pay places

also every evening at 7.35 there is a 1,000 euro guaranteed prize pool for only 3 euro entry - this one takes around 3 hours to play if you go deep and play steady but it does usually have around 400-500 runners - but if you play tight to start with you get alot of players going out early in the 1st hour as it seems alot of people try and get a bit cute with stealing blinds or playing any 2 suited or connecting cards

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 10:35:33 AM »

every evening at 7.30 there is a 2 euro rebuy with 100 euro guaranteed prize and it only has 12-15 runners so is over in about 2 hours - seems pretty weak play and easy to get into the top 3  pay places

also every evening at 7.35 there is a 1,000 euro guaranteed prize pool for only 3 euro entry - this one takes around 3 hours to play if you go deep and play steady but it does usually have around 400-500 runners - but if you play tight to start with you get alot of players going out early in the 1st hour as it seems alot of people try and get a bit cute with stealing blinds or playing any 2 suited or connecting cards

My wife usually plays this tourney... with reasonable success!  :)
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 11:33:40 AM »
yeah - they aint too bad

donkfest to start with - ive seen my aces cracked by 67 suited all in pre flop and others

but generally play tight until the break and when the antes kick in start opening up a but and you should do ok

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 09:09:15 AM »

I have 4 kids, so I guess I"m ineligible for this one?