Author Topic: Online tournaments over two evenings  (Read 3803 times)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Online tournaments over two evenings
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:30:44 AM »
There"s a thread on blonde poker about the tournaments on Ladbrokes that run over the course of two evenings.  They start at about 8-ish and then play stops at about midnight / 1 o"clock, continuing the following evening at the same time.

This allows for a longer structure, but without the problem of finishing at 5 in the morning if you go deep and then have to get up for work a few hours later.

I don"t play on Ladbrokes, but from what I was reading, they have these tournaments with a $10 and $50 buy-in.  So they"re ideal for the recreational player who has a limited bankroll and wants to play a longer structure.  I know that some of the big online events play out over a few days, but I hadn"t seen anything similar at the lower level of buy-in.

I was wondering if this is something iPoker could provide, and it would be a good idea for the larger buy-in APAT online events - maybe a monthly or quarterly $100 comp spread over the two evenings?

Just a thought...
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
Re: Online tournaments over two evenings
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »

I was wondering if this is something iPoker could provide, and it would be a good idea for the larger buy-in APAT online events - maybe a monthly or quarterly $100 comp spread over the two evenings?

Just a thought...

Good idea. I"d be up for it...
WCOAP 2009 Online Omaha Champion
WCOAP 2009 Online ME Final Tablist

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »
this sounds great. The reason I dont play many MTTs is the time they take to play out. Come on ipoker 2 things please......

1. 2 day MTTs
2. less rake on double or nothing SNGs
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Mayfair

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 17:39:19 PM »

Just a thought...

Good idea. I"d be up for it...

+1

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 14:38:15 PM »

I don"t play on Ladbrokes, but from what I was reading, they have these tournaments with a $10 and $50 buy-in.  So they"re ideal for the recreational player who has a limited bankroll and wants to play a longer structure...

I really can"t believe there is anyone who would want to spend 2 nights on a $10 tournament??
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 14:39:59 PM »

I really can"t believe there is anyone who would want to spend 2 nights on a $10 tournament??

Some play for dough, some for enjoyment. Different strokes..

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 17:30:36 PM »

I don"t play on Ladbrokes, but from what I was reading, they have these tournaments with a $10 and $50 buy-in.  So they"re ideal for the recreational player who has a limited bankroll and wants to play a longer structure...

Not my cup of tea, but why not?  If someone"s starting out and has a meagre bankroll, they still might want to play a tournament with a longer structure.

I would be interested if the buy-in was $50 or more.  For some, that"s a paltry amount and a waste of time.

Maxriddles

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 18:54:14 PM »
Sounds a great idea to me.
Often the correct decision is the hardest to reach

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 19:12:47 PM »
would have to be a decent size tournament for me, as i wouldn"t want to play over 2 days for $10....other than that anything with a longer structure gets my vote...

just have to get myself a new laptop first  :(

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 19:24:11 PM »
Some of the higher buy in WCOOP games on Stars went over two days... sadly the buy-ins were beyond me and I failed to satellite in.    The first session in those games was over 12 hours long though!!!

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 20:44:39 PM »
The start time is crucial as well.  An 8 o"clock start to a 5-hour session is pretty much spot on if you"re in the UK and work a normal 9-5 (ish) day.

It means it starts at a reasonable time and obviously also finishes at a decent time too.

I also think that two 5-hour sessions is much more palatable than one 10-hour session.  Not that I"ve played too many online tournaments for that amount of time.  I"ve heard that these online tournaments have things called "breaks"...

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 21:32:03 PM »

I"ve heard that these online tournaments have things called "breaks"...

Yep bad ones