Author Topic: Online Timing Tells - Reliable or Irrelavant?  (Read 3146 times)

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
Online Timing Tells - Reliable or Irrelavant?
« on: October 31, 2008, 13:37:07 PM »
Reading an old mag earlier today and there was an article regarding online tells, most which were pretty pathetic but some were insghtful.

The Timing Tells got me thinking, this is something I used to believe in when first I first started online but not so much now especially if your playing against someone multitabling... whats to say that something that looks like hesitation isn"t due to the player managing 8+ tables at once... 

Maybe its relavent against inexperience players but would you place much emphasis on it against experienced players who are known to you to multitable? Obvioulsy we"re not making decisions solely based on a players timing but it might interesting to start doing so!

just wondering what the general concensus is?
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Online Timing Tells - Reliable or Irrelavant?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 15:59:51 PM »
I think they do have some relevance at lower levels, but at higher levels, with multitabling and players giving off reverse tells, they are not too relevant, unless you have good notes on a player.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 16:28:23 PM »
1.if in doubt player search the site see how many they are playing.
2 Sunday night majors , check to see if they are on UB AP full tilt
3 check connection strength [pokerstars]
4 i only look for patterns in timing in raised pots  eg utg raise , a normally quick player just pauses when a ace comes on flop,most of the time its because they are not happy to see it,with some players it is only a brief 1 sec pause but it is discernible.
5 same as above but in reverse with some players,its the card they want to see.
6 dont put faith in timing tells for everyone , but for players that it does apply to,note it for future reference.
7 same as anything , practice and experience help in picking up subtle timing tells.
8 timing tells are only a small part of your armoury in picking up styles and patterns in your opponents plays.
9 also when involved in a pot it helps to have position on your opponent when picking up on timing patterns,when they have position on you i tend to find timing tells are unreliable.[if they are 1st to act i find it more reliable]
10 use auto buttons to confuse and set up future plays on aggressive players.[think about it]

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 14:49:39 PM »
Good stuff, thanks.

I think I am going this a bit more consideration then I do at the moment given the level I play its probably very appropriate!

Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 13:01:49 PM »
tbo i would concentrate more on betting and bet size patterns rather than timing tells. this are far more reliable, especially at the level your playing

look out for pot-size bets on the flop, happens all the time on blue sq. 9/10 times it means complete weakness, especially in weak players.look for how many times they do this when they have an opportunity, then pounce on it when you think you have got the read. if you let them have a couple of pots when you have nothing or you see them winning pots with that certain bet, they then think it"s working.

smileriraq

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 09:47:17 AM »
my favourite online tell

player a raises

you re raise

player a calls

next card he checks reraise and 9/10 they will fold

*one caveat on this i tend not to do this as much if a 3rd suited card comes on the flop