Author Topic: HOH type quiz  (Read 4001 times)

noble1

• Platinum Member
HOH type quiz
« on: December 16, 2008, 15:23:42 PM »
there never seems to be many situational questions so i"m going to slip in some quiz type questions for people intrested in discussing the merits of different plays.

so the first is -
Mtt buy in: $100
Stage of tourney: Nearing bubble
Your image: Tight
Opponent's image: Fairly tight
Your hand:  ac kd

The setup: You've been playing pretty tight at this table due to a combination of a lack of cards and frequent action in front of you. You won the previous hand with an all in bet on the river that wasn't called.

This hand you raise it up 2.5bb from the hi-jack position with AK and get a called in the BB, who has also been pretty tight. You flop trips:

ks kc :2d:

The BB leads out for 2k. You don't have any real history with them.

The blinds are 500/1000 antes 125
Your stack - 29000
Villians stack - 41000

What's your play?  call or raise and how would you proceed on further streets ?

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
Re: HOH type quiz
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 15:35:27 PM »
I would mostly reraise here to 5-6k hoping to look like a resteal and disguise the strength of my hand, occasionally flat here but only if I have done this and folded to a flop bet in my history with the oppo.

A call here and most times it obvious we have Kx imo and lets them away cheaply unless they improve their hand. Raising also gives them the opportunity to reraise with any Kx (not K2 hopefully) or to resteal assuming we cant have the K.

Hopefully we get it all in here but if he flats, I slow down on turn to feign weakness and value bet the river.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 16:03:39 PM »
john if villian is probe betting a medium pocket pair like 77 to 99 say, will he call your 3x re-raise?
i like the re-raise but i would make it look like a probe raise [just slightly more than a min raise]  and maybe hopefully induce them to come back over the top.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 16:06:11 PM by noble1 »

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:22:24 AM »
I flat call here.  Gives him the opportunity to bluff it on the turn, and if he checks to you, you put in a probe-sized bet that he either folds against or re-raises, and then you can re-raise or call again and see if you can do the same on the river.

You can play other hands this way as well, and use your position on him so he doesn"t know where he is.  I"d say it"s unlikely this one is going to a showdown, unless he has Kx, and then you"ll win.  Without a showdown, it doesn"t matter what you have here as long as he doesn"t have Kx - he isn"t going to be calling a strong bet on the river from you.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:12:14 AM »
unless he has Kx,

if we were to make a probe reraise would that be the best move? i think that might suck in Kx or any small pocket pairs villian may have,then if he were to check the turn and river we met get a value bet paid off.
If he calls the reraise and leads out on the turn,we may catch him out if he has a Kx type hand.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:17:25 PM »

unless he has Kx,

if we were to make a probe reraise would that be the best move? i think that might suck in Kx or any small pocket pairs villian may have,then if he were to check the turn and river we met get a value bet paid off.
If he calls the reraise and leads out on the turn,we may catch him out if he has a Kx type hand.

I think you might well be right.  I don"t think there"s much in it either way to be honest if you"re against Kx.  Player dependent, but with the stack sizes being as they are, you get paid either way.

It"s more likely he doesn"t have Kx though, and I think I"d prefer to give him the rope to hang himself a little more.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 14:26:26 PM »
if we were to flat call the flop,i just think with our image calling would look suspicious.
With him being fairly tight and with us having trips,to extract any value on flop or further streets,the small probe re-raise met induce the Kx type to re-raise on the flop,if he has a pocket pair, Kx hand or a bluff attempt at orphans which it looks like with the probe bet on the flop,again to him after the small re-raise and if we then checked the turn he met pay us off on the river [we VB] or if he is bluffing he met attempt it again on the river.

is that a way to go?  any other options?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 14:29:17 PM by noble1 »

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 15:28:02 PM »
i take it everyone is discounting that the villian could have pocket 22 - its a small possibilty

i would call the BB"s bet as he leads out then raise on on the turn or river

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 16:59:51 PM »
The only other options to the re-raise are fold or call ,folding on the bubble with trip kings is a distant thought for me at these late stages,if i were to call i would slow play this hand. Nothing out there to really scare us expect pocket deuces but that's just one of those times when if he does have it, it's time to get up.LOL.

it still seems like a probing bet too me with a medium pocket pair.If i were to go with the calling option i"d play as slow as i can to get as much as i can.
I think i would have a hard time getting value out of a tight player here...

EDIT - as villian has seen us shove a river with no showdown,we do have a shoving option i guess,it will take the pot down the vast majority of times but may well get paid off if villian does have a king......
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 17:05:46 PM by noble1 »

Hammerheid

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 04:47:45 AM »
I"d shove all day every day , hope he calls with any pair other than 2s