Author Topic: Crash & Burn in the Warm-up...thoughts on hand.  (Read 3743 times)

Sugarnes

• Bronze Member
Crash & Burn in the Warm-up...thoughts on hand.
« on: September 28, 2009, 16:05:32 PM »
Howdi to the great and the good.  Played the Warm-up yesterday and stormed out first level in a blaze of glory (well that"s the way I like to see it!).  Be interested in people"s view on the hand I crashed and burned on. 

Early on no big stack changes, no action of note, no read on anyone and I"m at 9.2kish. Blinds 25/50
I"m in mid-late position with 6c6d.  About 3 limpers behind - I follow - and another in front then BB raises it to 3-4BB.
UTG+1 (first to act hereafter the villian) and me call - leaving me in position with 3 seeing the flop and about 600 in the pot.

Flop:
ac 7c 6s

BB makes roughly a pot-sized bet (chat reveals after had AQ).
Villian re-raises to about 1800.

Decision (a) - pot now about 3k - enough strong hands out there that I"m well ahead of that fit with opponents play AK, AQ, A7, A6 (wider imo for BB) but at this stage wrong though this may be I"m happy to take a nice pot here and now and not worry about flush or straight draws. 

I re-raise it up to about 3.8k.  Leaving just over 5k behind.  BB folds, Villian shoves putting me all in.

Decision (b) - I now think draws are less likely but both that and big aces or 2-pair options are good possibilities.  Villian reveals 77 for better set, turn gives brings qc giving me the unlikely flush but river bricks.

In retrospect I think my main error is that the bulk of my analysis is after the event - at the time I didn"t think it through properly and didn"t really have a plan. 

Be as plain as you see fit - I"m a nit I can take it.

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
Re: Crash & Burn in the Warm-up...thoughts on hand.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 16:15:22 PM »
i dont see what u did wrong here . no reads and early early on just unlucky u ran set over set which is very unlikely ...looked like a  draw betting you off the pot
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 16:15:47 PM »
don"t sweat set under set too much, unlucky.

i"d have probably jammed flop or called rather than the raise you chose to make but the money would go in anyway.

be realistic, at what point would you fold?
Looking forward to making my first day 2

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 16:23:57 PM »
A simple cooler.

I suggest that in a standard online tourney, if you don"t go bust here, you"re too passive. Didn"t matter how you played this on the flop, it was all going in...

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 16:25:58 PM »
cooler and you should always be going broke here imo

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 16:43:59 PM »
As harrington says in his books if you fold a three of a kind in this situation then you shouldn"t be playing (or words to that effect)

Sugarnes

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 16:55:54 PM »
Well that"s quite unanimous so far....and strangely has genuinely made me feel a little better.  Less so than watching X-factor with the gf did at the time!  Thanks all.

Harrington  :D - I do remember how he fairly plainly talks about people having a feeling or whatever etc before folding a set.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 16:59:37 PM »
After the flop you have gotta be a bit worried about the flush, as in the early stages soooted cards are often prized, and let the chase commence! So there are two options here IMO, that is shove and scare off any flushing, or call, with a view to laying down when flushing or straightening cards hit the board.
Having said all that, I really don"t see anybody getting away from it, set over set is just bad luck, and it happens!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013