Author Topic: quads what would you do?  (Read 4776 times)

maverick1

quads what would you do?
« on: November 17, 2009, 22:27:16 PM »
in my pub league last night final table 3 handed im in the big stack about 50k against 2 short stacks so im killing it.

blinds 2k 4k

my hand small blind  8c 8d

button folds and i call the big blind who announces no raise

flop comes  8h 8s :3d:

ive flopped quad 8"s inside im going mad! right now for extraction!

i check, he usually bets when checked to him but he checks behind me (not a good start)

turn  9s

as he checked behind me on the flop i assume he missed holding high cards (or possibly a pile of rubbish hitting bottom pair), feeling a small value bet would knock him off i check, surely he"s gotta bet, nope he checks behind again (not too happy right now)

river  5d

should i bet, no lets get him to induce a bluff and il come over the top, i check he checks behind.

quad 8"s 3 handed end of tourney and i win the blinds lol not good!

everyone cant believe how bad i played quads, i argued i played it the best i could reading him well knowing his style, he said he put me on high cards.

so he didnt get a read on me, so how and where did i go wrong? what would you have done?

samuel_9

• Gold Member
Re: quads what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 22:43:34 PM »
if you think hes going to bet after you check the flop the only way your getting chips is if he thinks your at it you have 2 bet the turn hes going 2 put you on a draw if he has ak or any pair hes going 2 call  your there 2 win chips y check

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 22:45:34 PM »
min bet the flop, if he calls, check the turn, then bet the river.

the least you should have done here is bet the river, you cant rely on others to bet for you all the time, he has checked twice so likely wanting to check all the way, I suppose you have to look at it this way

worst case; you bet he folds

best case; you bet he raises all in and you snap it off

either way you can only gain from betting as checking means you get nothing anyway.

APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 22:59:17 PM »
if he has any semblance of a hand, he may well play at a donk lead on the flop. if he has nothing, c"est la vie. lead the flop and he is unlikely to put you on an 8 and might play back at you..... 

If you know him to be a highly aggressive position player, then checking the flop is the right thing to do.  However in my opinion, a donk lead out on a paired board is often good.

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 23:24:15 PM »
So you"ve got 12 BBs and you"re the chip leader?

You"ve got no room for being fancy (especially if you play as badly as this hand suggests) and should shoving 99.99999999% of your range preflop in this spot!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 23:27:56 PM by JamieCarra »

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 00:15:11 AM »
 Somtimes getting such a big hand is never gonna get paid off. 
After the flop, everything is all about table image. If you have lead out, and then folded to a repop recently, then lead out. If your opponent is a know floater, then lead out etc.....
you just play on you image. Somtimes hard in pub games however, opponents are usually not sophisticated enough to observe other hands, so building up an image can be very hard. And because they all tried to tell you how to play, i reckon they probably are unsophisticated.  ;)

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 00:20:13 AM »

So you"ve got 12 BBs and you"re the chip leader?

You"ve got no room for being fancy (especially if you play as badly as this hand suggests) and should shoving 99.99999999% of your range preflop in this spot!

this.....esp with a pair like 8s

if he has any semblance of a hand, he may well play at a donk lead on the flop. if he has nothing, c"est la vie. lead the flop and he is unlikely to put you on an 8 and might play back at you..... 

If you know him to be a highly aggressive position player, then checking the flop is the right thing to do.  However in my opinion, a donk lead out on a paired board is often good.

but if not this.. he cant put u on much if you lead at this kind of board. If he calls check the turn to encourage the float...mind you this is pub poker so prob doesn"t know what a float is.

Typical pub poker imo

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:34:33 AM »
raise preflop
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
100% raise pre - I see no reason to limp w/ 12x wen u r chipleader.  Stucture obv makes the blinds at this stage extremely valuable.  
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »

raise preflop

Standard at this stage.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »
can i also add that getting value from quads with 12bbs is the least of a poker player"s worries. It happens so infrequently that it is hardly going to improve one"s long-term win-rate that much. If he is aggro then raising pre to induce a shove is good for starters, maybe donking the turn is good again to induce as played, but flatting pre isn"t good unless you know he is always going to jam when you limp BvB.

I guess most live players default would be to check to the river and let him catch up, which is ok i suppose when you only have 12bb to get in the middle
Looking forward to making my first day 2