Author Topic: Cash Game Advice - Playing against short stack shovers  (Read 3287 times)

RicayBoy

• Silver Member
Cash Game Advice - Playing against short stack shovers
« on: May 27, 2011, 20:59:44 PM »
Hi all

I am looking for some advice for playing against short stacks in online cash games

I play full ring games at 0.25/0.50 or 0.50/1.00 sort of levels. I normally buy in for the max. to try and maximise my winnings from good hands. However I am struggling against short stack guys who typically buy in for 20 BB

What sort of range do I need to call their three bet shoves which is a pretty typical play after a raise or a raise and a call. I suppose it depends on what I put their shoving range to be but does anyone have any general guidelines for playing against these tossers interesting opponents?
Proud Member of Team Luton

Zozzy

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Re: Cash Game Advice - Playing against short stack shovers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 22:59:56 PM »
Ricay you have sort of answered your own question. You need to put them on a range which varies from player to player. Every time it goes to showdown make a note on their notepad.
Some of them simply push on the flop with fold equity with any two when playing small stakes, but very often the shortstack will not want to see a flop and either push or fold to your raise. If you identify this type of shortstacker you need to keep your raise size down to 2Xbb. You can still steal the blinds this way and minimize your loss if you have to fold. It is important to raise less times in early position.
I originally thought that you needed to tighten up your own range but after research I found that it is a mistake to tighten up too much especially in late pos because the shortstacker will often fold too often or push too light which is to your advantage.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:58:44 AM by Zozzy »
England Team member WCOAP 2017
APAT Christmas Cracker winner 2016
Gold Medal-2012 Scottish Online Championship
Player of the Series October 2012
Silver Medal-2011 English Amateur Poker Championship

Twitter @CraigZozzy

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:10:49 AM »
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:35:31 AM by noble1 »

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »
SS cant play post flop, if they could then they would have more money on the table. They are looking to flip coins weighted in their favour. If they shove on you then your calling range should be 55+, A8 +, suited and non suited broadways.

Sillbags

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 03:47:40 AM »
^
some good links here
http://shortstackrevolution.com/
This guy sells a package of training vids and a lot of charts on different senarios. The most most complete guide to shortstacking I"ve seen. It"s about $300, but you can get it for free if you know where to look  ;)

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 14:23:01 PM »
So someone selling strategy advice for shortstacking? Shortstackers ruin cash games imo, all it takes is 2 of them at a 6 max table for me to leave. Glad stars have deep tables now. The only reason to watch these vids is to figure out how to combat them, but id rather try and play 100bbs + tables anyway.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 14:25:16 PM by WYoung83 »

Sillbags

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 16:36:04 PM »
I used these training vids to experiment with the 20bb cap games on stars. I am not recommending shortstacking, simply providing someone with some info they have asked for. Fwiw there is a lot more to being a successful shortstacker than you would think. I prefer playing at full stack tables, but shortstack strat is definately worth learning, especially for mtt"rs who frequently find themselves at 20bbs, where correct opening/reshoving ranges are crucial.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 17:29:45 PM by Sillbags »

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 16:44:29 PM »

So someone selling strategy advice for shortstacking? Shortstackers ruin cash games imo, all it takes is 2 of them at a 6 max table for me to leave. Glad stars have deep tables now. The only reason to watch these vids is to figure out how to combat them, but id rather try and play 100bbs + tables anyway.

Just because you don"t like shortstack strategy, doesn"t mean it is a bad play. I know many people who play shortstack (20x and 30x) strategies at levels from 10NL to 100NL, and are profitable.  Like you, I prefer to play at least 100x, and do avoid tables that are full of shortstacks, however that doesn"t mean shortstackers are donks, or are ruining cash games - they are simply playing a different strategy to you.