Author Topic: First one of these really!!  (Read 5557 times)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
First one of these really!!
« on: July 22, 2012, 01:24:08 AM »
Just had a hand happened to me, playing a 4max tourney on pokerstars

No real reads on anyone on the table, its 4 max, so every apart from me seems to think  that calling alot is the right thing to do!! This one confused me though, thoughts on all stages please.

PokerStars Hand #83664483573: Tournament #586764782, $3.00+$0.30 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level V (30/60) - 2012/07/22 1:20:35 WET [2012/07/21 20:20:35 ET]
Table "586764782 1" 4-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: ary gavokh (4764 in chips)
Seat 2: Shmaluga (7395 in chips)
Seat 3: Rogerio52 (4490 in chips)
Seat 4: fatcatstu (7460 in chips)
Rogerio52: posts small blind 30
fatcatstu: posts big blind 60
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to fatcatstu [8s Ad]
ary gavokh: folds
Shmaluga: calls 60
Rogerio52: folds
fatcatstu: raises 120 to 180
Shmaluga: calls 120
*** FLOP *** [Ts Ac 7h]
fatcatstu: bets 292
Shmaluga: calls 292
*** TURN *** [Ts Ac 7h] [Qd]
fatcatstu: bets 730
Shmaluga: calls 730
*** RIVER *** [Ts Ac 7h Qd] [Kd]
fatcatstu: checks
Shmaluga: bets 6193 and is all-in
???????????????
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Re: First one of these really!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 08:25:07 AM »
Looks like a pretty clear fold to me. His line is pretty strong tbh.

Preflop the raise is fine, his call could be loads of stuff so his range is still super wide at this point. Hard to narrow down except for to eliminate total air. Really big hands should also reraise so he can"t have things like 99+ or AQ+.

When you hit the Ace you have to carry one. I don"t think he needs to have an ace to call you here. He could have a queen and I think hands like KQ and QJ are in his range. When he calls we can put him on

Ax (probably AJ and below), or two pair? The only set that is even possible should be 77. A! might have re raised preflop but he could have to A7 is also possible. a hand with a ten is possible such as T9 or TJ.

The turn does not change anything as it should not improve his hand and you make a bet and he calls. Not sure I am liking my hand too much any more. I still can"t see what he has but the two calls lead me to believe he might be really strong as I can"t see what he is drawing too. I actually think he has a better ace at the moment.

The King is a horrible card. Your check is fine and he shoves? Well a good ace should have checked. Two pair should have checked and a set should have checked. He has a jack or nothing I think. At this level he probably has a jack (I am going to guess AJ, although TJ is also possible).

I would fold (although sometimes I might call and then get annoyed with myself when I lose).
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

jayteejack

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:39:15 AM »
mmm...........tank a little, pretend you got a big decision, realise you wouldnt be beating much, FOLD

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 11:23:47 AM »
if u feel u have to raise a rag ace up this deep oop versus loose types that enjoy calling then maybe u could cbet only a polarized range, and to go for a delayed cbet with medium-strength holdings on the turn/river... this way u can manipulate your opponents ranges so that u can get value more often when u are ahead, pick off the odd stabber bluffs after u check flops, and on the turn get folds a bit more often when u are behind [think about that]..  this met help u avoid building a huge pot with mediocre holdings and it will add balance to your flop checks and turn bets....

as played check fold is perfectly fine, maybe we could argue the bet sizing is maybe a tad to big, villain can peel with all sorts of KJ J9 sort of hands or he may even be bad enough to turn 2pair into a bluff which u dont beat anyhows, maybe very rarely the odd $3 villain/maniac fish can bluff 89 or a small pair but its not worth calling this deep to find out with no reads:)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 11:45:02 AM »

if u feel u have to raise a rag ace up this deep oop versus loose types that enjoy calling then maybe u could cbet only a polarized range, and to go for a delayed cbet with medium-strength holdings on the turn/river... this way u can manipulate your opponents ranges so that u can get value more often when u are ahead, pick off the odd stabber bluffs after u check flops, and on the turn get folds a bit more often when u are behind [think about that]..  this met help u avoid building a huge pot with mediocre holdings and it will add balance to your flop checks and turn bets....

You did that on purpose didnt you?!?!? How am i meant to mentally prepare for my gaame of cricket this afternoon with that nonsense floating around my head?!?!

As it happens, i think i may have been a little drunk when i posted this.

My thoughts now...

Bet sizing - far bigger than i normally would!

Does the fact that it is 4-max not mean my A is likely to be ahead more often?

As it happens i check folded to the shove, after informing my laptop that if pokerstars kept this kind of thing up it would be taking another very fast trip across my bedroom to meet Mr Wall.

Just seemed like i wasnt beating anything at all at that point, which is a shame as i had been playing rather well up until then!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 21:57:09 PM »
check pre, given reads. You are playing a hand out of position with a vulnerable hand
lead flop given that you have hit your ace
check turn for pot control as your hand is pretty marginal.
as played You have to fold river and take this idiots chips in a better spot
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 13:48:12 PM »

check pre, given reads. You are playing a hand out of position with a vulnerable hand

Why is he an idiot?

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 21:56:16 PM »

Why is he an idiot?

hate the river shove. Is it a good move though? maybe I"m being harsh and need educating
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 22:20:13 PM »
Listen, Stu is a fish - he just met a bigger fish - he has to live with that  ;D

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 23:04:19 PM »
Deffo check pre. Your hand isn"t strong enough to fire multiple barrels either. I"ll go as far as saying I"d wanna c/fold turn
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 13:30:01 PM »

Why is he an idiot?

hate the river shove. Is it a good move though? maybe I"m being harsh and need educating

Nah, that"s fair enough, agree a value bet would have been much better on river, I don"t hate the way he has played the hand overall though, far from it. I could be miles off on this one mind.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 10:50:21 AM »
Pre started a disaster, just check and bluff catch down the streets.
Looking forward to making my first day 2