Author Topic: Playing 30BB in an APAT  (Read 3033 times)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Playing 30BB in an APAT
« on: July 02, 2013, 20:45:48 PM »
Hi Guy"s

I wanted to make a post about this in the strategy section as I think it is a good discussion point that came up in another thread recently. It is very relevant to APAT Championship events, the question was how do you play a 30BB effective stack. Let us assume the event is an APAT National Championship and we are sat on a 30K stack at the 500/1000/100 level and are playing a 9 man table. The table is a standard APAT table, a couple of easier spots, a few standard spots and a couple of what would be considered good players.

So we have a 30BB stack and some will be shorter others will be deeper but what is our plan. What are we looking out for, how are we gaining an edge on the table and what types of player do we want to be playing against, how are we going to exploit them. This is the stage where you can really gain an advantage as there are a number of players (often including myself) who do not play this stage optimally.

What are your opening ranges from each position and how do the players involved change that. What is the correct opening raise size, correct 3-bet size, 4-bet size. Are you going to be 3-betting light in any spots, what about 4-betting light?

People thoughts on this would be good to hear I think.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
Re: Playing 30BB in an APAT
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 20:48:55 PM »
This is way too general question to answer.
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 20:56:57 PM »
Let me try and expand on that cos it"s probably not too helpful

A 30bb is probably the toughest stack to play not just in an apat comp but in most poker tournaments.

Your question is dependant on so many factors. Stack sizes, history, playing styles, table dynamic (history mood)

In general it"s best not to get too ool with this type of stack but the factors above may change that
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 22:22:50 PM »
 Well im really bad at explaining myself in posts, but gonna try.

I think with around 30 BBs you should probably play a very tight range from early position and really start to loosen up from mid-late position (well depending on opponents and stack sizes behind you, watch out for short stacks who are decant players because they are gonna be shoving very often to pick up the dead money out there).

I often hear others say that 20-30 bbs is a stack size you should try and protect but im of the opinion that you really do need to start getting involved in pots in position vs people who defend SB and BB way to light, or fishy people who limp with hands they want to just "see a flop". Stealing the antes and picking up small pots vs the BB is essential now. My opening raise would always be the same i think 2x-2.25x somthing like that (maybe this is a leak in my game) isolating a limper and 3 betting light is position and opponent dependant of course, and i think 4 betting light when this short is setting money on fire.