Author Topic: Completely Card Dead but made it to break... KK... shove, raise or limp...  (Read 3090 times)

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
Its been a bit quiet in here lately so lets start summin up.....

Fancied a crack at the poker player online freeroll yesterday at BS, was completely card dead for the whole tournemnt until my last hand where you can guess what happened!!!  ::)

Anyway made it to break after some v nitty survival poker due to some poor early decisions on my part. Found a "half my stack" spot to steal some chips and double up, a couple of hands later looked down at kings. And the below happened, gots me chips in as a ~70/30 fav.... but still lost, should I have AI raised and settled for blinds considering next level I am only gonna have 5xBB in front of me?

(IMO the villian would"ve still busted my boys with a call but was this a viable option?)

Poker Player GUKPT Freeroll (150/300)
TPTP 2010
SB 2190
Preflop: TPTP is UTG+2 with  kd kh.
2 fold, TPTP raises to 600, 5 folds, SB All in 2340, UTG+2 TPTP calls guessing SB has Ax (-AA, Sheer instinct) and feels it in his belly that an Ace is a coming rnd the corner!!

Flop: (14.4BB)  7h :2d: ac (2 players)
Turn: (14.4BB) ts (2 players)
River: (14.4BB)  6h (2 players)

Its a prettty clear raise/shove sit tbh for this kind of tournement and I wld prob do the same thing again given the player, my stack, his stack and our positions but I wonder if there is some next level thinking I can aspire to for these kind of hands?

Given that we could have instead...

Opt 1: 2-3xBB Raise
Opt 2: Shove
Opt 3: Limp
Opt 4: Fold

... and things could panned out differently....  :-\?

Is there a better way to minimise our stack deplenishing when we are behind 30% of the time?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 14:18:49 PM by TopPair2Pair »
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Completely Card Dead but made it to break... KK... shove, raise or limp...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 15:18:16 PM »
Open shove is surely standard here. There is no room for higher level thinking given the blinds and your stack size. There are plenty of weaker hands that will call you here. The guy who shoved on you with Ax would have probably called a shove as well.

By min raising you are pretty much pot committed and most players would know that, so anyone who comes over the top of you is expecting a call
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 15:59:54 PM »
Given that this is a freeroll and only top 10 from 800 (or so) are getting anything then you have to make riskier moves in order to get chipped up imo.

I like the min raise to maximise chips in the pot on the understanding that you are not folding the hand under any circumstances. The shove might lose all you customers.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 17:42:50 PM »

I like the min raise to maximise chips in the pot on the understanding that you are not folding the hand under any circumstances. The shove might lose all you customers.

yep agree. As a shortstack who is desperate to find some (lots of) chips, I would be wanting to get all in to a showdown with at least one other in this spot. In anything other than a freeroll, I"m hoping for a headsup showdown, but to be honest, in one of these bingo freerolls, I"d be happy to get into a 5 way showdown and either bust out, or come away with a significant stack.  that multi way action isn"t going to happen with an open-shove here. Milk the pot and drag others in.  Would have done it just like you did.

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »
Given that this is a freeroll and only top 10 from 800 (or so) are getting anything then you have to make riskier moves in order to get chipped up imo.

Thanks for those of you that responsed, apologies for my lack of acknowledgment I wanted to think over this hand for some time before responding.

Basically, In hindsight I was trying to be tooo trappy and trapped meself!

I remember predicting the hand before it happened as I clicked the raise button saying to myself "raise, fold fold fold, allin call... double"d up babyyy...YEEESSSS... NOOOO"

If anything, its been a lesson in position more then anything, I wanted to try and use my ep to my advantage. Swines right it surely should"ve been an open raise all in given that I was UTG+2 making SB shove a harder decision, just tried to be too clever. Maybe on the day I would"ve shoved if it had been 300/600 instead.

Going forward in this tournement i"ll still play it trappy but maybe just limp from ep! (some ppl never learn, eh!)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 16:40:27 PM by TopPair2Pair »
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"