Author Topic: Final Table bubble, 2 chipleaders  (Read 3614 times)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Final Table bubble, 2 chipleaders
« on: August 02, 2010, 23:19:43 PM »
go on then, i"ll post a hand that i think about alot but have never posted for others thoughts. I guess we"ll do it in stages.

note - not doing this as a brag but was a fairly interesting hand

Scenario - £1k event at DTD, day 3 and 10 players left from 300, so final table bubble. We are five handed on two tables and the tournament had £4k for out next, 6k for 9th, going up to £93k for the winner. All of this is big money to me so fairly unchartered territory. Deep stacks, EPT structure and 60/75 minute clock.

I have been chipleader since start of the day and have c1,450,000. second place is on my right is "wadey" ashraf for those who frequent DTD. Historically (not in this comp) he always gets there vs me but with position i have taken quite a few smallish pots postflop without anything really funky going off, he has only been at my table for about 30 minutes though.

However some guy has just 5bet all in pre against him with JJ and he had aces. There are now 2 shortish stacks on the FT bubble. He is just raking in the chips and has c1,300,000. As he is stacking up he looks down at his cards and raises to 48k at 8k/16k/2k. I notice this is slightly larger than his normal raise. I have  7c 8c and elect to call on the button, i did ponder 3betting but thought flatting with this hand was better.

Flop  9c tc  ts and Wadey leads for 90k which also looks rather large to me for his normal c-bet sizing.

what do you do??
Looking forward to making my first day 2

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
Re: Final Table bubble, 2 chipleaders
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 00:38:34 AM »
I would like to think at this stage I would fold pre but probably would peel as you did

I would call and probably give up if I miss the turn and he bets big
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 03:26:54 AM »
90,000 into 130,000 , if his tendencies on cbetting suddenly change i"d favour a good player to be mostly betting for value here with some bluffs occasionally on this texture 80bb ish effective.
Like George i"d call and peel another , i"d do it with a plan in mind but as you want to do the hand in stages i"ll hold back.
When playing him in the past have you any reads/history Dean that he would play an overpair like this post-flop no matter the texture? Also how do you think villain perceives you and your image at the time? [and vice versa]

i"m just for more info..

edit - as i was replying in Dan"s thread i thought about your pondering the 3bet , i"d prefer this pre especially if you think villain will start to open less giving u the opportunity to open more, all on the dynamics at the time but worth considering imho.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:23:40 AM by noble1 »

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 07:37:27 AM »
Callings usually good - but what does he think about ur flatting tendancies?  Do you float a lot on these flops?  
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 09:12:33 AM »

I would like to think at this stage I would fold pre but probably would peel as you did

I would call and probably give up if I miss the turn and he bets big

This is my line also, you can afford it and if you hit !
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:54:20 AM »
: I think I"d take the calling line and see what pops up on turn.

: some kind of pot control, i wouldn"t want to start getting into a raising war (if he is mr aggro) +end up a small stack against a poss boat(if it gets made) at this stage of tourney.(or is this being too puss y)?

: Obv happy days if str8flsh hits, Don"t know if you"d get big pay off then, unless he puts u on As ish? or smaller house?

: I haven"t been in this position for this amount of money? I don"t think i need to try and bust him for meggah stack with risk of ending up with 4-6k. Now i"ve got the greenbacks in my eyes :o
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »
Please tell me he had JT and the jc comes on the turn giving him the full house and you the straight flush!!  Actually, that can"t have happened - as I"d have heard all about it by now from Wadey, at least twice ;)

I don"t think you have much option here other than to call.  If you raise, you"re turning your hand into a complete bluff and have to fold to a re-raise.  You aren"t folding for 90K, so it"s a call.

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 12:43:22 PM »
wanted to raise here but i guess i bottled it and made the call given i had position on the next street and i could possibly win the pot if i missed by him checking to me.

However the turn was the  :as: and he bet 140,000.....
Looking forward to making my first day 2

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:58:41 AM »
its early and my brain slows down after 3am lol so forgive me when i say fold ... Your plan was to take it down on the turn if he checked? If so, it is a fold now he bets, you give little reads so to work out if it is +ev to bluff 4th street or float and bluff the river is just meh... Hand combi for villain without knowing his bluffing tendencies on the fly i make around 21 crushing u 18 overs that he has turned into a bluff plus a maybe bluff % with air , 450,000 ish in the pot 3.1 ish to call...Without some idea to what sort of range he"d 2 barrel with its not worth contemplating a bluff imo and a call on the turn is just digging a hole for ourselves without knowing how he perceives u just calling 2 streets on this texture?

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 12:07:53 PM »
Dont normally post my thoughts but read other opinions, as this kind of thinking is above me at the mo...but my 2p.

Could you consider that as he has just one a big hand (5betting jj vs aces and winning) his emotions are on a high...he then looked up at his cards, and flicked in a abnormally high raise as you stated.

Still stacking up his chips..chucks in another abnormally high c-bet, while no doubt noting your just calling so far.

Ace is a good scare, but fairly harmless on this flop, a10 only being the real danger. 140k is another big bet..but u still have around 1m if you call.

I"d be thinking (maybe wrongly no doubt) that if the magic 6c or jc drops in I"m taking it all...and any club, and outs for the straight and i"m pretty certain it is mine too.

Is this a case for implied odds?...if you call the Turn, still leaving you with 1m, and 2 short stackers to ladder in a short while, and if you miss all your outs, then you can fold...but if you hit, he clear has a big hand so will river bet most times to some degree?

Just some fish thinking........ ::)
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013