Author Topic: Which Regional Team Can I Play For?  (Read 73773 times)

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Which Regional Team Can I Play For?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »

I appreciate why you have made this ruling Des but calling Scotland (or Ireland or Wales) a "region" or the team a "regional team" is not doing it for me.

Whilst this may be the official title of the team all the players will call it APAT Team Scotland. The facebook group had 53 members within 2 hours of being set up last night and currently has 61. There is no question from anybody about Edinburgh/Glasgow/Dundee etc. they are all instantly signed up for Scotland. Take a look at the replys in the sign up threads, I haven"t counted, but Scotland is building a strong team.

I am also concerned that not playing online for Scotland reduces my (or other Scots in the same position) chances of being picking to play for, or captain, Scotland in any International events.

That is not the case.  I can"t recall too many International team selections being made on performances in the National Online Leauge.  That said, with this league if you finish as the highest individual Scot you will be selected for the International squad.  That"s guaranteed.  You don"t need to play for the Scottish Region to achieve that.

I agree with what you say about selections in the past, I am suggesting it would be different given the new dynamics.

So are you saying that if I was the highest scoring player in the Yorkshire region I would get a place in the Scottish team?? or I could be 3rd in Yorkshire but my points are compared to other Scottish players and therefore the individual who is top of the Scotland team could have less than me and therefore not get the place?? I think you mean the latter but clarification would be appreciated.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »

I appreciate why you have made this ruling Des but calling Scotland (or Ireland or Wales) a "region" or the team a "regional team" is not doing it for me.

Whilst this may be the official title of the team all the players will call it APAT Team Scotland. The facebook group had 53 members within 2 hours of being set up last night and currently has 61. There is no question from anybody about Edinburgh/Glasgow/Dundee etc. they are all instantly signed up for Scotland. Take a look at the replys in the sign up threads, I haven"t counted, but Scotland is building a strong team.

I am also concerned that not playing online for Scotland reduces my (or other Scots in the same position) chances of being picking to play for, or captain, Scotland in any International events.

That is not the case.  I can"t recall too many International team selections being made on performances in the National Online Leauge.  That said, with this league if you finish as the highest individual Scot you will be selected for the International squad.  That"s guaranteed.  You don"t need to play for the Scottish Region to achieve that.

I agree with what you say about selections in the past, I am suggesting it would be different given the new dynamics.

So are you saying that if I was the highest scoring player in the Yorkshire region I would get a place in the Scottish team?? or I could be 3rd in Yorkshire but my points are compared to other Scottish players and therefore the individual who is top of the Scotland team could have less than me and therefore not get the place?? I think you mean the latter but clarification would be appreciated.

The way I read it was the highest placed Scot would get a place in the Scottish team (etc. for the other nationalities)

It didn"t really seem ambiguous imo, but I could always be wrong
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »
At risk of sounding stupid - which region does Oxfordshire fall into?

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »

The highest placing individual Scottish player at the end of the 15 matches will be awarded a Scotland squad place, no matter which Region he or she plays for.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 12:38:48 PM »

At risk of sounding stupid - which region does Oxfordshire fall into?

South East (according to the government)
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2012, 12:41:11 PM »
In the words of another ex-pat Scot  

I"m Out!

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »

The highest placing individual Scottish player at the end of the 15 matches will be awarded a Scotland squad place, no matter which Region he or she plays for.

Thanks for the clarification Des. Don"t think it will be a problem anyway.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
I"m not quite sure how or why we have ended up at this point ?

The Online League has run for two years with the rule that players were asked to join their local team, or where appropriate,their "hometown" team.  It was never an issue, and although some individuals were questioned about their choice of team, this was often self policed, and where necessary dealt with in the background, without the need for a full blown discussion.

With the introduction of fewer, now larger regional teams, I would have expected less of an issue about players choice of teams, and with the refreshed league, it would create a more competitive league that was fair to all.

By adding regions that are actual countries, I can fully understand players wishing to play for their team of birth.  I certainly wouldn"t want to play against my country, which is basically what I would have to do.

I do however respect the decision of Des and APAT, as they have to do what they consider is balanced and fair for all players.  It just means that I"ll have to miss out on the leagues.  Not the end of the world as there"s plenty of other ways to continue to support what APAT does.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 12:59:24 PM »

I"m not quite sure how or why we have ended up at this point ?

The Online League has run for two years with the rule that players were asked to join their local team, or where appropriate,their "hometown" team.  It was never an issue, and although some individuals were questioned about their choice of team, this was often self policed, and where necessary dealt with in the background, without the need for a full blown discussion.

With the introduction of fewer, now larger regional teams, I would have expected less of an issue about players choice of teams, and with the refreshed league, it would create a more competitive league that was fair to all.

By adding regions that are actual countries, I can fully understand players wishing to play for their team of birth.  I certainly wouldn"t want to play against my country, which is basically what I would have to do.

I do however respect the decision of Des and APAT, as they have to do what they consider is balanced and fair for all players.  It just means that I"ll have to miss out on the leagues.  Not the end of the world as there"s plenty of other ways to continue to support what APAT does.

+1

I was just going to post "I"m out" but as always you have put it more eloquently than I ever could.

Sef

• Regional Captain
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 13:06:04 PM »
very nicely put leigh. This was the reason i asked about if choosing a different team with justification but it seems it was misread in someway and i was branded as "being awkward" shame really as for some it"s put a downer on such a great looking league.
You can only play pocket jacks 3 ways, all of which are wrong.

It's only a gambling problem if you are losing :D

Follow me on twitter @pbsef

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 13:08:46 PM »

+1

I was just going to post "I"m out" but as always you have put it more eloquently than I ever could.

I think he should give us lessons on "how to remain eloquent when posting". Could be a nice little income stream.  ;)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 13:09:23 PM »
Those decisions astound me I have to say.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 13:10:47 PM »

Those decisions astound me I have to say.

perhaps as much as your decision astounds us?

Hammerite

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2012, 13:12:10 PM »
Am I to take it that if people are not going to play against their country of birth (which is their choice obviously), then is it  the end of the home internationals A & B teams where everyone is required to play against players from their home countries. Just asking ? Apologies if a bit off thread but it is all linked I guess.
S2 Irish OL Gold, WCOLAP Main Gold
S4 UK Silver, Scots Silver
S5 WCOLAP Omaha Bronze
S6 WCOLAP Omaha 2nd, WCOLAP Omaha H/L 3rd
S7 English OL Omaha 3rd, Irish Bronze
S8 Irish OL Silver, WCOAP Stud Silver, WCOAP Horse Gold
S9 WCOLAP Bounty k/o 1st
S10 Euro OL Bronze
S12 Scots OL Silver
T: Eng/Apat

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2012, 13:15:06 PM »

Am I to take it that if people are not going to play against their country of birth (which is their choice obviously), then is it  the end of the home internationals A & B teams where everyone is required to play against players from their home countries. Just asking ? Apologies if a bit off thread but it is all linked I guess.

A & B Teams slightly different but if you follow the logic being applied here through, I will only be available for england, cos that"s where I live, along with Ger, Des, Stu, Leigh etc.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 13:17:57 PM by GiMac »