Author Topic: Which Regional Team Can I Play For?  (Read 73692 times)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Re: Which Regional Team Can I Play For?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 13:53:36 PM »

Those decisions astound me I have to say.

Me too! Bloody hell guys you are playing Poker in a amateur, low buy in event, I can"t believe the team you play for is that important, after all the whole purpose of these events is to have a laugh and play some good standard Poker. If I moved to Glasgow I would happily play for Scotland, and if there was an England team I would play against them too. I am a proud Yorshireman, but I am having to play for the North West, cos that where I live, no big deal!
As a Yorkshireman I played junior County cricket for Lancashire, then played senior Cricket for Worcester, before ending my career playing for Cumberland, and I made great friends all over the country playing a game I loved! I"m rambling now, but FFS guys get behind the concept, the rules and play some Poker!! :)

slag  ;)

LOL
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 13:55:27 PM »

Given the strength of feeling on this issue, I will organise discussions with Richard Baker, Stuart Oliver, John Murray and Rich Prew conerning 1) Regional borders and 2) Player Eligibility.  Having the discussions doesn"t necessarily mean the current positon will change, but Rich and I will listen to all sides and communicate an outcome later this evening.

Is this the APAT players committee?
If not does this prove we need one?

Everyone feeds into APAT decision making and everyone is listened to Andy.  Rich and I make the final decisions based on what is discussed.  I am discussing this particular issue in more detail with the above players as they are particularly affected by it.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 14:05:38 PM »
I think for regional game which it is you should play for where you live , right decision in my eyes. You play for where you live , easily policed and fair enough. If you want to play for Scotland Wales etc win the league and play for them in the COUNTRY competition. Now stop crying and say well done Apat for sorting it !

cashman

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 14:07:25 PM »

I think for regional game which it is you should play for where you live , right decision in my eyes. You play for where you live , easily policed and fair enough. If you want to play for Scotland Wales etc win the league and play for them in the COUNTRY competition. Now stop crying and say well done Apat for sorting it !

+1
TEAM GOTHAM  (penguin)
Gold Medalist APAT ECOAP 2012 for Team Republic of Ireland

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 14:09:04 PM »
My grandad was Scottish + I have a Scottish name and this is brewing up nationalistic feelings in me I didn"t know I had!
Please don"t change the rules again or I might find myself joining the Scottish team  ;D
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 14:11:45 PM »

Can"t believe all that I"ve just read. We"re talking about a little weekly $10 poker comp with some significant added value but which has taken a huge amount of negotiation and organisation by the guys at APAT.

Yet despite all that, we have people throwing toys out of the pram?    For crying out loud, I"d even play for Stockton if it meant I could get a decent game with a decent bunch of people, and some competitive spirit every week...... and although I was born in Bournemouth, I don"t feel the need to play for a Southern Region - I live in the West Midlands, and will be happy to play with them as my local region.

Need to see the bigger picture here guys.

It"s a bit different playing for a region of England as opposed to saying heres an England team but you can only play for Ireland. I"m sure most would rather play for their country as we have seen a few express.

I think that"s why lots of people are baffled.

If you play for the Scottish team - you are NOT playing for your country, you are playing for a team with the handy label of Scotland.

Similarly you won"t be playing against your country if you don"t - you"ll be playing against people who happen to live in Scotland.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

smasher37

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 14:15:36 PM »
I dont normally get involved in these discussions as they are very heated and i wouldnt want  to offend people ,
but i have to agree with the people who have put on the thread about it being a friendly and positive place to play poker
I have played with APAT for over 3 years now and while i am not a massive user of forum i do try and get involved in live games and online whenever possible.
For me it is all about the banter the laughs yes i understand that money is it at stake.But the name says it all Amatuer poker
we are  not pros(some people obv better than others ) if people do want to take it so seroiusly then maybe they should consider just that turning pro
I do not wish to offend anybody by this post just putting my 2 penneth in there
Im an Englishman (honest got a pasport and everything)who lives in Scotland and i am happy to play for Scotland
however i do unsderstand those people who were born in scotland (or other countries) wanting to represent their own
country. ;D ;D
p.s. I am willing to still captain the team from Micronesia
pps Team of one

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 14:16:31 PM »

Can"t believe all that I"ve just read. We"re talking about a little weekly $10 poker comp with some significant added value but which has taken a huge amount of negotiation and organisation by the guys at APAT.

Yet despite all that, we have people throwing toys out of the pram?    For crying out loud, I"d even play for Stockton if it meant I could get a decent game with a decent bunch of people, and some competitive spirit every week...... and although I was born in Bournemouth, I don"t feel the need to play for a Southern Region - I live in the West Midlands, and will be happy to play with them as my local region.

Need to see the bigger picture here guys.

It"s a bit different playing for a region of England as opposed to saying heres an England team but you can only play for Ireland. I"m sure most would rather play for their country as we have seen a few express.

It"s not different at all.

The rule of the comp is to play for the region in which you currently reside - if I lived in Ireland, I would play for Ireland, simplez - but that doesn"t make me any less patriotic, or any less English.  If this were a competition about county vs country, then that would be very different - but it"s not, it"s about region vs region.... and it just happens that APAT have divided up the British Isles in such a way that Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, are regions within the regional structure.    

As it happens, I have some Scottish ancestry, my wife is Welsh, my kids are half Welsh, I drank Guinness in Ireland a few times, I was born in Bournemouth (and that remains my most favourite place in the world), but... I live in the West Midlands at the moment, so I will happily play with the West Mids team in accordance with the APAT rules.

I really don"t see why people are getting so wound up by this.

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 14:20:06 PM »

As it happens, I have some Scottish ancestry, my wife is Welsh, my kids are half Welsh, I drank Guinness in Ireland a few times, I was born in Bournemouth (and that remains my most favourite place in the world), but... I live in the West Midlands at the moment, so I will happily play with the West Mids team in accordance with the APAT rules.

I really don"t see why people are getting so wound up by this.

Ahh - I now understand why you support Liverpool FC!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 14:23:23 PM by AJDUK »
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 14:25:53 PM »
If you can call them by another name instead of Scotland, Ireland and Wales as to try to take away the National pride bit, then would that solve the problem? I.e. could Ireland be classed as "overseas" which would include Europe  

ck1888

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 14:26:59 PM »

I dont normally get involved in these discussions as they are very heated and i wouldnt want  to offend people ,
but i have to agree with the people who have put on the thread about it being a friendly and positive place to play poker
I have played with APAT for over 3 years now and while i am not a massive user of forum i do try and get involved in live games and online whenever possible.
For me it is all about the banter the laughs yes i understand that money is it at stake.But the name says it all Amatuer poker
we are  not pros(some people obv better than others ) if people do want to take it so seroiusly then maybe they should consider just that turning pro
I do not wish to offend anybody by this post just putting my 2 penneth in there
Im an Englishman (honest got a pasport and everything)who lives in Scotland and i am happy to play for Scotland
however i do unsderstand those people who were born in scotland (or other countries) wanting to represent their own
country. ;D ;D
p.s. I am willing to still captain the team from Micronesia
pps Team of one

Really ? You could have bothered to learn the language.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2012, 14:28:12 PM »

If you can call them by another name instead of Scotland, Ireland and Wales as to try to take away the National pride bit, then would that solve the problem? I.e. could Ireland be classed as "overseas" which would include Europe  

North of Hadrian"s Wall

West of Offa"s Dyke

Other side of the Isle of Man

That help?

Scotland in this instance is a REGION in a REGIONAL league. It"s possibly badly expalined at outset, but people need to think that way

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 14:30:18 PM »
I think people forget that this rule is only being applied in this way because of others who complained. Everyone was happy with the way the rules were being applied before. So maybe instead of having a go at us, why not ask them as to why they wanted the rules clarified or applied more strictly in the first place? Until they complained about it there was no problem.  ::)

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2012, 14:31:18 PM »

It would solve the problem

but seriously? Why on earth would it be necessary?

NB: haven"t the rules always been you played for the club you lived closest to?
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2012, 14:34:14 PM »

North of Hadrian"s Wall

West of Offa"s Dyke

Other side of the Isle of Man

That help?

Scotland in this instance is a REGION in a REGIONAL league. It"s possibly badly expalined at outset, but people need to think that way

I don"t actually think it was badly explained as it was clearly stated they were regional teams.  And we should be keen to retain those identities, as it would have been as easy to call Scotland "Region D" and Yorkshire "Region E", etc while retaining the geographical split.  I"m sure there wouldn"t have been any issues had we named in that way.
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy