Author Topic: amalgamations!!  (Read 19477 times)

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
Re: amalgamations!!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 13:52:08 PM »

In fairness half of the Scottish tram are not actually populating there...

And the other half are looking for an opportunity to leave.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Sef

• Regional Captain
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 14:54:44 PM »

In fairness half of the Scottish tram are not actually populating there...

In the interest of fairness I think you will find that 95%+ of the scottish team are populating there ;)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 14:56:29 PM by Sef »
You can only play pocket jacks 3 ways, all of which are wrong.

It's only a gambling problem if you are losing :D

Follow me on twitter @pbsef

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 19:15:34 PM »

In fairness half of the Scottish team are not actually populating there...

really? I think it"s more like 2%

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 19:18:53 PM »

I think we have to give this time

Of course some established teams and groupings have a head start, but the opportunity for all the captains given the catchement areas is the same, just it will take time for the newer regions to get the numbers where they want them

Would have to disagree on this scotland catchment area / established teams  is a lot larger than anyone elses .
Must be strange for scotland to be favourites at something :)

NW has 1million more people than Scotland.

And we are pretty good at Elephant polo too :)

Des

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 19:21:44 PM »
I"m rarely in favour of anything I can"t easily spell after a night on the town.

So no halmin, algin, aliming...merging teams.

tygnihaw x

;D
Email: des@apat.com
Facebook: Des Duffy
Twitter: Des Duffy

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 20:10:55 PM »
This thread does make me chuckle.

We could just play North v South and have done with it.  I can understand the sentiment of wanting a level playing fiield for the teams, but I think now that it has gone to regions, the areas are big enough that it is going to come down to which teams spread the word and recuit players. (Which is never a bad thing)

I also had to laugh at Tighty"s stats.  All those that commented about me "throwing toys out of the pram" about which team you could play for will see that I"ve chosen a much smaller populated area than either the South West or South East that I could have shown allegiance to.

I must be mad, or maybe it wasn"t all about the winning.   ;)

Ironside

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 20:11:56 PM »
come on scotland

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNLyZ17imyM[/youtube]

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 20:14:31 PM »
Scotland may have the biggest team so far but lets face it guys and gals - we have Ironside ffs

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 20:42:26 PM »
well the general consensus is that there is no problem. This makes me happy. It was just a query based on the numbers.

Lets get it on

NWFTW!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 21:53:18 PM »
I can"t see the relevance of population statistics to this, other than stating that the regions are broadly comparable in population size. The most relevant factor is the number of active APAT players (or potential players likely to brought in by current players) clustered in an area. Any area of 100,000? (prob a lot less) could support a team if the player concentration is right. Comparing the winning potential of such large areas on the basis that one has a population of Xm and another has 2Xm is completely spurious.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 21:54:27 PM »

We could just play North v South and have done with it.

Then Stuart would probably want to play for the South.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Tiger-flash

• Regional Captain
  • Silver Member
  • East Midlands capt
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 22:36:02 PM »
Size isnt everything... but it helps lol, i aint scared of the size of the teams, its all about the quality. I remember Solent doing very well last year with a very small team and actually winning a match last season with only 8 players AND having the player of the season 5. Bring it on u biggies!!!!!  :P
Apat Notts player of the season, season 5
Brookfield pub Redtooth champion
Darly Abbey pub champion

Sef

• Regional Captain
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 23:08:20 PM »
Scotland had the biggest team so far because the captain and team work on recruitment instead of complaining on here. ;) ..... nuff said  ;D

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 01:37:32 AM »

I can"t see the relevance of population statistics to this, other than stating that the regions are broadly comparable in population size. The most relevant factor is the number of active APAT players (or potential players likely to brought in by current players) clustered in an area. Any area of 100,000? (prob a lot less) could support a team if the player concentration is right. Comparing the winning potential of such large areas on the basis that one has a population of Xm and another has 2Xm is completely spurious.

Not at all. As valid as anything else

eg...

London is a huge region. It happens to be grossly under-represented in terms of Active APAT players. for that captain, and teammates, therein lies the opportunityto get competitive by serious recruitment

Scotland is smaller in terms of catchment area than some other teams. However it has an established group of motivated players who bask in very cleverly seeded notions of national pride that are invoked such that everyone signs up, including those who once watched Braveheart or an Old Firm Derby on TV and dream at night of the smell of deep fried mars bars and decided they hailed from Glasgow. Admirable stuff

I would hope that head start would not persist, as others catch up on numbers

Sef

• Regional Captain
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 01:39:48 AM »

Not at all. As valid as anything else

eg...

London is a huge region. It happens to be grossly under-represented in terms of Active APAT players. for that captain, and teammates, therein lies the opportunityto get competitive by serious recruitment

Scotland is smaller in terms of catchment area than some other teams. However it has an established group of motivated players who bask in very cleverly seeded notions of national pride that are invoked such that everyone signs up, including those who once watched Braveheart or an Old Firm Derby on TV and dream at night of the smell of deep fried mars bars and decided they hailed from Glasgow. Admirable stuff

I would hope that head start would not persist, as others catch up on numbers

Ahhh deep fried mars bars....... *sef drifts off to the days of his youth*  :D :D