Author Topic: Match Structure  (Read 95421 times)

samuel_9

• Gold Member
Re: Match 2 Structure
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2012, 18:04:11 PM »
 ;D

Foggy

• Gold Member
« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2012, 18:16:31 PM »
First week was an excellent competition.Last night was not to the same standard. My suggestion would be to keep the initial stacks and clock, and do not fiddle with it anymore.

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2012, 18:19:15 PM »

The only way you should change them is with TOTAL agreement to do so.

IMO.

And the set up as it stands is rubbish. End Of.

Never going to get total agreement.

I think the right decision was made, and quickly which is good (I personally advocated giving it a few weeks but was effectively outvoted, which is fine)

All the captains were asked for opinions, and to consult with their teammates. Once views came back, there was a clear preference for a shorter game

You are a captain, you had the opportunity to feed into that process

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2012, 18:23:00 PM »

If you set up a League you should stick to the rules you made at the start. If people didn"t like them then why did they sign up to play?

No one anticipated 547 runners, and I do not think people were signing up to an 8 hour plus event.

Given that, and the difficulties a 3am finish caused to a lot of people whether they made the final or wanted to rail, I think a change is perfectly understandable

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2012, 18:27:43 PM »
I was in Spain.

If I had known, I would have said the same.

But I understand that. The APAT National Online Turbo League it is then !
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2012, 18:29:26 PM »

I was in Spain.

Shame you were away. (shoul have guessed!)

I don"t think 4k/12 is a turbo

The pinch points come sooner, but it isn"t a turbo

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2012, 18:33:30 PM »

I was in Spain.

Previous leagues have been a 3k starting stack with 12/13 minute levels.  Difficult to be able to compare the structures exactly, but I don"t recall many claiming it to be a turbo league then ?

Obviously the dealers on Pokerstars are a bit quicker than those on 888 were, but that"s the same for everyone.   ;D

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2012, 18:34:02 PM »
One minor gripe, and by all means tell me this is not unusual

but it feels more turbo because many take so long to make action

When you have people timebanking in Levels 1-3 it was  quite regularly that you"d get no more than 1-1.5 orbits per level

Timebanking I assume is people multi-tabling, making a cuppa etc

One hand was 5 bet pre-flop. Each raise went to timebank.

it played like molasses on my table

Act quicker=more hands=more opportunities

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2012, 18:39:14 PM »

Previous leagues have been a 3k starting stack with 12/13 minute levels.  Difficult to be able to compare the structures exactly, but I don"t recall many claiming it to be a turbo league then ?

People may have higher expectations of a Stars tournament
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2012, 18:44:11 PM »
It didn"t feel that players were taking longer than expected on my table last night.

Just an observation though:

Last week the structure was 5k chips/15 min blinds. A few people complained but most were happy. APAT decided to discuss with the team captains. Understandable, but it is unofficially expected that the team captains rail to the end from what I read. Ergo, these people are slightly biased to the shorter clock, hence the change.

This week the clock was 4k/12m. Lots of people complained and a few are happy, most notably from the European team, team captains and a few who have an early start. Numbers also dropped by approximately 10-15%.

APAT are never going to be able to please everybody - but I have an idea.

Week 1 was 5k/15m
Week 2 was 4k/12m
Week 3 could be 5k/12m
Week 4 could be 4k/15m
Week 5 could be 3k/10m with the other structure proposed (this is assuming that 1. people are still complaining, and 2. APAT are still looking to make everyone happy)

Announce this now so people like Brian Yates (no offence against you personally Brian, but it"s your major point) know exactly what the structure is and what week is what.

Then, after Week 5, put a poll up for EVERYBODY. Not just captains, not just a select few, EVERYBODY. Spam it on the email"s/PM"s and get as many people in as possible to vote. 1 vote per forum account. Results not to be seen until the day before.

The winning structure is the one used for the remaining 10 weeks.
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2012, 19:07:52 PM »

It didn"t feel that players were taking longer than expected on my table last night.

Last week the structure was 5k chips/15 min blinds. A few people complained but most were happy. APAT decided to discuss with the team captains. Understandable, but it is unofficially expected that the team captains rail to the end from what I read. Ergo, these people are slightly biased to the shorter clock, hence the change.

This week the clock was 4k/12m. Lots of people complained and a few are happy, most notably from the European team, team captains and a few who have an early start. Numbers also dropped by approximately 10-15%.

Week 1 was 5k/15m
Week 2 was 4k/12m
Week 3 could be 5k/12m
Week 4 could be 4k/15m
Week 5 could be 3k/10m with the other structure proposed (this is assuming that 1. people are still complaining, and 2. APAT are still looking to make everyone happy)

Announce this now so people like Brian Yates (no offence against you personally Brian, but it"s your major point) know exactly what the structure is and what week is what.

Then, after Week 5, put a poll up for EVERYBODY. Not just captains, not just a select few, EVERYBODY. Spam it on the email"s/PM"s and get as many people in as possible to vote. 1 vote per forum account. Results not to be seen until the day before.

+1 good idea only prob I see is players forgetting which structure was what week or the like and possibly bias towards if they did well in a specific week

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2012, 19:19:39 PM »
I would go along with that idea as being better than what is happening at the minute (If things HAVE to be changed that is)
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2012, 19:20:47 PM »
Or just keep it as it is.

Calling it a turbo is pretty ridiculous
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2012, 19:25:41 PM »
I don"t understand all the fuss, and don"t think it"s necessarily warranted.  $11 for a regular tourney with a 4k stack and 12 minute clock is pretty damned good. It runs for 6 hours, and that is about as long as it needs to be for the sake of the league format.

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2012, 19:39:10 PM »

Week 1 was 5k/15m
Week 2 was 4k/12m
Week 3 could be 5k/12m
Week 4 could be 4k/15m

Well us "select few" and "slightly biased people" agreed as far as I can see, on our secretive captains board, to my proposal of 5k/12mins. There was a proposal, and support for 4k/12mins, but Des asked for agreement on 5k/12mins, which most accepted.

"Ergo", I can"t quite see how or why we played a 4k/12min game, as it plainly wasn"t the majority of captains preference.
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.