Author Topic: The 2nd National Online League of Season 6  (Read 59568 times)

BobbyMorton

Re: The 2nd National Online League of Season 6
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 17:37:18 PM »
Would play option A when I could would not play option B at all.
Telmison4 at Bluesquare
thebestthere  at 888

camking

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2012, 18:58:53 PM »
Yea was about to say the same , just catching up on the forum , and I read in this thread how much of an advantage Scotland , Wales etc had with team size , can i just say that we grew that size from nothing a couple of years ago through recruitment and promotion, to the team it was last year , and resent the comments of unfairness made.

Are we really going to go back down this road again , it seems that this discussion arises in between every league break and is becoming tedious to say the least.

I was merely correcting shug"s assumption that team membership was based solely on where people currently lived, and thus was inherently fair, because all regions had a roughly equal pool from which to recruit.  The assumption was incorrect.

Given that in scenario "A" the size of a team confers such a huge advantage, discussion of how to best ensure that the team sizes are roughly balanced and not in huge disproportion is perfectly on topic, IMHO.

We play to win the game.

If you think you can"t win even before starting the first game, what"s the point?  And I believe that"s a fair question for anybody in the teams with fewer than 50 people in them to ask.  And note that this is the exact same question as posed a while ago:

what would make players want to play right up until the end of the league (assuming your team isn"t in the running for top honours)

I"ve not seen anybody answer that question satisfactorily.  I don"t have an answer either.  Persuade me why I should play week 1.

Sef

• Regional Captain
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2012, 21:30:33 PM »
Hey all, buzzing for league 2 to start and going as reigning champions. We welcome all challengers  ;D

Not going to go into all the negativity surrounding team sizes etc. guys as it seems to be a recurring (nonsensical) theme. All I will say is why not put that energy into doing as Team Scotland and others have done and get recruiting and show APAT why it"s worth putting on new leagues and cups. Enjoy the tournies and keep with the APAT spirit. ;) Have a great weekend.  ;D ;D
You can only play pocket jacks 3 ways, all of which are wrong.

It's only a gambling problem if you are losing :D

Follow me on twitter @pbsef

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2012, 00:06:34 AM »

Not going to go into all the negativity surrounding team sizes etc. guys as it seems to be a recurring (nonsensical) theme. All I will say is why not put that energy into doing as Team Scotland and others have done and get recruiting

I read in this thread how much of an advantage Scotland , Wales etc had with team size , can i just say that we grew that size from nothing a couple of years ago through recruitment and promotion, to the team it was last year , and resent the comments of unfairness made.

Are we really going to go back down this road again , it seems that this discussion arises in between every league break and is becoming tedious to say the least.

APAT has asked for a discussion, which is why there is one. You can"t close it down because you don"t like what people are saying. I don"t recall seeing negative statements, as you claim, apart from your own. What I have seen is people putting forward constructive ideas.

And the idea that other regions can go and recruit members like Scotland supposedly did is unfeasible. They don"t have the inherent advantage that Scotland has of people who grew up there but live somewhere else wanting to play for them.

You would like to keep this advantage. You can post your views to try to achieve that, but other people are entitled to post theirs, whether you resent it or not.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2012, 01:21:06 AM »
I enjoyed playing both "online league" and "online cup".

I will be playing regardless of the format as long as it is run on Sundays only! I was able to play for the few Wednesdays in the online cup but will not be able to do the same through the winter months!

If I was pushed to declare which I preferred though I would pick the online cup. I think an improvement to this would be to have 6-8 man teams with the top 4-5 players scoring points.

However, this threat is about the online league.

I"m not sure there is any solution to the varying team sizes. You won"t be able to please all 500 odd people that are likely to play. Although, breaking down the regions into mini-teams of between 40-60 randomly drawn players could possibly work (late entries can be randomly added to teams that are short of the maximum players)!

Maybe if there was added value for the highest placed player in each region this would keep players of all regions interested in playing for the whole season (of course, this then goes against the initial idea of playing as a team. But just a thought!)

Ramblings over!!
(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

Sugar_Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 01:40:47 AM »
How about this......

Have 12 teams, NOT based on regions but just named after random poker terms eg Big Slick, Squeeze Play, Royal Flush etc. Have a pool of players with the team captains submit a list of 10 players they want in their team, if two captains choose the same player then he chooses who he wants to play for. The remaining players are allocated at random between the teams and the same happens to any new players, this way the team sizes stay the same.

The following season the captains can name 10 or 15 players they want to keep, the rest go back into the hat.
S4 G UK Team - LPM
S6 S UK Online, B Online Team Cup, Home Internationals - England "B", Irish Online
S7 G (& Bracelet) WCOAP Online
S8 G Scottish Online, B WCOAP Stud
S9 S WCOAP Team - England, B UK Team - LPM
S10 S Irish Online, England Captain - WCOAP
S13 B UK Team - APAT Degens

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 01:47:33 AM »

How about this......

Have 12 teams, NOT based on regions but just named after random poker terms eg Big Slick, Squeeze Play, Royal Flush etc. Have a pool of players with the team captains submit a list of 10 players they want in their team, if two captains choose the same player then he chooses who he wants to play for. The remaining players are allocated at random between the teams and the same happens to any new players, this way the team sizes stay the same.

The following season the captains can name 10 or 15 players they want to keep, the rest go back into the hat.

I was always last to be picked for football in the school playground!  :"(

(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

camking

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 03:37:12 AM »
For an exciting variation on that, you could allow captains to pick players for *other* teams - that way I might be one of the first to go, principally because I often turn out to be the kiss of death(*) :"(

(*) in some cases, literally - I had two horses in my work"s sweepstake for the 2011 Grand National: Ornais and Dooneys Gate.  Died at the 4th and 6th fences, respectively.

Starshine

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 16:30:41 PM »

How about this......

love this idea

gerry5421

• Gold Member
    • Troon PC Tech
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 16:43:59 PM »

Not going to go into all the negativity surrounding team sizes etc. guys as it seems to be a recurring (nonsensical) theme. All I will say is why not put that energy into doing as Team Scotland and others have done and get recruiting

I read in this thread how much of an advantage Scotland , Wales etc had with team size , can i just say that we grew that size from nothing a couple of years ago through recruitment and promotion, to the team it was last year , and resent the comments of unfairness made.

APAT has asked for a discussion, which is why there is one. You can"t close it down because you don"t like what people are saying. I don"t recall seeing negative statements, as you claim, apart from your own. What I have seen is people putting forward constructive ideas.

And the idea that other regions can go and recruit members like Scotland supposedly did is unfeasible. They don"t have the inherent advantage that Scotland has of people who grew up there but live somewhere else wanting to play for them.

You would like to keep this advantage. You can post your views to try to achieve that, but other people are entitled to post theirs, whether you resent it or not.

I disagree - we grew Glasgow the season before from nothing , so this destroys your point here and i am all for discussion , just the repeated suggestion that we gained an unfair advantage due to team size gets a bit tedious
Gerry
Glasgow Club Captain Div 2 Champions 2011
http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=8298.0
APAT Scottish Online Championship 2010 Bronze

GiMac

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 16:53:08 PM »
Option A

Divitts.

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 17:20:04 PM »
Option A for me.
Remember.....its just a game!!!!

HOLDorFOLD

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 17:33:43 PM »

How about this......

love this idea

Me too. I haven"t replied on this thread because neither option A or B appealed to me anymore. But this idea is tops.
Skype/MSN  Holdyfoldy@hotmail.co.uk

Gup9y

• Bronze Member
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 18:35:48 PM »
Option A. It was my first time playing and was a great experience. Keep it the same and lets hope it"s an exciting finish.
2012 Scottish Team member at ECOAP
2012 Scottish Online PLO hi Low Champion
2012 Scottish Online Stud Champion

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 19:02:55 PM »

Option A. It was my first time playing and was a great experience. Keep it the same and lets hope it"s an exciting finish.

Between Wales and Scotland? If the format and the teams are the same that is what is going to happen. Although I think Scotland will win it somewhat more easily this time.

Personally I would like to see a format that gives everybody a chance. If you live in certain parts of the country you are out of the running before you start.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.