Author Topic: comments please on a recent hand  (Read 5694 times)

billwillo

comments please on a recent hand
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:29:33 AM »
Any comments would be gratefully received with regard to this hand I played recently online.   The reason I ask for opinions is I was criticised in the chat by a number of players for the move I made, although the 3 critics involved were obviously mates as they'd been pretty mouthy throughout.   But as I'm always looking to improve I'd like some feedback to know if I deserved the criticism. (It's a $5 MTT)

This happened early in tourney:

Started with 1500 chips, Blinds 20/40 up to now I'm card dead getting blinded away.

BB with 1272chips   Kd Qd
Me with 1110chips   ad1  10s early pos.  I raise to 120,  BB calls.

Flop:   Kc 9c 8c

BB check
I bet 160
BB calls

Turn:  Jh

BB check
I go all in 830 (That"s the bit they"re unhappy with, but I thought scary flop, now I"ve got straight draw)
BB calls 830

River:  7h

I hit to make straight: all hell breaks loose!

What do people think?

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: comments please on a recent hand
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »
 Don"t show opponents hands/results till after advice

adilong1

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »
Nothing wrong there for me, the all in a bit risky, maybe just a raise on the turn
Adi
Co founder of Yorkshire Poker Club on Facebook
Catch me on Twitter: Adicricket1

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 11:26:47 AM »
You have 1110 chips at 20/40. You are miles away from getting blinded away. Just worry about the number of chips you have compared to the blinds. What is the clock and how many players are left? This might make a difference.

Preflop is a raise but your raise is too big. There is no need for 3x here. A raise to 100 would be fine. Play smaller pots in position then you have more room to outplay them.

The call from the BB is fine. The flop then smacks his calling range I am afraid. I am checking this behind there are loads of hands he is calling my c-bet with. Any King, any high club probably quite a few pairs and 9x hands as well, a lot of people will even call with some poor straight draw. Check behind for pot control here and hope to hit something on the turn and get to a cheap showdown. It"s not a good spot for a c-bet. If you do c-bet (which is not terrible btw) then it should be with the plan of giving up on the turn. Chances are he will check to you again on the turn so you will get a free river to try and hit your ace.

The turn does give you outs to a decent hand, so again I would be checking behind trying to hit, I really don"t think that too much that calls the flop folds the turn. If you miss 830 chips is enough to make a comeback in a sit n go.

Nothing wrong there for me, the all in a bit risky, maybe just a raise on the turn

I assume you mean a bet on the turn.

Yeah I see what you are saying but you are going to need to bet a least 300 and if he then shoves on you then you are committed anyway. If you are going to bet then shoving is best.

Good thread btw
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 11:31:10 AM »
Oh, as for the chat box, the correct play here is to respond "shhh, I am counting your chips"
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:39:54 AM »
What is your exact position are you utg, do you have any reads on BB, what is your current table image, this is important information.

Also, can you share your reasonsing for cbetting and for jamming the turn.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 12:08:31 PM »
When you jam the flop, what is your bluff based on? Clearly you want him to fold, but from the text in your OP, it looks like you are only considering your own cards when you jam. You need to try to consider what the BB called with pre, and then called again with on the flop, and decide how much of his range he is likely to fold to your jam on the turn.

When he called the flop c-bet, his range is pretty much made flushes or high flush draws, sets, two pair, or top pair hands....  and how much of this range do you think he will fold when you jam the turn?    You note that you have a straight draw, but you could be drawing dead already.

I much prefer to check behind on the turn, and then re-evaluate on the river.... if he checks again, a river bluff might get through, particularly if he has missed his draw.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »

I go all in 830 (That"s the bit they"re unhappy with, but I thought scary flop, now I"ve got straight draw)

It"s a scary flop because of how many hands he could have which beat you, and how many beat you and re-draw to a hand that beats your draw.

I"d agree with Rodders - I"d be trying to control the pot size to keep it low knowing I have enough chips to come back from if it doesn"t work out.

A double or triple barrel bluff could work (i.e. a smaller bet on the turn and another c bet on the river if you miss or an all in if you hit) - but generally speaking the maxim of only playing big pots with big hands gets you a long way
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »

You have 1110 chips at 20/40. You are miles away from getting blinded away. Just worry about the number of chips you have compared to the blinds. What is the clock and how many players are left? This might make a difference.

Preflop is a raise but your raise is too big. There is no need for 3x here. A raise to 100 would be fine. Play smaller pots in position then you have more room to outplay them.

The call from the BB is fine. The flop then smacks his calling range I am afraid. I am checking this behind there are loads of hands he is calling my c-bet with. Any King, any high club probably quite a few pairs and 9x hands as well, a lot of people will even call with some poor straight draw. Check behind for pot control here and hope to hit something on the turn and get to a cheap showdown. It"s not a good spot for a c-bet. If you do c-bet (which is not terrible btw) then it should be with the plan of giving up on the turn. Chances are he will check to you again on the turn so you will get a free river to try and hit your ace.

The turn does give you outs to a decent hand, so again I would be checking behind trying to hit, I really don"t think that too much that calls the flop folds the turn. If you miss 830 chips is enough to make a comeback in a sit n go.

I assume you mean a bet on the turn.

Yeah I see what you are saying but you are going to need to bet a least 300 and if he then shoves on you then you are committed anyway. If you are going to bet then shoving is best.

Good thread btw

Good post.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
  • Vague memories of being in Vegas
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 13:41:30 PM »
I think i"m check folding the flop. or small cb and if called im done with the hand.
still, nothing wrong with going ballistic every now and then :)
APAT Scotland runner up 2008
APAT Sotland final table 2009
If it's not in Scotland you can forget it!

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 16:00:17 PM »
At the early levels 3x opening is fine IMO.

nothing wrong with c betting. When called I give up.

turn brings a straight draw. You have position so get a free river. I"d take that and see what happens.

The shove is a bit spewy but it isn"t the worst bluff, I think a lot of hands that beat you fold here and you have picked up some equity if called. I do think your reasons for shoving though are a bit off and I"d want some history/reads on villain before doing this.

Agree with Glenn that there is nothing wrong with going mad every now and then
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

ck1888

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 16:40:28 PM »
Fold pre. I think hands like these are only going to lead to harder decisions post flop. Most of the good points have been covered except ability.
The ability of the hero is a factor in playing this hand from ug.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 16:52:15 PM by ck1888 »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

billwillo

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 20:00:18 PM »
First of all, thanks to everyone who took the time to read and respond to my post, it is most appreciated.

Answers to some of your Q's: There were approx 100 players started and about 85 left at the time. 10 minute clock. 1500 starting chips. In the hand I was UTG.

The tourney hadn't been going for long so not much info on BB, like me, hadn't got involved, either v tight or completely card dead.

Reading your comments and looking again at the hand I think I probably should have checked the turn, I do find it difficult putting people on hands and I do tend to concentrate on my own, hence my mind was really set on pushing him off with my allin. I thought he may have hit the flop but took the gamble that no flushes were involved for him, instead trying to bluff him with a flush I'd made myself.  It doesn't sound quite so clever now, I know, but I live and learn.

Many thanks. 

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 21:26:47 PM »

First of all, thanks to everyone who took the time to read and respond to my post, it is most appreciated.

Answers to some of your Q's: There were approx 100 players started and about 85 left at the time. 10 minute clock. 1500 starting chips. In the hand I was UTG.

The tourney hadn't been going for long so not much info on BB, like me, hadn't got involved, either v tight or completely card dead.

Reading your comments and looking again at the hand I think I probably should have checked the turn, I do find it difficult putting people on hands and I do tend to concentrate on my own, hence my mind was really set on pushing him off with my allin. I thought he may have hit the flop but took the gamble that no flushes were involved for him, instead trying to bluff him with a flush I'd made myself.  It doesn't sound quite so clever now, I know, but I live and learn.

Many thanks. 

An honest reply sir despite the temptation for a defensive and revisionist set of answers, wp.

I think you should be folding ATo utg, given your assessment of your post flop abilities, I doubt very much you could turn a profit with the hand and will benefit from avoiding the resultant but inevitable tough spots when out of position with a dominated hand.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

poker_jason

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 21:47:32 PM »

Honestly, a few early orbits in a $5 MTT isn"t going Card Dead, you need to learn patience. Try folding every hand for 45mins and most hands for 2.5 hours - that"s card dead and live it"s even more painful/frustrating.

I won"t repeat it - there is a lot of gold in the above replies if you can take the time and absorb the information.

Good luck.