Author Topic: Apat online league hand  (Read 3394 times)

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Apat online league hand
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:39:06 AM »
This happens quite a lot across other tournaments and i never really understand what they are telling me, or what range I should be snapping them with...

Example,

Blinds 75/150;

1st pos Raised to 367 with one caller following, then in late pos all in for 8k+??
I"ve  Kc Qc

I Cover  fold/call??.

Is it most of the time AA/KK to catch someone who thinks they are at?

Never see the understand the reason to do this just to pick up 225 in chips
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Apat online league hand
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »
Very easy fold. Depending on the buyin, probs re-jamming AK+ QQ+.

If you have access to sharkscope/OPR open then a quick search should enable you to see if it is a player who is even remotely thinking then its massively weighted to premiums rather than random junk.

Either way its a bad play. I will do it very occasionally on the first hand of a tournament if I get dealt Aces, multi-tablers who don"t have the time to search you can call you down light assuming your a donk.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:20:28 AM »
with only 367 invested, you really need to have their range crushed to be able to call off 8k - you"ve not getting much more than evens, so you would need to win the hand almost 50% of the time for the call to be profitable.

What range do think they shove with?  Perhaps 88+,AQs+,AQo+.....  At best your flipping against a medium pair, but most likely you are crushed - KQ has around 34% against that range.

Given that you are folding to any subsequent action, I don"t like the UTG raise with this sort of hand. In late position, it"s a decent raising hand, and you can probably call a 3bet from the blinds..... but unless your table is super passive, raising UTG with it is just giving chips away.

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »

with only 367 invested, you really need to have their range crushed to be able to call off 8k - you"ve not getting much more than evens, so you would need to win the hand almost 50% of the time for the call to be profitable.

What range do think they shove with?  Perhaps 88+,AQs+,AQo+.....  At best your flipping against a medium pair, but most likely you are crushed - KQ has around 34% against that range.

Given that you are folding to any subsequent action, I don"t like the UTG raise with this sort of hand. In late position, it"s a decent raising hand, and you can probably call a 3bet from the blinds..... but unless your table is super passive, raising UTG with it is just giving chips away

sorry i wasn"t clear, i"ve not acted yet, 1st pos isn"t me.

The range of the all in is what is curious to me.  Ive seen several times people doing it with complete junk.  With a raise and a call + the blinds its 10%ish of villains stack, so an all in is a nice way to pick up easy money? No?  therefore his range is alot wider possible?  ???

I just don"t get the reasoning to shoving with aces/kings to pick up 800 odd when you"ve got good action, (thinning the field to maybe 1 yes) or even doing it with less, 88+ Aq+ especially when you had decent action beforehand, as this makes even less sense?

Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 13:06:46 PM »
Not really sure what the question is so I"ll just make a few points:

- if you haven"t acted yet, cold calling a 50bb+ shove with KQ is at best optimistic. That"s without factoring in that there is an UTG raiser in the hand left to act.
- yes personally I think this type of squeeze play is pretty terrible whatever the holding but we all play differently and some inexperienced players just don"t know what the hell to do with hands like AK and tens so just shove and hope,rather than make a standard sized 3bet and risk getting peeled or 4bet.
- his range could include similar hands as I have mentioned but doubt it includes utter crap unless the villain has been doing it every other hand. However you need reads to assign ranges other than really general ones.
- ruling out super strong hands is a mistake. I"ve seen kings and queens flipped in spots like this (mainly because viallain is scared of getting big hands cracked and has no appreciation of stack sizes and ranges)
- people tend to peel mid pairs etc because set mining is fun.

Whatever the conclusion is you need to call really tight and KQ is a million miles from that. I wouldn"t even call 10bbs with that.

Whatever the conclusion, you should have a tight range for calling such huge shoves in a MTT
Looking forward to making my first day 2

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 13:08:30 PM »
Sorry just posting on phone so can"t edit last 2 paragraphs
Looking forward to making my first day 2

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 17:24:54 PM »

This happens quite a lot across other tournaments and i never really understand what they are telling me, or what range I should be snapping them with...

Example,

Blinds 75/150;

1st pos Raised to 367 with one caller following, then in late pos all in for 8k+??
I"ve  Kc Qc

I Cover  fold/call??.

Is it most of the time AA/KK to catch someone who thinks they are at?

Never see the understand the reason to do this just to pick up 225 in chips

http://www.tournamentpokeredge.com/selling-yourself-short-why-chipev-is-sometimes-overrated-part-1/
http://www.tournamentpokeredge.com/selling-yourself-short-why-chip-expectation-is-sometimes-overrated-part-2/

In tournaments with soft fields or at tables with great dynamics, consider other sources of cEV that are less likely to cost you your whole tournament. As you progress as a player and profitable table dynamics become more apparent and frequent, be sure to weigh tEV much more heavily when faced with decisions. Ask yourself questions such as: How would a loss/win in this pot affect my ability to exploit a strategic edge over this table later? Does my current stack size command that I must acquire new chips to assure my tournament life? Which lines will most adequately balance net value with the preservation of my tournament life?