Author Topic: Queens in the Big Blind in Portugal  (Read 11705 times)

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Queens in the Big Blind in Portugal
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »

If people are calling min raises light they are almost certainly calling shoves at least as light, especially as this is live.

This is the bit I am not sure I agree with.

From my limited live experience, these types of players will merrily peel off 25% of their stack but when asked to call for their tournament lives - will tighten up significantly. If that is the case then I dont want to give hands that we crush a reason to fold.

While I think that"s true, I think a lot of them will call an all in with their pocket pairs -and we definitely lose value from them on most flops. Given that a lot of the other combinations are going to fold anyway when they don"t hit the flop I can"t see anyway that you don"t lose value by not shoving pre.

And it"s a no lose situation because with these stack sizes the extra you gain from just winning blinds and ante"s makes it worthwhile by itself.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »

I make it level 5 ? so roughly 2hrs 15mins played. Trying not to be too harsh Phil but you really should have better reads than this on the individual players at your table.

You"re right Brendan. I deduced they were all Portuguese. Apart from Curly  ;) x

Phil,

As played CRAI - this hand is really simple. The flat is sort of OK btw (much better than a min raise) although a shove is still much better. What was you plan on a flop of:-

A-9-4 or
K-7-2

PS - for fun equity please tell me he had a two and a three that would be too good *lol*

*lol* 2/3 would have been comic genius.. although it was bad enough the first time :)

As played... I LOVED the flop, checked, and waited for a bet to shove over... that never came...  check... check.. bad times... wishing I"d just shoved it first :-\

Turn comes 9. Still happy.

Board now 9 10 3 3

First to act.. checked again as saw initial raiser glance down at chips. Check from limper, bet of small amount of 1.5k by initial raiser.

Back to us....
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2012, 13:22:18 PM »
Jam now.

Prefer just open shoving rather than checking again on the turn.