Author Topic: Side "Sporting" Events at WCOAP. Pingpong/pool,. etc....  (Read 55717 times)

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Re: Side "Sporting" Events at WCOAP. Pingpong/pool,. etc....
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2013, 12:44:23 PM »
We may need to open up some extra tables, just spoken to a couple of guy"s who know a lot about running pool tournaments and playing them (both are top 5 players in Wales) and they reckon that doing this with 4 tables in 3 hours should be no problem at all. I doubt it will be hard to open a couple of extra tables if we need too though.

Steve, question for you. I didn"t know that Black Ball rules were not used in England (until Lucy told me last weekend), as most of the people in this event are from England do you think it would be better to change to World Rules as constantly having to check on the rules will eat up time.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »

Steve, question for you. I didn"t know that Black Ball rules were not used in England (until Lucy told me last weekend), as most of the people in this event are from England do you think it would be better to change to World Rules as constantly having to check on the rules will eat up time.

I don"t think it makes that much difference to be honest - we could use Uncle Tom Cobley"s APAT rules, so long as whichever rules are used are published on here in advance, and have a copy printed and to hand on the day.

I don"t know enough pool rules to say whether Black Ball is better than World Rules.... I"m just aware that rules seem to differ dependent on which pub I"m in, and what day of the week it is, and as a result there always seems to be arguments about rules.  I"m sure Lucy can advise....

Luthee13

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2013, 13:27:35 PM »
There will always be arguments over rules. Based on that, The main bonus of playing world or epa rules is that rileys promotes them and there should be copies of them on the walls. Also, i kno them inside out, as will the staff at rileys, so arguments would be resolved with a fair amount of consistency an speed...just a thought. I shall ring today an initially i will ask for 5 or 6 tables from 10am on xxx
Raise! For Jack - Silver Medallists 2019!

dwh103

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @dwh103
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2013, 13:29:35 PM »
As long as you still get 2 shots on the black in the event of a foul I"m happy!
TEAM GOTHAM (Batman)

http://twitter.com/dwh103

Won some stuff too long ago for it to stay on a signature.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2013, 13:40:00 PM »

There will always be arguments over rules. Based on that, The main bonus of playing world or epa rules is that rileys promotes them and there should be copies of them on the walls. Also, i kno them inside out, as will the staff at rileys, so arguments would be resolved with a fair amount of consistency an speed...just a thought. I shall ring today an initially i will ask for 5 or 6 tables from 10am on xxx

Nice one Lucy

As for World Rules, I have an idea of these rules but don"t really know them, but should be able to learn them by Friday.

Gonna go for a game tomorrow to try and get use to playing them, the two visits and no open table after a foul will confuse me though *lol*.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2013, 14:42:27 PM »

Gonna go for a game tomorrow to try and get use to playing them, the two visits and no open table after a foul will confuse me though *lol*.

LOL the confusion starts here - I thought open table after a foul was a standard in all rulesets :)  

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2013, 14:42:56 PM »
Anyone up for a snowman competition?   ;D

Luthee13

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2013, 14:49:59 PM »
Once you get your head around world rules they make a lot of sense but they totally change the dynamic (i"m a pool geek) google epa world rules. Like i say, rileys will have the rules on the wall or available somewhere and should have knowledge themselves to help out :) xxx
speaking of which, 6 tables for 3 hours (10-1) = £24 which should make it less that £1 per person...prizes? Entry cost? Anyone?
There is already a discount on the bar during the day, all pints are around the £2.50 mark etc, nothing particularly special. Hope this is all ok? xxx

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #188 on: March 25, 2013, 14:56:15 PM »

Once you get your head around world rules they make a lot of sense but they totally change the dynamic (i"m a pool geek)

Pity I am not going as I would own your soul again  ;D ;D ;D ;D

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: March 25, 2013, 15:01:52 PM »

Once you get your head around world rules they make a lot of sense but they totally change the dynamic (i"m a pool geek) google epa world rules. Like i say, rileys will have the rules on the wall or available somewhere and should have knowledge themselves to help out :) xxx
speaking of which, 6 tables for 3 hours (10-1) = £24 which should make it less that £1 per person...prizes? Entry cost? Anyone?
There is already a discount on the bar during the day, all pints are around the £2.50 mark etc, nothing particularly special. Hope this is all ok? xxx

Lucy, you are a star. Well Done, I will get you a couple of drinks on the weekend for that. :-)

If you are playing I don"t think the entry cost should be too high though ;-p

We know you are hustling but reckon we could do a couple of quid in if everybody is up for it.

Luthee13

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2013, 15:10:08 PM »
Ha ha couple of quid sounds good to me, i don"t anticipate winning tbh, just always happy to have a reason to play stick and ball ;) ha ha xxx

that sounds like a challenge Mr Smyth...? Re match? :p xxx

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2013, 15:50:23 PM »
the ping pong event in Luton had a buy in of £10 per head, from which expenses were taken, and the remainder paid out in prize money.

So, for the pool, if we went with a tenner per person, and got 32 people, that would be £320 - £24 for table hire, = £296 prize pool. Then pay that out to the winner, runner up, and losing semi finalists.... say 40%, 30%, 15%, 15%

Supernova

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2013, 15:56:27 PM »
I"m down for playing this. This is my final confirmation  :P
APAT UK Team Championships 2011 18th
APAT Welsh Championships 2012 13th
APAT European 2012 6max 3rd Bronze Medal
APAT Home Internationals 2012 Omaha S/E 3rd
APAT WCOAP 2013 Stud S/E 14th
APAT WCOAP 2013 H.O.R.S.E S/E 7th
APAT English Championship 2013 3rd Bronze Medal

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2013, 16:02:24 PM »

Can you confirm that?

Supernova

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2013, 16:07:45 PM »

Can you confirm that?

Absolutely not. But in the true spirit of all that is APAT I will. Soooooooon.
APAT UK Team Championships 2011 18th
APAT Welsh Championships 2012 13th
APAT European 2012 6max 3rd Bronze Medal
APAT Home Internationals 2012 Omaha S/E 3rd
APAT WCOAP 2013 Stud S/E 14th
APAT WCOAP 2013 H.O.R.S.E S/E 7th
APAT English Championship 2013 3rd Bronze Medal