Author Topic: AQ OTB  (Read 3252 times)

kevod85

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
AQ OTB
« on: March 02, 2013, 18:52:24 PM »
This hand is bugging me, would like some opinions.

4k Garenteed @ walsall G

Blinds 50/100

I have 22k

Havent got much info on either player as were only in level 2, but i have played with villian 2 before and no hes quite a loose player.

Villian 1 in EP
Villian 2 in MP

Im on the button with Ah Qs,

V1 raises to 225
V2 calls
i 3 bet to 525
Call,
Call.

flop... ad1 8h 5s

V1 checks,
V2 checks
i bet 700
Call,
Call.

turn... Qc

V1 checks,
V2 checks
i bet 1250
V1 folds,
V2 Calls.

river... Jc

Villian checks,
i bet 4000
Villian raises to 15,000 and is all in........

What would you do....?
APAT Welsh Amateur Championship 2012 Bronze Medal

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
Re: AQ OTB
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 19:31:36 PM »
V2 is quite loose. loose aggressive or loose passive - really important given how this hand has gone so far. I will assume him to be a classic live player.

I would not 3-bet AQ at this stage in live poker this deep btw (I might online but I doubt it). We end up going 4 way to the flop anyway which is going to happen a lot as everybody sees lots of chips and just calls. We don"t gain much in value or info.

We hit an excellent flop for our hand even though we honestly have no idea what the other players could have we are ahead a lot here. I like your bet on the flop, people will call with worse here. Worse aces and 99-JJ type hands can call here.

We get two calls, they probably don"t both have worse aces. Given the fact that villian two has called a raise and a 3-bet pre and then called on the flop I tend to see less worse aces in his range and there are not any draws on the board.

The turn looks like a good card but in reality makes very little difference, we are still ahead of what we were beating before and losing to what we were losing too before, I doubt either of them has AK and given the action 2 pair feels unlikely, although not impossible. I like the bet when checked too as we still want value off worse aces. V1 is the most likely person to have a worse ace but he folds and V2 calls which make alarm bells ring, smaller pairs should have got the message now and I am still thinking little aces are less likely to be part of his range.

When he checks the river I might just check, or maybe bet/fold is better. When he raises we really only beat a bluff, the raise is also massive. Given all of the above I don"t think our two pair is good now, I am going to put him squarely on a set:-

Fold.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 14:37:06 PM »
Don"t 3 bet this hand pre. Stacks are deep, you have a hand that plays poorly post flop and there aren"t even any antes worth stealing. If you have to 3 bet then bet more after a raise and a call to say 750ish. Your bet size will always get called meaning you are just playing a bloated pot with a trouble hand.

As played betting flop and turn is fine but sizing ott is too small. Aim for about 40-50% of the pot so about 1800 ish

River is a sick spot as you only beat bluffs or an over played AJ.

You say he is a loose player but neglect to say loose passive or loose aggressive. If it is the former then I fold very quickly. If it is the latter then I tank fold unless I have seen him cr shove rivers on a bluff or he has seen me make big river folds before. It"s just too much of your stack to call and hope for Ax.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

kevod85

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »
Sorry should of stated, loose aggressive. Id been in a very similar situation with this guy last time i was at a table with him, that time he re raised my river bet and when i called threw his cards straight into the muck. 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:00:16 PM by kevod85 »

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:28:56 AM »
Fold, LOL dont post result straight away, as it will change peoples opinions.

kevod85

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »
Sorry, first HA ive posted. Have edited.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 13:42:43 PM »
Don"t raise Pre, if you do make it 800ish. Having being check called all the way to the river I am fearing a set, so just checking back the river would have been my move, I don"t think you can call the shove as played.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 21:15:30 PM »

Don"t 3 bet this hand pre. Stacks are deep, you have a hand that plays poorly post flop and there aren"t even any antes worth stealing. If you have to 3 bet then bet more after a raise and a call to say 750ish. Your bet size will always get called meaning you are just playing a bloated pot with a trouble hand.

As played betting flop and turn is fine but sizing ott is too small. Aim for about 40-50% of the pot so about 1800 ish

River is a sick spot as you only beat bluffs or an over played AJ.

You say he is a loose player but neglect to say loose passive or loose aggressive. If it is the former then I fold very quickly. If it is the latter then I tank fold unless I have seen him cr shove rivers on a bluff or he has seen me make big river folds before. It"s just too much of your stack to call and hope for Ax.

not so sure i agree with the bolded part above Rob tbh..

it's important to manage your 3bet range/hands when playing deep so that you can have the nuts/strong hands on a variety of board textures and run outs imho...
selecting a variety of pre-flop hands so that you can connect well with the flop whether it comes high or low cards can be good for your game/overall strategy...

for example - nit 3bettor only 3bets JJ+ AK and the board comes 678 he cbets and gets raised, his whole range is bluff catching, 100bb or less its meh, deep stacked its FML  :"(

on a raggy ace high flop deep, i think OP should think about having a check back range when in spots like this..