Poll

How do you fund your live poker tournaments ?

Live Satellites
6 (3.7%)
Online Satellites
41 (25.5%)
Play Cash, fund from bankroll
13 (8.1%)
Play Tournaments, fund from bankroll
39 (24.2%)
Treat it as a social expense
53 (32.9%)
Backed/Staked
9 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: APAT Asks The Question #1  (Read 5784 times)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
APAT Asks The Question #1
« on: July 10, 2013, 13:16:57 PM »

In the first of a series of questions put to APAT members, we want to know your thoughts behind funding your live tournaments that you play in.

Please vote (up to 3 selections) in the poll above, but also feel free to post on this thread if you have more to say, or if your particular scenario isn"t included in one of the options.

The poll is anonymous, but any additional comments are gratefully received.

mylesfdo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: APAT Asks The Question #1
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 13:47:46 PM »
U missed off backing!!

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 13:58:49 PM »
Depends on the buy-in?

Is this for a specific type of tournament or are we generalising all (in which case your answers will be fairly worthless no?)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 14:16:17 PM »

Depends on the buy-in?

Is this for a specific type of tournament or are we generalising all (in which case your answers will be fairly worthless no?)

Appreciate that players answers will differ for the WSOP ME compared to an APAT event (and there as players out there that will play both these extremes in a year), so an answer based on your typical level of live tourney buyin would be great.

This isn"t a market research exercise, the poll is visible to everyone, just interested in how people perceive their live tournaments and curious to how people go about paying for these.

HitmanHarvey

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 15:21:54 PM »
Surley, Most players would have a mixture of All or some of above!!!

Me Actually, None of above!!!

I Fund By Selling my Impressive Body For Sex!!!

It"s actually going very well, I may have to give up Poker, because I"m so fully Booked!!

.......Hang on Tatty, I won"t be a minute!!

.....Sorry Gotta Go!!!

jjandellis

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 16:05:01 PM »
I play online and live cash mainly to build the bankroll. Tourneys are just a bit of fun, bit of a punt really.

Everything comes out of my bankroll and exercise strict BRM. Sometimes way too strict.  I can be tight, so decide to sell % as don"t like taking chunks out for tourneys.  Usually sell 30%.

My new years resolution was to play satellites. I"m sooo lazy on playing them, but tbh they"re not really worth wasting hourly rate on.  Usually quicker to spin the required amount up in cash - plus its cheaper/more effective to pay for own hotels rather than some lavish package deal being played for.

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 16:35:21 PM »

I play online and live cash mainly to build the bankroll. Tourneys are just a bit of fun, bit of a punt really.

Everything comes out of my bankroll and exercise strict BRM. Sometimes way too strict.  I can be tight, so decide to sell % as don"t like taking chunks out for tourneys.  Usually sell 30%.

My new years resolution was to play satellites. I"m sooo lazy on playing them, but tbh they"re not really worth wasting hourly rate on.  Usually quicker to spin the required amount up in cash - plus its cheaper/more effective to pay for own hotels rather than some lavish package deal being played for.

Interesting approach Lee.  If you don"t mind me asking, what"s the max % of your bankroll that you would use to enter a live tourney ?  Or is it a case of only playing that tourney if you have generated the funds playing cash (so, setting yourself a target to hit in a certain time) ?

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 16:37:00 PM »

It"s actually going very well, I may have to give up Poker, because I"m so fully Booked!!

Dave, I am tempted to add another category just for you.  But then again, maybe it would get a lot more votes and it"s just people aren"t as honest as you about it  ;)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 17:21:25 PM »
erm... "social" expense duly ticked  ;D ;D ;D

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 18:03:26 PM »
Although I should I have never really thought about live tournaments in bankroll terms. However being from Yorkshire I am unlikely to play in too many events that I can"t really afford as I have an in built spending control mechanism (ie: I am a nit).

It"s hard to say, over the years I"ve played £5 tournaments up to £2k tournaments and generally I would "flick it in" for any tournament up to around the £200 mark on my own money (without backing/sats) but I have been pretty lucky in that I started winning pretty much from day 1 so never really feel like I am behind.

For events I really want to play I would try and qualify online of the sats are worth playing (DTD springs to mind with GTE"s/overlay) but would never travel to play a live sat as it would then be a fait accompli that I would play the event anyway, having travelled there - plus I find live sats a pretty tedious way of sending my existence. I have also sold action in the past for events outside my bankroll that I really want to play but where I feel I can justify that I am worth backing at a fair price, usually to people I know quite well.

Live poker is more a social "treat" for me these days as I can"t play as often as I used to, so I tend to pick decent tournaments that won"t last more than 2/3 days but are "worth playing" and very much worth winning. So it is usually a mixture of social/backing/online sats, as long as the sats are value.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 18:27:14 PM »
My record in sats is so bad that I"ve given up with them. I just buy in to all the tournaments I play these days.
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

Scousebill

• Gold Member
  • Liverpool FC, APAT Poker @TheHummingbirds CoLFC
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 18:42:43 PM »
Normally out of my own pennies but at the moment I am using other peoples because I have had a good few months online. The vote was social but I still have managed to sat into a few APAT ones...
Silver Medal APAT European Champs. 2015
WCOAP 6-MAX Champion, 2015.
2015 APAT Player of The Year.
Online 10th Anniversary Vegas Sat. Winner 2016

Twitter @APATBillShep

petersimon

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 19:06:50 PM »
Live and online Tournements are the same for me!
Funding is all about what money I have saved in my bank account and if I have saved enough I have no problems funding a live tournement.
I go to this Live tournements to have some fun, meet nice people and play good poker... not very woried about results and winnings.
I know its not the best way to manage your bankroll but thats the best way to manage my Life.

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 19:13:53 PM »
Nice post Petersimon

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 19:52:49 PM »

I"m sure the gentlemen on your books are keeping you very busy. :)
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”