Author Topic: JM 27/10 Hand 2 Awkward spot against small stacker.  (Read 3789 times)

Charlie44

• Silver Member
JM 27/10 Hand 2 Awkward spot against small stacker.
« on: October 27, 2013, 21:45:51 PM »
Only 6 hands on villain and stats of 33/17. I assume he is weak player by the fact he has small stack and I haven"t played many hands against him (building up large volume against regs).

I have missed the flop but assume I have reasonable equity against his wide calling range pre. With SPR of less than 3 what"s my best play on flop - Check/call, check/fold, check raise all in, bet about 1/2 pot or shove all in ?

PokerStars - $0.10 NL FAST - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

BTN: $2.16
SB: $21.59
BB: $10.52
UTG: $8.85
Hero (UTG+1): $10.00
UTG+2: $2.64
MP: $12.56
MP+1: $53.20
CO: $24.66

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has Ah Ks
fold, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.25, fold, fold

Flop : ($0.65, 2 players) Jd Tc 8h
Hero ?

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
Re: JM 27/10 Hand 2 Awkward spot against small stacker.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »
from ep you really should as a minimum 3x open raise, I see lots of regs actually 3.5x from ep.

As played I tend to go into never fold mode in these spots, not sure if that is correct though. If we are not folding, checking  gives villain opportunity to get it in bad.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Charlie44

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »

from ep you really should as a minimum 3x open raise, I see lots of regs actually 3.5x from ep.

Yes interesting discussion this Brendan. I know it is the norm because early position raises should be with stronger hands. I actually tend to take the opposite view. My raises in late position if anything tend to be slightly bigger because there is more chance that I will be playing in position.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 13:05:55 PM »

Yes interesting discussion this Brendan. I know it is the norm because early position raises should be with stronger hands. I actually tend to take the opposite view. My raises in late position if anything tend to be slightly bigger because there is more chance that I will be playing in position.

You will also fold to 3b"s quite frequently, a 20% saving on each of those folds is not insignificant.

You can tailor your lp raise size dependent on the players in the blinds.

Versus a nit  2.5x gets the job done and we can subsequently cbet smaller to take it down postflop.

Versus fish we can 2.5x our weak hands and 3x + our strong hands, they dont pay attention and allow us to exploit that.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Charlie44

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 16:16:37 PM »

You will also fold to 3b"s quite frequently, a 20% saving on each of those folds is not insignificant.

You can tailor your lp raise size dependent on the players in the blinds.

Versus a nit  2.5x gets the job done and we can subsequently cbet smaller to take it down postflop.

Versus fish we can 2.5x our weak hands and 3x + our strong hands, they dont pay attention and allow us to exploit that.

Thanks for the advice Brendan. Certainly lots to think about here. I am not convinced either way yet about fish. Of course you want them heads up in position with big hands and big pots. Whilst they tend to be inelastic to bet sizing this is such a profitable situation where they often stack off to tp (or worse!) do you want to risk them folding pre for a BB ?

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 18:43:27 PM »

do you want to risk them folding pre for a BB ?

There"s only a very slim chance of that happening, they love to see flops.

Charlie44

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 18:10:37 PM »
I actually check folded here which in hindsight is very weak, especially given villain"s likely wide calling range and the likely 10 outs I have even assuming villain has hit.

Preferable to folding I think is to push all in. If villain calls with top pair or minimum of pair plus draw that would mean he is folding about 50% of his range. And even against a call we probably have about 40% equity. 

An improvement on this IMO may be to bet about 1/2 pot flop and push all in turn if no 9 or 7 hits.