Author Topic: Interesting spot...180s..  (Read 6217 times)

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
Interesting spot...180s..
« on: November 05, 2013, 19:40:27 PM »
Seat 2: amcgrath1uk (26484 in chips)
Seat 4: MssMoussie (166132 in chips)
Seat 5: FlamingAAce (33179 in chips)
Seat 6: flamin91 (25831 in chips)
Seat 7: grucha888 (18374 in chips)

1st $123
2nd $82
3rd $46
4th $30
5th $23

Blinds are 2k/4k/400.

What"s your strategy here to cash as much as possible? With 1 player having 60% of the chips, it makes things tricky!
Season 6 Online Ranking Winner
Season 6 UK Online Winner
Season 6 Member of the winning England team at the WCOAP
Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
Seasons 10 WCOAP Player of the series
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
Re: Interesting spot...180s..
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 19:44:19 PM »
Where is the Button?
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 19:57:36 PM »
Attack. As long as big stack hasn"t shown the habit to call off easily, we attack the rest of the players, building our stack quickly and decimating theirs.

All in!!
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

amcgrath1uk

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 22:41:05 PM »

Where is the Button?

In this situation what does it matter that much?

Attack. As long as big stack hasn"t shown the habit to call off easily, we attack the rest of the players, building our stack quickly and decimating theirs.

All in!!

They were calling off Qx + and raising any pot that was unopened...

Season 6 Online Ranking Winner
Season 6 UK Online Winner
Season 6 Member of the winning England team at the WCOAP
Season 6 Member of the England 'B' team, bronze medallists at the Home Internationals
Seasons 10 WCOAP Player of the series
WCOAP 8 game champ
WCOAP turbo champ
WCOAP Pineapple 2n

s4ooter

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • @s4ooter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 23:27:58 PM »
I"m getting it in as aggressor with Qx + all PP, plus 50% of suited one gappers and connectors. Big stacks opening range is 70% and is calling it off with 30ish% so you can 3jam 50% of hands and be profitable
Team Gotham - The Joker

Serial APAT Underachiever

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 02:29:32 AM »
For seat 4 this is the funnest spot ever, all the shorter stacks are in a folding war and he should abuse the bejaysus out of them.

As for your question, it"s quite a broad question and there is no real correct answer other than, it depends largely on what the other shorties do. When a shorty is ai versus the big stack the other 3 players benefit hugely in $EV.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:08:46 AM »

Where is the Button?

Because if we have the btn and the blinds are due to go up in the next 2 hands, im folding more than I would if we are BB next hand and the blinds just went up ldo!
[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

Charlie44

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »
Clearly the situation changes hand to hand, but IMO as it stands I would only be calling with AK and 99+. If the big stack is calling with Q+ thats about 70% of his range and even if he folds sounds like others likely to call so it looks as if you have virtually no fold equity. So pushing range should be similar to calling range.

Everybody has already won minimum of $23 each so $189 left to allocate. Expected extra winnings of big stack approx $78, leaving $28 extra expected winnings on average for other players. If you go all in and double up you will only increase your expected extra winnings to approx $42. So whenever you are all in you want to expect to win 66% of time (28/42). Against Q+ that is AK, 99+.

So the best strategy for the time being IMO to maximse your expected prize money is to sit tight, hope to get dealt a monster hand, watch the other players get knocked out and ladder up.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 13:08:06 PM »
if they are going beserk let them. I"d just go with anything decent as and when the spot arises but not making any hero folds for the sake of ICM, rightly or wrongly.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
I honestly cannot stress enough how bad sitting and doing nothing is in this situation. You take away your chance to win the tournament.  10c

You want to be top 2 in these, the rest of the money is nor worth worrying about. Attack the short stacks
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 23:35:45 PM »
Read this thread in Vegas but my head was never actually clear enough to be able to put a post together. This spot is not that unusual in these fwiw.

Why is everybody assuming that they are "going berserk" there is no reason to think this, at this stage people usually fold more than they should. Why have we invented a dynamic that does not usually exist, have I missed something? Also I totally disagree that if the big stack folds it is likely that one of the others will call unless this table is playing very unusually at this stage. The big stack being behind is a pain but I would shove any Ace, any King Q9+, all pairs and any two broadway. I just do not believe there is a dynamic not too. You just cannot play these things scared at this point. Your shoving range and calling range should not be the same and you have MASSIVE fold equity against all players other than the big stack.

I"m getting it in as aggressor with Qx + all PP, plus 50% of suited one gappers and connectors. Big stacks opening range is 70% and is calling it off with 30ish% so you can 3jam 50% of hands and be profitable

Sorry Dann, I might be misunderstanding you so tell me if that is the case, but I would disagree. If the big stack is going to be opening 70% of hands he is folding almost never to a 3-bet, this should not even really be in our thinking. In fact he probably just makes his raise a shove anyway due to stack sizes. You might have a small amount of fold equity against a min raise (you shouldn"t but may do) but I would treat a 3-bet shove the same as calling an allin. In this case you have almost zero fold equity, 30% is certainly way too low of a calling range. If he is opening 70% though I would jam/call vs him really wide any ace is good I suppose and most Kings.

Where is the Button?

Because if we have the btn and the blinds are due to go up in the next 2 hands, im folding more than I would if we are BB next hand and the blinds just went up ldo!

Surely you should still shove the button more often than UTG? There might not be a massive difference here but just as an example I may fold a hand like small SC UTG but shove them OTB. I tend to agree that it doesn"t matter a whole lot where the button is by this point.

It is likely to be a folding war with everybody trying to ladder up, your position sucks but you still have to try and take advantage of this. A shove getting through wins you 8K which is massive at this point and if you win a couple you can survive a clash with one of the smaller stacks and also can make more if you do get a hand against the big stack. Then you can win the game.

Does this post make any sense? Not sure how well I have explained this one, having played lot"s of these lately though I feel that the way a lot of what is said on this thread, whilst all really good theory will not be totally optimal in practice.

tbh I also doubt the big stack calling with any queen, why do we think this and how confident are we in this read? May he calls like Q8 and QT but do we really think he calls Q2 or Q4? This makes a slight difference.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.