Author Topic: When good play just isn't enough  (Read 5244 times)

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
When good play just isn't enough
« on: December 31, 2013, 14:37:38 PM »
I haven"t posted any PLO hands on here before, but a few of you will no doubt enjoy this one.

I"m playing the $8r, 6 max, on Pokerstars (15 min clock) last night. 174 runners, 18 paid. I made one re-buy and the add on.

I have been short for quite a while, but I know patience can sometimes be rewarded in this format and structure, and I have had quite a bit of success playing this way.

Gradually, with 35 players left, I have been picking up a few small pots to get nearer the money and my patience is eventually rewarded when I double up through the chip leader who tries to bluff me when I have the nuts, nuts for a scoop.

I"m up to 9th place and pretty safe for a cash.

Not long after we are down to 19 and the following hand happened against the guy in 19th (a Russian obv).

I have    Ad  Kd   A s  9s

He is to my right and pots it,  I re pot to isolate and he shoves to be all in. He shows  Ac  Qh   9d  4s

The flop comes  Kc  7s  2h turn  4d river  4c

So he survives. On another table there is an all in which loses and we are ITM.

The tables get broken and the Russian is now elsewhere.

About 30 mins later I am still 9th but I noticed he is now chip leader with 145k!!!!!

I play really well and get down to the final 6, but am the short stack with 110k. Blinds are 2500/5000.

The next hand I have   Ad  Qd  Kc  Kh on the button.

It folds round to the Russian, who is once again on my right,  who min raises to 10k, as he has done a lot, from a 128k stack. I decide that with 22 bigs my hand is strong enough and I raise to 30k, expecting him to fold. But he just calls.

The flop comes  7h  5c  4d and he checks.

Well I assume that he has little or none of this, as he has been prone to check fold his weaker hands post flop previously in the game. I decide that with 16 bigs behind I am probably in front, so I pot it to 67k.

He insta shoves and I obv call off my remaining 18k, assuming the worst that he is all over it.

He shows  Js  10s   8d   5c   :o :o

So he has no draws whatsoever, except to a 5 for a set or a 6 for a straight or if the board pairs one of his other hole cards for 2 pair.

Turn  7s

So now his 2 pair options are gone and he"s down to a 5 or a 6.

River  6h

I won $192 for 6th and he went on to win the tourney for $1187.00

Happy New Year.

APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: When good play just isn't enough
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 14:47:01 PM »
Can"t do much more Rich - people play bad, and sometimes get there..... and far more often in PLO than in NLHE... but they are the reason why we keep playing ;)

Had a hand in the PLO8 rebuy last night - was chip leader of the last 16, and got in against 2nd place for a mahoosive pot. I called his button raise from my BB with QJJ9ds.... flop 8TQ giving me the nuts and a flush redraw. I lead out, and he made a full pot raise - I shoved, and he tank called..... he had no hand and no draw..... turn and river both diamonds to give him a baby flush. He was Russian - nuff said.

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 20:31:41 PM »
50p please :)

Jokha

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 20:49:02 PM »
Post should be titled "When good starting hands aren"t enough" :P  Or "Why pairs in your hole cards are trouble in PLO"

If you"re up against a bare over-pair in PLO, then you"re fine calling a pot bet on the flop with one pair (where you"ve hit the flop) and a gut shot.  Of course you have to be pretty sure that your opponent does indeed have an over-pair and hasn"t properly connected with the flop.  Hand equity stats below for your exit hand (on the flop), from PLO odds calculator tool at http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-tools/odds-calculator/omaha:-

Your hand:  46.22%
Your opponent"s hand:  53.78%

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 21:13:43 PM by Jokha »

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 22:01:40 PM »

Post should be titled "When good starting hands aren"t enough" :P  Or "Why pairs in your hole cards are trouble in PLO"

If you"re up against a bare over-pair in PLO, then you"re fine calling a pot bet on the flop with one pair (where you"ve hit the flop) and a gut shot.  Of course you have to be pretty sure that your opponent does indeed have an over-pair and hasn"t properly connected with the flop.  Hand equity stats below for your exit hand (on the flop), from PLO odds calculator tool at http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-tools/odds-calculator/omaha:-

Surely he cant be a favourite with a pair of 5"s and a gut shot to a 4 outter?
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

Jokha

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 22:07:10 PM »

In addition to their two-pair draws and runner-runner outs, yep.  Had to guess that your 4th card in that hand was something inconsequential (only saw KKQ in your OP).

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 22:07:26 PM »

Against you - of course he is

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 22:08:12 PM »
However the Ace of diamonds does not appear in posts

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 22:46:27 PM »
Basically it"s a flip

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 22:58:24 PM »
Basically he just runs bad - But we love him

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 04:32:33 AM »
If you use Chrome or one of its derivatives then Rich only plays with 3 hole cards.
However if you use IE or firefox he plays with the standard 4.

Starting to think it"s time to ditch Chrome; there"s tons of stuff it just doesn"t work with where other browsers do.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »

This only looks at one part of the hand though there is a lot more too it than that.

This is me talking about a PLO tournament so please ignore everything that I say as it is most unlikely to be right. The first hand is obviously played totally fine ds aces, with some connectivity and you get it all in pre. As far as the maths goes you actually get it in as an 80% favorite in that hand which is about as good as you ever can in PLO but from your perspective the hand should play itself anyway.

The second hand his min raise is on the face of it very poor as his hand is really horrible. You don"t mention position and it might have been fine if he raised from the cut off say and people were folding it it but it looks bad. With your hand I prefer a full pot raise to 37500, than the raise to 30K. you then have an 82500 pot post flop when he calls you instead of a 67500 pot. It makes his call more of a mistake and means you can shove the flop as you will have less than a PSB behind (ie you have 72500 in your stack instead of 80000). When you have an overpair you want to be able to shove the flop. I would guess this would be the most profitable way for you to play the hand. From my limited experience people just do not fold for 20K into a pot of 47500. THEY HAVE FOUR CARDS YOU KNOW THAT LOADS OF WAYS OF WINNING ;-)

Given that you will have a pot of 82500 and only have 72500 behind you only need to flop 46.7% equity on the flop to be profitable. Against his actual hand you flop that around 71% of the time so by potting it pre flop you make more money long term than by raising to 30K, you also have a small chance of getting him to fold. Against his actual hand we are about 47.6% to win on the flop so with the money already in the pot it is extremely profitable to get it in, when the flop comes down we are more than a 47% against his range I think though so overall you play the hand profitably on every street. We just would have been even more profitable if we had potted it pre here.

Maybe one of the btter PLO players like Steve or Stu can confirm what I am saying here.

nb: I assume the 5c is either 5s in either his hand or on the board as it can"t be in both :-)
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Sugar_Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 10:57:51 AM »

nb: I assume the 5c is either 5s in either his hand or on the board as it can"t be in both :-)

A pair of 5 of clubs trumps everything, Curly was drawing dead on the river.

ps I"m using Chrome and the  ad1 was clear as day
S4 G UK Team - LPM
S6 S UK Online, B Online Team Cup, Home Internationals - England "B", Irish Online
S7 G (& Bracelet) WCOAP Online
S8 G Scottish Online, B WCOAP Stud
S9 S WCOAP Team - England, B UK Team - LPM
S10 S Irish Online, England Captain - WCOAP
S13 B UK Team - APAT Degens

AJDUK

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 16:59:08 PM »

ps I"m using Chrome and the  ad1 was clear as day

Turned adblocker off and bingo. Thanks Matt.
England Captain WCOAP 2014 - Come on England!!!!

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 17:12:43 PM »

In addition to their two-pair draws and runner-runner outs, yep.  Had to guess that your 4th card in that hand was something inconsequential (only saw KKQ in your OP).

My hand was Ad Qd Kc Kh
APAT Season 6 statistics