Author Topic: HELP i'm beginning to crack!!!!  (Read 7274 times)

Phoenix1278

HELP i'm beginning to crack!!!!
« on: May 28, 2008, 17:27:52 PM »
I have been playing poker seriously now for about a year and it feels like i have just hit a wall and cant go any futher!!
I watch, play and read abut poker almost everyday because i just love the game
My problem is no matter what i do and no matter what i try i always fall flat on my face, my best cards are beaten by donky calls and muppets just being stupid (more online than live). Drawing dead for hours on end and having every hand i play dominated by limpers, even when i raise to chase out the limpers they just call any way and some how win the hands to the showdown,
AA with a pre flop raise of 4x BB busted by KTo.
K8o all in (blind steal) busted by QQ (Q) on the river.
Etc Etc Etc Etc
My confidence is low and my game is suffering so much i"m almost at the point of quiting all together which i really dont want to do.
Am i just a bad losing player or does everyone go through patches like this.

i could really use the help if anyone wants to give some advice.

thanks
Phoenix1278

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: HELP i'm beginning to crack!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 17:51:21 PM »
If you are normally winning then this is variance and this is a down swing. However, running bad can cause a few leaks

1. Read some hand histories to convince yourself you are making good decisions. check out the donkeys on sharkscope (if you play SNGs). Seeing how much they are losing long term always helps me cope with a bad beat.

2. take a break for a few weeks then come back refreshed.

3. Alternatively, go down to micro levels and play tilt poker ???
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 23:17:25 PM »
downswings are painful, but so long as you are prepared to play through them and stick to playing a decent strong game, you will be fine.

Important to not let yourself go broke during a downswing though - play within your bankroll at all times, and never risk so much that it will put you at risk.  

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »
Play within your bankroll. If you are starting to crack up its time to take a break and get the thing into perspective.

If you are not having fun, take a break.

Try to play for fun and challenge instead of purely to win. Do everything to win but dont make this the ultimate yardstick of success. If you have played well and got your chips in with the best hand then pat yourself of the back regardless of the outcome - you cant control the cards.

Let the donks enjoy their wins, dont berate them. You dont want to chase them away. "Luck is the bait that keeps the fish coming back"

Good Luck

Phoenix1278

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:15:37 PM »
Just one example of what i"m having to put up with at the mo happened to me last night.
I got my nut flush (clubs) on the turn a 9c just to be that it gave him a full house aces over nines.
Sick!

i"m taking some time off!

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 13:01:06 PM »

Just one example of what i"m having to put up with at the mo happened to me last night.
I got my nut flush (clubs) on the turn a 9c just to be that it gave him a full house aces over nines.
Sick!

i"m taking some time off!

Unfortunately, situations like that happen to everyone.  It"s what makes poker the frustrating game that it is.

I agree with the guys comments above and would stress that if you are not enjoying your poker at the moment, then taking a short break is not such a bad idea.

Everyone runs bad at some point and it appears that the poker gods are all against you at that time.  But it is just variance and as long as you can be sure that you are making the the right decisions during the game, then that should be your measurement of success.

Over the longer term, the lucky donks who make the rash decisions cannot be consistently lucky.

One further point I would add is to review the games that you are playing.  If you are playing the same site/level each night, you are going to come across the same players.  Why not vary your choice of game.

Stick with it.

Leigh

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 13:01:45 PM »
It would be callous of me to recommend Drink or Drugs to ease your pain, but.......
  Deepstack champion S2  

donmatt

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 13:25:02 PM »
It sounds like you"re taking too many risks. Try playing smaller pots and don"t risk your whole stack unless you have a lock. The thing about the  9c making your opponents FH is that you didn"t have the nuts and still put all your money in, and in fact this guy had you beat all along!

Also, K8 beaten by QQ? Erm, maybe poker isn"t the game for you after all...

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 13:33:43 PM »
Read some poker books

I"m not being mean - honest - this will combine 2 of the recommendations. First of all it will make you take a proper look at whether you are playing well, or if you are getting into bad habits. Secondly, it just takes you away from playing for a bit and gives you a break.

Allied with this idea, is that you could learn a new variant of poker - it might be that you"re getting a bit jaded with hold"em. If you"re getting unlucky, this might lead to you playing worse, which obviously leads to your results getting even worse - a way out of this vicious circle would be to learn something new.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 13:51:19 PM »
OK two points that spring to mind. If you are putting your chips in ahead, and people are playing badly and calling and then outdrawing you - that"s a good thing.  In a cash game you "always" win when you put your money in ahead - irrespective of the result.  You want to play with muppets.

Second point, is that if someone calls your 4xBB raise with 74o and cracks your aces, is it a bad call by them pre-flop?  They have risked 4BBs to potentially win 100BB+.  I think you need to adjust your perspective on what a good hand is, and realise that a good pre-flop hand might be a very poor one once the flop has come down.  More important than hand selection (IMO) is stack sizes and position.  These are often far more important as to how a hand plays than the two hole cards.

All that said, for me table selection is the single most important thing in poker.  Either in selecting the tournament to play (and what level of buy-in suits you), or choosing the cash game to pull up a seat at.  Get that right, and you"re already half way there.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Phoenix1278

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 14:02:15 PM »
Two things...
1.  K8 v QQ i know it sounds bad but i had a made a pair of kings on the flop so i was leading on the flop and turn, his set came on the river. Also with the FH case if it was any other club i would have beaten him.

2. I have read through Harrington on hold"em Vol.1 and 2 and about half way through the third but i am planning on going through them again and i"m also planning on getting the theory of poker and super system some time soon.

I play a tight conservitive game so i try not taking to many risks and i do think about what they could have and my reading skills are getting better but there are not as good as someof the people i play with.

I do play Omaha every now and again but i do tend to stick to hold"em are there any variants you would recommend?

Thanks for all the replys so far

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 14:13:27 PM »
Jon would recommend Razz - but he"s a freak.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 14:14:40 PM »

It"s almost like you"re psychic sometimes.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 14:18:54 PM »

It"s almost like you"re psychic sometimes.

If you ask nicely Jon will tell you about how he played against Jen Harman and beat her.

If you ask really nicely, he won"t.

Phoenix1278

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 15:00:02 PM »
I have seen Razz being played but i have no idea on whats going on, any chance you guys can shed some light on that one for me :)