Author Topic: Memory - Can it be fixed?  (Read 7833 times)

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
Re: Memory - Can it be fixed?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 12:01:25 PM »
I tend to be more confident with the maths but that doesn"t help when you have a potential hand against a monster. If I"m getting 3/1 or 7/2 on my money for a call then it probably appears to be a good proposition in many cases. Recently I"ve started studying my opponents more and made some plays I wouldn"t have in the past and been happy with results....Example:
On Thursday night at a game in Glasgow, with blinds at 300/600 I raised in mid position to 1800 with AK but was then re-raised to 5.8k by an all in move in cut-off. I still had 6.8k back, would cost me 4k to win 8.5k, so situation was looking good. When I then studied the info I"d picked up about the guy"s previously plays and watched his body language etc. I threw away my AK and he turned over KK, making me very relieved and confident for the rest of the game. I finally went out 9th at FT with blinds at 3/6k, folded round to me I pushed 30k on button with A10s but ran into bb with AJs and missed the board.
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 07:25:42 AM »

I tend to be more confident with the maths but that doesn"t help when you have a potential hand against a monster. If I"m getting 3/1 or 7/2 on my money for a call then it probably appears to be a good proposition in many cases. Recently I"ve started studying my opponents more and made some plays I wouldn"t have in the past and been happy with results....Example:
On Thursday night at a game in Glasgow, with blinds at 300/600 I raised in mid position to 1800 with AK but was then re-raised to 5.8k by an all in move in cut-off. I still had 6.8k back, would cost me 4k to win 8.5k, so situation was looking good. When I then studied the info I"d picked up about the guy"s previously plays and watched his body language etc. I threw away my AK and he turned over KK, making me very relieved and confident for the rest of the game. I finally went out 9th at FT with blinds at 3/6k, folded round to me I pushed 30k on button with A10s but ran into bb with AJs and missed the board.

well done sir,
you have reached a stage in your poker where you are now thinking about your opponents hand ranges and patterns as well as your hand and stack sizes etc etc
Next stage , spotting a thinking player and thinking i know he knows that i know therefore if i do this he will do that   :) :) :)

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 13:16:30 PM »
i think that memory is highly important in live poker especially..its easy to remember people when you look at their body language, and you can always write down their betting patterns in breaks, or just a dash to the loo! an understanding in basic math is also important, but he way i see it u could be a math whizz but if you cant read players or do pay attention to them and their traits its still not going to help you much.

i wouldn"t let it bother you though..it will just affect your overall game

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 14:47:36 PM »
The best state you can be in to be able to remember patterns and tendancies is to be able to concentrate and focus on your game. It doesnt matter how good a golfer Tiger Woods is, if he isnt concentrating and focusing on Golf he wont play good Golf. It isnt crucial to remember the details of all the hands, and you should not worry about this. In order to concentrate and focus you need to be fresh and be at ease with the world and yourself. If your mind has a tendancy to drift, or if repetitive thoughts creep into you mind as you are playing then your ability to remember will be diminished. If you notice this happening just be aware of it without judgement, let the thoughts pass, and re-focus on the game.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 15:18:09 PM »
lmao got this as i pressed reply - Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you"re sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

but what the heck, i"ve been doing my usual tanking and looking at old threads on all sorts of forums and i read TP2P"s post and all the replies but i feel there was something missing.We had the betting patterns and tendencies covered pretty much
and the maths of poker came up,nearly everything but getting in the opponent"s head.
The best bit of advice i ever got to expand my poker game was to don"t just put them on a range of hands; try to put them on a way of thinking, estimate the sophistication of a player"s thinking and try to play optimally against them based on that.

If anyone is interested here is a link i used in the past,it is all economics and game theory and explains concepts about understanding and modeling behavior - (1) players with no experience behave the same against competitors with and without experience but (2) players quickly learn to condition their behavior on competitors experience level, causing (3) behavior to stop moving toward the equilibrium whenever new players enter the game and (4) experienced players to earn more money than less experienced players.
I like to think i got the basic fundamentals of poker learnt now but i am more interested in gaining experience by playing and reading forums/blogs so i get a feel of how others view situations etc etc..

anyhows here is the link for those interested - http://kuznets.fas.harvard.edu/~aroth/alroth.html#GameTheory