Author Topic: APAT European Amateur Team Championship  (Read 65070 times)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: APAT European Team Championship
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 11:40:05 AM »

Hi Des

The original announcement was that this would be an invitational for the leading 16 APAT ranked players from 4 countries (Wales, England, Scotland and Ireland).

This has now changed to 4 players + 1 captain from 8 countries, but these players do NOT have to be top APAT ranked.

Can you please explain the change in thought for this. Are you really going to get 4 players from France, Italy, Hungary and Germany travelling over to the UK for this?
In my opinion, i think that these countries will end up being played by UK APAT members who have some tenuous connection with these countries.
I looked upon this event as being a reward for doing well in Season 2 of APAT, with the teams being made up of the top ranked players from their country, with maybe the captain having a wildcard pick as well (similar to the Ryder Cup).

Have to agree with Darren on this one.  Although I think it is great that we are looking to expand our horizons even more from these shores, I was looking forward to an end of season finale with the top players from season 2 getting to represent their countries.

I do think the structure of competitions is brilliant over the weekend.  A mixture of STT, Heads-Up and MTT should be excellent.

Bit worried about the numbers though Des.  After all when it comes to APAT events in Brighton, we are use to three people and a dog, and one of those is normally the dealer.  They might have to get some extra chairs in.   ;D

Leigh

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »
Is it still leadin apat players for teams ?? obviously after london and final placings sorted out, good to know and is probably best way to decide teams and fairest way !

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 12:41:34 PM »
Firstly, with regards to the 4 additional countries.....this will improve the tournament and I cannot see any negatives around this for any of the UK / Irish teams.  Secondly, a bit of respect for these players please, no more talk about Hungarian grandfathers etc.

With regards to the makeup of the UK / Irish teams, looking at the most recent published rankings, I can see that the highest ranked English player that has won an APAT National event is ranked in 16th position and way off the top 4 English players.  I expect the Captains to be mature enough to look at all of the factors in determining their final selections.  I would include Rankings very much in that.  But it does lessen the hand of a Captain if they cannot choose players strategically.  That said, it would not surprise me at all if each of the UK / Irish teams are picked solely on Rankings.

duncthehat

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »
Damn only other country I have a tenous link with is Holland and they are not on the list damn  :"(
WSOP 2014 Seniors 207th - A cash at last!
WSOP 2011 Horse just off a cash :(
WSOP 2012 Horse Crap.  Stud Hi Lo 3 off money :(
3 x Horse WCOAP Final Tables
1 x Razz WCOAP Final Table
Apat Series PLO Runner up 2011
3 x APAT NLH Top 10 Finishes

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2008, 23:01:35 PM »
One more point, there will not be any players selected for a country based on tenuous links.    ::)

Also, the format of this event should work exceptionally well with 8 countries involved, but would not with 4. 

Finally, we are in discussions with poker organisations / teams within the countries mentioned and they are extremely interested in coming to Brighton for a chance to take the Cup and title to Europe.

morlspin

• Silver Member
    • morlspin
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2008, 23:20:32 PM »
Just signaling my intentions that I would love to represent England in this
APAT Northern Regional Champion 2008
APAT ECAOP Online Player of the Series 2012

Dewi_cool

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 23:32:22 PM »
should it not be up to each individual country to pick the capt, whether he be playing or non playing?

also as i understand proffesionals can play in this, so how can the current rankings come in to play?
Ex Captain Team 'Cymru'

Santino67

• Platinum Member
  • Fat Charlie Sheen - @GrantSpeirs
    • Bebo & Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 23:34:29 PM »
Shhhhh Mary, I fancy putting myself forward for Scotland  ;D
APAT Scottish Amateur Champion 2011 :~)
APAT Online North America PLO Champion 2011
Chipaccrual's Big APAT Christmas End Of Year Quiz Champion 2011
2012 Scottish Captain @ ECOAP
APAT Online Irish PLO Champion 2013
APAT Online Scottish Champion 2017

Dewi_cool

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 23:35:13 PM »
also, I think it should be played as the team event in Blackpool, gives more players a chance to play and makes the social side of things a bit better.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 23:39:48 PM by Dewi_cool »
Ex Captain Team 'Cymru'

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 00:02:33 AM »

should it not be up to each individual country to pick the capt, whether he be playing or non playing?

also as i understand proffesionals can play in this, so how can the current rankings come in to play?

It"s an amateur event Dewi, so there will be no professionals playing. (I will clarify that in title).

I think the Team Managers (may be better terminology than Captain) should be experienced and know the players and APAT well, wherever possible. 

As there is no organisational process in place within each Country, a small number of players will inevitably end up selecting the Manager, which may lead to a suspicion of favouritism etc, in final team selection.  If APAT chooses the Manager, then that question disappears as we are independent of each individual country. 

However, once the Manager is in place all decisions with regards to selection / tactics will be made within each Country.

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 00:10:12 AM »

also, I think it should be played as the team event in Blackpool, gives more players a chance to play and makes the social side of things a bit better.

I think by its nature this event will be quite different to Blackpool Dewi and I feel there is space in the APAT calendar for a more serious event, which should add to the overall tournament experience of those who play in it.

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
Re: APAT European Amateur Team Championship
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 11:24:32 AM »
Just a quick note to agree with des the tournament looks superb to play in and that is probably why people are pushing there ideas to try and make the team!
And the more countries in it the better it is good to play with different players from different cultures.
if it comes down to overall rankings then that means more people will play the remianing ranking events which can only be good for APAT and the more sponsorship off blue square next year !

Arius

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »
scouse:
If you remember Vienna it was a great thing that you could play against different players all over Europe. I met most of you and had a pleasent surprise that poker can help you to get new friends. I still owe some beer some of you  ;D
Arius (the Hungarian bubbleboy)

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 13:21:08 PM »

scouse:
If you remember Vienna it was a great thing that you could play against different players all over Europe. I met most of you and had a pleasent surprise that poker can help you to get new friends. I still owe some beer some of you  ;D
Arius (the Hungarian bubbleboy)

is right fella!!! vienna was awesome and that was my whole point !
be good to see you again Arius as long as i make the team !
woop woop !!

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 14:02:26 PM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 14:05:25 PM by Kinboshi »
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason