Author Topic: Are you a donkey? Take the test  (Read 12904 times)

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Are you a donkey? Take the test
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2008, 09:43:39 AM »

i never said a thing  :)

better class player?? err no
the test is a bit of fun,take it that way..

i apologize if you were offended  :(

no offence taken...i did take the test as a bit of fun...as I couldn"t do it properly as i certainly dont have the knowledge of the maths nailed down enough to get a proper view on my poker for such a test..

i had a bad day yesterday..shouldn"t have read it again and certainly not replied....no harm done..moving on!

other than super series and harrington....any hints on books, forums to get the edge on maths, ?...we could call it quits then .... ;)
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2008, 14:24:04 PM »
forget maths for now that will come with experience , just learn the basics , flush draws,straight draws,odds to hit set etc etc
Super system is still good for learning sound fundamentals.
John Vorhaus books good for learning about yourself and your poker goals,he does the killer poker series.These books help you explore how you think and feel about your game and how your moods etc affect you and your game.Killer poker:strategy and tactics is a good one to start with,in it he generally gives you exercises and questions to help you understand how you play and view others.
Theory of poker by sklansky [still stands the test of time]
Forums - here ok , you get varied opinions. ;D
2+2 although just read posts for a couple of weeks to get a general idea of questions to ask,then try to be as active as possible in the threads and your knowledge will come on in leaps and bounds.
PokerXfactor - very good training site for mtts and sngs,plenty of quality videos by articulate instructors who know what they are talking about.Also a handy replayer to download your hand histories into and review you can also ask on pxf forum the pros questions on hands you"ve played or ones they have played in the videos that you have watched [ask about any concept your not sure about] Also the videos are by different style players so you can relate your own game with some and the others like say belowabove give you a good insight into how effective very loose lag style is if used properly.

If your really intrested in the maths and probability in poker then    Ross, Sheldon. (2006)  A First Course in Probability is the one.......(Sixth International edition) Pearson. Library reference: 512.73 ROS
This is a highly recommended book on probability. It has a beautiful presentation of theory and lots of exercises. Unfortunately, it is rather expensive to buy so look at the library copies first.Its heavy going though,or books by bill chen are ok.
site good for reference - http://probability.infarom.ro/gambling.html
just select the odds tab.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:04:42 AM by noble1 »

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 19:33:44 PM »

forget maths for now that will come with experience , just learn the basics , flush draws,straight draws,odds to hit set etc etc
Super system is still good for learning sound fundamentals.
John Vorhaus books good for learning about yourself and your poker goals,he does the killer poker series.These books help you explore how you think and feel about your game and how your moods etc affect you and your game.Killer poker:strategy and tactics is a good one to start with,in it he generally gives you exercises and questions to help you understand how you play and view others.
Theory of poker by sklansky [still stands the test of time]
Forums - here ok , you get varied opinions. ;D
2+2 although just read posts for a couple of weeks to get a general idea of questions to ask,then try to be as active as possible in the threads and your knowledge will come on in leaps and bounds.
PokerXfactor - very good training site for mtts and sngs,plenty of quality videos by articulate instructors who know what they are talking about.Also a handy replayer to download your hand histories into and review you can also ask on pxf forum the pros questions on hands you"ve played or ones they have played in the videos that you have watched [ask about any concept your not sure about] Also the videos are by different style players so you can relate your own game with some and the others like say belowabove give you a good insight into how effective very loose lag style is if used properly.

If your really intrested in the maths and probability in poker then    Ross, Sheldon. (2006)  A First Course in Probability is the one.......(Sixth International edition) Pearson. Library reference: 512.73 ROS
This is a highly recommended book on probability. It has a beautiful presentation of theory and lots of exercises. Unfortunately, it is rather expensive to buy so look at the library copies first.Its heavy going though,or books by bill chen are ok.
site good for reference - http://probability.infarom.ro/gambling.html
just select the odds tab.

superb...thank-you very much.  looks like you have put in a lot of work to found out this stuff, so I"ll ensure it isn"t wasted
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 20:53:49 PM »
Yes, I agree
noble1 for forum post of the year!!
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.