Author Topic: Stop and go versus pre-flop shove  (Read 9105 times)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Stop and go versus pre-flop shove
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 15:28:34 PM »

how many times have you found yourself in the blinds with a pocket pair, and re-raised all in only to be called by the mid-position raiser"s AK..... then you survive the flop, but see an A/K on the turn or river........    well at least by playing the Stop and Go move instead of the re-raise all in preflop, you increase your chances of your pair standing up against the overcards - he only has 3 cards to hit instead of all 5.

Two words- results orientated.

What about this scenario? 99 raises from the button- u flat with tens, the flop comes AJ2 you check he bets you fold......

OR

The flop comes J 7 4, you move in and 99 FOLDS

Your losing equity in this spot so many times by stop and going.

You have to win races to win tournaments- FACT.

Accepted that 10 10 will fail to double up against 99 using stop and go..... BUT more often that not it"s going to find itself in a 50/50 race against overcards, and the Stop and Go removes some of the chance situation....

I"m certainly not saying I would stop and go in every single occasion.... my point is that sometimes it is better to stop and go as opposed to preflop shoving every time. Gotta mix it up, and with a small pair in the blinds against a raise, stop and go is a viable and legitimate alternative to playing the whole hand preflop.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 15:50:37 PM »
I think a decent player would call your shove on the flop with AK anyway.
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 16:57:28 PM »

You have to win races to win tournaments- FACT.

And hit 3 outers in my case ;D
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D