Author Topic: End Game  (Read 11910 times)

THEGUY84

• Silver Member
    • http://theguy84.blogspot.com/
End Game
« on: January 09, 2009, 13:11:40 PM »
Over the last few weeks I have been playing a lot of tournaments online. I have been getting fairly deep, the last few event I have been say in the the top 10 with  say 30 runners left. I then seem to make the wrong move at the worng time into a big hand or I make a big call on a bluff and they hit mirical.

I just feel like my end game I.E when I gets down to the buisness end of poker I cant seem to get it right to the end as often as I would like.

What are your thoughs on this? And any tips?

kenny
FNP,

Though I would give this blogging a shot!!
http://theguy84.blogspot.com/

Eck

• Silver Member
Re: End Game
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 13:37:02 PM »
Yeah run better imo...no need for thanks... :)

Stick up some hands that you think contributed, you know by now it isn"t as simple as saying "yeah do this"

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 13:47:17 PM »
OPR ppl and look for a ridicoulsy high ITM %

small bet the chit out of them, if you get raised you can fold and wait for cards or reraise.

if you get called, small bet the chit outta them again...

Smaller is the new bigger imo.
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 14:02:18 PM »

Yeah run better imo...no need for thanks... :)

Stick up some hands that you think contributed, you know by now it isn"t as simple as saying "yeah do this"

this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its all about patience,aggression and picking the right spots...knowing when to change gear up or down...attacking the blinds if they do not defend a lot...being aware of who has tightened up to much and vice versa...attacking the scared players trying to move up the ladder by playing to safe....being aware of stack sizes... etc etc etc

THEGUY84

• Silver Member
End Game
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 16:30:22 PM »
Hey guys looking for your thoughts on this.

I have been playing a lot of tournament poker recently, I have been getting pretty deep in most and sitting in say the top 10 with 30 people left with from 1000 runners etc, but I just seem to mess it up, well somtimes cash in most and I do seem to get decent chip count but dont know where I am going wrong.

I feel like I seem to make right move wrong time too much at this stage or make a good read and guy hits mirical. I feel like I need to develop my game in the later stages of events when it really counts i.e wehn money is good.

use guys got any advice/tips to help improve this part of my game??

Kenny
FNP,

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 17:01:32 PM »
This is where a lot of people have concerns about their game.

A lot of time it"s simply variance at play.  Sometimes it"s because you might be playing too tight/too loose, or not reacting to the change in gears from the other players.

One thing you have to be aware of is that if you are just trying to ladder from a long way out, you aren"t going to play optimally.  In fact, if others notice a player doing that it is exploitable.

One reason that people try to ladder is that they are playing in a tournament where the money means a lot to them.  They play scared.

You"re right though, it"s at these stages of tournaments when it really counts.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 17:04:39 PM »
I"m seeing double.
Isn"t this thread in the academy section now?
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

THEGUY84

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 17:10:17 PM »
oops yeah managed to post it twice. didnt think i posted it right the first time.

Prob best reply to one or other posts here of in academy

Well I think I may open may game up too much.

FNP,

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 17:22:59 PM »
So you didn"t like our replies previously so just ignore that and start again  :D ??

Dan is correct 1st is thing don"t panic....was playing on wed night and down to 2 tables it plainly obvious quite a few hadn"t been that far before. There were about 4 or 5 guys who would open raise 6x and when everyone obv folds they show (was never lower than AK QQ +  :D)

This makes it so exploitable it is brilliant. so guy opens 6x , shows QQ next hand he opens 2x.......immed gets repopped and passes. Guy makes it 6x again (not joking this was becoming standard yet i was still getting away with 2.5/3x blind steals with filth) all fold, next hand i nick his bb with 29 i think.

It is all relative to stack sizes to how active you need to be etc and again there is no set formula just keep thinking what you are doing. It does get fairly straightforward when you get to the end and some of the time it does involve having the studs to shove them in to pick up dead money if you can identify people that won"t play back and sometimes it is laying a hand down that you think you should really be playing when you get shorthanded etc.

Said it in the other thread you started, post hands that you think have been contentious and may have caused you to not go as far as you thought you would. If you are getting to the last 30 of fields of over 300 on a regular basis though i wouldn"t worry too much tbh it will come.

Edit: sorry typed all this out and you have replied now but cba to remove post. Give examples of opening game up as it isn"t a bad thing as long as you know what you are trying to achieve.

THEGUY84

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 17:55:59 PM »
Thanks eck for posting! I shall look over my hand history over the next few days and see if I can find any which may show up some probelms.

Like last night playing 6 handed tourney, deep in tourney I was in say top 10 guy on imediate right button raises and raises from cut off all the time showing wide range of hands. So Im in big blind he raised again so, I re raises him. He flat calls. I have junk.  A raggy flop I check he bets and I reraise again as he continuation bet all the time. Then he shoves all in so, I am beating nothing. So fold, that hand cost me a lot so few hand later fairly short stack. He raises button again so a shove with ace 10 for 6000 more. He call with 4 6 and hit 6. So me out pretty standard shov I think but big stack luck always hits.

so what you think? obv its only one hand but is fairly standard for me I think.
FNP,

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 18:20:09 PM »

Dan is correct 1st is thing don"t panic....

2nd thing is...

Don"t take the bad beats out on your laptop or it might cost you more than you win, ain"t that right Eck  ;)

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 18:41:54 PM »

Thanks eck for posting! I shall look over my hand history over the next few days and see if I can find any which may show up some probelms.

Like last night playing 6 handed tourney, deep in tourney I was in say top 10 guy on imediate right button raises and raises from cut off all the time showing wide range of hands. So Im in big blind he raised again so, I re raises him. He flat calls. I have junk.  A raggy flop I check he bets and I reraise again as he continuation bet all the time. Then he shoves all in so, I am beating nothing. So fold, that hand cost me a lot so few hand later fairly short stack. He raises button again so a shove with ace 10 for 6000 more. He call with 4 6 and hit 6. So me out pretty standard shov I think but big stack luck always hits.

so what you think? obv its only one hand but is fairly standard for me I think.

POST BOTH HANDS - with your reads and stack sizes/blind level"stage of mtt/how many runners left/pay structure etc etc as much info as you can pot in,any prior hands shown by opponents etc etc
put in strategy and see what everyone thinks....

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 18:47:19 PM »

So you didn"t like our replies previously so just ignore that and start again  :D ??

Dan is correct 1st is thing don"t panic....was playing on wed night and down to 2 tables it plainly obvious quite a few hadn"t been that far before. There were about 4 or 5 guys who would open raise 6x and when everyone obv folds they show (was never lower than AK QQ +  :D)

This makes it so exploitable it is brilliant. so guy opens 6x , shows QQ next hand he opens 2x.......immed gets repopped and passes. Guy makes it 6x again (not joking this was becoming standard yet i was still getting away with 2.5/3x blind steals with filth) all fold, next hand i nick his bb with 29 i think.

It is all relative to stack sizes to how active you need to be etc and again there is no set formula just keep thinking what you are doing. It does get fairly straightforward when you get to the end and some of the time it does involve having the studs to shove them in to pick up dead money if you can identify people that won"t play back and sometimes it is laying a hand down that you think you should really be playing when you get shorthanded etc.

Said it in the other thread you started, post hands that you think have been contentious and may have caused you to not go as far as you thought you would. If you are getting to the last 30 of fields of over 300 on a regular basis though i wouldn"t worry too much tbh it will come.

Edit: sorry typed all this out and you have replied now but cba to remove post. Give examples of opening game up as it isn"t a bad thing as long as you know what you are trying to achieve.

excellent post!!
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

THEGUY84

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 19:02:53 PM »
Cool nobel Ill try do that, tomorrow night before apat tourney. Im work the now skiving lol. an the usaul stuff going through my head POKER!!!!!!
FNP,

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 19:25:40 PM »

Dan is correct 1st is thing don"t panic....

2nd thing is...

Don"t take the bad beats out on your laptop or it might cost you more than you win, ain"t that right Eck  ;)

LOL smart arse!! It was a needed release and the lappy had run out of luck obv. Currently £5k up for 2009....see all makes sense in the long run  :D :D