Author Topic: Tourney hand - comments appreciated!  (Read 10489 times)

oneill1970

• Silver Member
Tourney hand - comments appreciated!
« on: January 11, 2009, 08:07:51 AM »
I"m relatively new to tourneys, just playing one a week to dip my toe in he water, so would appreciate any advice as to what I did wrong here, or might have done later.  Normally I"m a 6max LHE player.

Online tourney, 16 players left of 66, 10 paid.  Blinds are 100/200.  I have about 1,800 in chips and am UTG.

I am dealt  :as: jh - I come in for 500.  (Should I have pushed all-in at this stage? - I wanted to standardise all my raises to disguise my steals.)
Player to my left calls, quite loose, a big pile of chips, blinds fold. 1,300 in the pot, as I recall.  I"m planning to go all-in on the flop if I hit it, but balance that against it being quite close to the bubble if I don"t.

Flop comes down:    kh qd :3c: - I have overcard and straight draw, and am thinking he may have hit with a king or queen.

I"m first to act - what should I have done?
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
Re: Tourney hand - comments appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:06:34 AM »
Shove pre flop please.

As played shove the flop
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 13:37:57 PM »

Shove pre flop please.

As played shove the flop

+1
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

oneill1970

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 13:46:52 PM »
Thanks - that"s kind of what I expected to hear!

As it turned out, I shoved the flop.

He had   :3d: :2d: and backdoored the flush.  No Ace or Jack for me.

Hey ho!
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

UKChamp

• Silver Member
  • Yesterdays hero
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 14:40:11 PM »
i dont like the shove UTG

whilst stake dictates, i am tempted to rep a bigger hand by limp raising pre or limp pushing (on any flop), in this position u could get small/med pairs to fold when they are in fact ahead.

im also not too against folding. in my opinion AJ is very marginal pushing range in that position, yes the blinds will knock ur stack but ull soon have position and i dont see many smaller aces (or smaller Js) calling here (and that is the main aim), more often than not ur pushing for a coin flip or way behind a bigger ace

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:42:10 AM »
limp/shove? You"re never getting anyone to fold???
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 13:09:57 PM »
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

tonyj444

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 13:17:33 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Kinboshi, anything under 10bb and I"m only ever shove/folding pre.  Dependant upon how tight the table is, position and ante"s I would maybe increase this up to 15bb. 

Standardising your raises as you mention is a good idea, but when you get this short the key is to make your standard raise a shove.

In this specific spot I would probably lean towards a fold (assuming 8 ppl at the table).  As mentioned you really don"t get called by anything you"re ahead of, so I much prefer a shove with any 2 cards from the button rather than a good/mediocre hand utg.  If the table is 6-handed or shorter though, I think this becomes a definite shove.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 13:31:43 PM »
shove preflop

/thread
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 13:40:04 PM »
Whilst you don"t have position, there might be an argument for folding and waiting for a better spot, but you have less than 10bbs so for me its an automatic shove.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 13:49:04 PM »
with only 1800 chips in your stack, you knew that when you committed 500 with the opening raise, you were never going to be able to fold later in the hand as you were pot committed..... SO, why not take the lead, give the other players something to think about, and get your chips in first.  with a standard raise, as soon as someone calls, and the flop is dealt, you are out of position and having to make a decision for your tourney. Also, by such a small opening raise, you"re giving everyone odds to call with any two cards.

Make it simple - pre flop shove every time in this spot.

oneill1970

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 14:03:53 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice - like I say, still a beginner at tourneys, but looking to learn!

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 17:18:55 PM »
This flop against this player i check call in an attempt to get free cards/control pot, leavin us room to get away if he checks behind which is prolly a Kx/Qx... Ax is more then likely popping back pre.

to me; flop all in is saying "i missed" look me up

He called verrry light so i doubt there"s anything you can do on flop differently to get away from him other then opening with a fold!!!!!
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 17:39:33 PM »

This flop against this player i check call in an attempt to get free cards/control pot, leavin us room to get away if he checks behind which is prolly a Kx/Qx... Ax is more then likely popping back pre.

to me; flop all in is saying "i missed" look me up

He called verrry light so i doubt there"s anything you can do on flop differently to get away from him other then opening with a fold!!!!!

?? 1300 behind 1300 pot 1 caller 6bb left ........ as played shove flop and put them to the decision if they call you have outs...
As you are low 9bb pre-flop either shove or fold is the ideal play, i"ve been known to fold AJ utg purely because i know with 8 opponents behind to get past is a long shot as the odds someone has AK AQ is pretty high it is a 50/50 for me , sometimes i do sometimes i don"t, as my min threshold is 7to8bb playing online and even with the approaching blinds and no antes even going down to 5bb will be ok for me but no less...

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 17:44:43 PM »
i"m weak tight.. what can i say? other then "nit at work"
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"