Author Topic: Is this fairly standard  (Read 2369 times)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Is this fairly standard
« on: February 01, 2009, 13:56:06 PM »
Playing in a local MTT last night down to the final 3. Me 45k on the button, small blind 40k and bb and chip leader about 55k, so fairly close. Blinds now pretty steep at 3K/6k.
So first to act look down at pocket sevens, and raise to 15k total. SB dwells and then pushes, BB immediately folds.
I think (only briefly) and call, thinking I am probably against AK, AQ ( this guy has been fairly tight and only shown down premium hands). So I think I am racing but slight favourite.
Any way he flips pocket 8s and nothing changes, and I am out in third. So my question is could I have got away from this at this stage of the tourney, with the blinds about to hit me again, having put one third of my stack in already?
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Is this fairly standard
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 14:04:00 PM »

So my question is could I have got away from this at this stage of the tourney, with the blinds about to hit me again, having put one third of my stack in already?

simple answer...you cant. You are in the crapshoot stage of the tourney and 77 is a great hand to go to war with 3 handed.
I"d have shoved pre btw, not that it would have made much difference here.

Also with these blinds and the stacks being so even, surely a 3 way money chop would have been fair.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 15:42:09 PM »
you said it in your title mikey - std

i dont mind your raise 3x but if you have position and 2 over cards come and the caller shoves what do you do? you need balls of steel and a good read on your opponents ranges to do this..
If oop say sb v bb then a 3x raise here shove any flop in this type of stack size/mtt stituation [3 handed all short] and be the 1st in putting your opponent to a difficult decision is different way of approaching it rather than shoving in all the time...

when blinds are relatively high compared to stacks try raising slightly less mikey is what i"d suggest you experiment with sir - a 2.2x raise you met find will get the same reaction from villains the same as a 3x raise would...

i got admit when it is 3 handed all fairly close stacks wise and high blinds this idea that you should not fall below 8-10bb crap is a load of baloney , i"m quite prepared to go down to 5bb before i shove any 2, chips saved are just as valuable as those won in these type of situations....

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 16:25:24 PM »
Thanks guys, I think you are right Rob, if I had shoved pre flop, maybe just maybe he could have laid his eights down.
And Noble, I agree with you re the ten bbs thing, in these type of tourneys you can easily come back from four or five bbs if you pick your spot.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013