Author Topic: Online is better than live!!!  (Read 5555 times)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Online is better than live!!!
« on: March 27, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
...At least I think so after last night"s debacle. I made my annual outing to DTD with the intention of playing the £55 Thursday night tournament, and then a little cash if knocked out early.

Having played successfully for a while during the day online and clearing just over $200 playing .25/.50, I was full of confidence. I took my seat in the tourney, and got active early taking small pots and building a LAG image.... then lost half my stack with KK v AJ. An hour later, and after one shove too many, I was out.

So, onto the cash tables armed with £200 in chips. Sat at a £1/£2 table thinking £200 was the capped buy in.... only to find a guy with £3000 join on my immediate left after three hands - not good, and became impossible to play..... moved to a more comfortable 50p/£1 table and proceeded to donk off £200. Gave up at 3am and hit the road dejected and down hearted.  All night it had been the same story - rubbish cards, played really badly.

On the M1, the gantry signs told me the M42 was closed - bugger! That meant my 90 minute journey was going to be even longer, and bed was even further away. Down the M1, M69, M6 and finally onto the M42. At J6 on the M42 the gantry signs warned of queue on slip road and 40mph speed limit - I don"t think so!!  I cruised through at 90+ and onto J5..... same signs, same reaction. Before J4, the world turned blue and Mr Plod asked me to have a seat in the back of his rather nice Jag.  The video showed me at 100.39mph, but he pointed out that my driving was fine and the road deserted, so no court summons required and fixed penalty would suffice (whew!).

Then he pointed out that I had gone through the two 40mph sections at 90+, and would probably pick up tickets from the cameras!! I argued the toss that to have a 40mph speed limit on an empty three lane motorway at 4am was just plain daft - he agreed, and said the signs were probably still left on from the previous evening"s rush hour, however I must still obey them.

So, in summary, £30 worth of fuel, £242 for poker, £60 fixed penalty, £120 more fixed penalties possible, and between 3 and 9 points on my license.  No matter how bad a night I have playing online, I never ever get results like that.....................  QED online is just so much better than live!!!

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Re: Online is better than live!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 10:23:48 AM »
At least you hadn"t been drinking  ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
When are you coming back to DTD?  I"d like some of your donations next time at the cash tables please!

:D
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:40:55 AM »

When are you coming back to DTD?  I"d like some of your donations next time at the cash tables please!

But I"m guessing you won"t be asking him for a lift ?

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 11:32:12 AM »
ouchy ,........... your"e still the champ though  ;D
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »

So, in summary, £30 worth of fuel, £242 for poker, £60 fixed penalty, £120 more fixed penalties possible, and between 3 and 9 points on my license.

+ 50p I think
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 12:00:01 PM »

He"d get me home in good time!

I got stopped for speeding leaving DTD back in November.  5:30 in the morning, and I left to head towards the M1 south.  The Clifton Boulevard dual-carriageway is 50mph limit that goes into a 40mph limit.  Obviously the road was clear, and I was keen to get home and I went too fast.

Anyway, the only other car on the road was behind me and it had blue flashing lights on its roof.  Bugger.

So I pull over and a female police officer (she was cute) came over to the car and asked if I knew why I"d been pulled over.  "Was I going to fast?" was my reply, and she said that I was doing over 70mph.  Whoops.

She asked me to sit in the police car whilst they took my details.  The other officer in the car was also a woman (not as cute as the first one), and I don"t know if this had any bearing on the situation but it might have.

Anyway, I"m obviously getting done for the speeding, and then the first officer says "Is it your car?"  Well, technically it"s the missus" car so I tell them that.  She then asks if we have insurance, as the database is showing that there isn"t any!  Now, I KNOW there"s insurance on it as they took three payments out of the account back in the summer, and they weren"t small amounts!  She said that occasionally a car won"t show on the database for whatever reason. 

Then she said that there"s no MOT showing on the car either!  FML.  Now I know the MOT is due up soon, but I also "know" it"s due at the end of November - so I know it"s covered.  I say to them "This isn"t going well, is it?" The cute one laughs and says that it isn"t going particularly well for me so far.

I"ve gone for the humble approach, I was in the wrong for the speeding, and they"re just doing their jobs - so no point giving them a hard time or trying to get out of it.  I was wrong, and I was caught.  The insurance and the MOT bits were scaring me though.  I"m thinking car impounded, court appearance, fine, points, possible ban...

So, just as I"m waiting for the next bit of bad news - the cute one says "OK, I"ll just give you a warning for the speeding."  I nod and say that I"ve learnt my lesson (and I have, I never speed on that stretch of road any more)".  She then goes on to say that she has to give me a producer to show my insurance and MOT documents at a police station within 7 days.  I say that I"ll do it on the Monday straight away (it"s 5:30 on Sunday morning when this is happening).

And that was that.  How lucky was I?  MBSFN.

I get back in my car, drive off v-e-r-y- s-l-o-w-l-y, but wanting to get home ASAP to check the documents.  I get home and find confirmation that I"ve paid for the insurance, but I can"t find an insurance certificate.  When I call them the next day, there"s no problem and they email one out to me immediately and also stick one in the post.  So that was fine.

The MOT however had expired on the Thursday!  What an idiot!  I take it to a garage and get it MOTd as soon as I could, and thankfully it passed without needing anything doing.  I then go to the local police station and explain what happened.  The police officer I spoke to said that the insurance was all fine, and that she didn"t expect anything to happen with the MOT being out of date as it was obviously an over-sight rather than anything intentional (and she was right).

Anyway, I haven"t heard anything since, so I"m guessing I"m a lucky boy.  Apparently, I"ve been told that they won"t bother with the MOT on its own if it"s only out by a few days.  If it was alongside another offence (such as speeding) then it would be acted upon, but on its own they wouldn"t bother.  How lucky am I that they didn"t give me a ticket for the speeding.  Such lovely police officers (one lovelier than the other ldo).  I was surprised that they didn"t breath-test me, which wouldn"t have been a problem as I don"t drink and drive.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that you should drive carefully to and from DTD.

mike saban

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »
I was there on Wednesday night and had 15 pints, was proper leathered falling allover the place, glad I took the car because there was no way I was walking home in that condition

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »

...At least I think so after last night"s debacle. I made my annual outing to DTD with the intention of playing the £55 Thursday night tournament, and then a little cash if knocked out early.

Having played successfully for a while during the day online and clearing just over $200 playing .25/.50, I was full of confidence. I took my seat in the tourney, and got active early taking small pots and building a LAG image.... then lost half my stack with KK v AJ. An hour later, and after one shove too many, I was out.

So, onto the cash tables armed with £200 in chips. Sat at a £1/£2 table thinking £200 was the capped buy in.... only to find a guy with £3000 join on my immediate left after three hands - not good, and became impossible to play..... moved to a more comfortable 50p/£1 table and proceeded to donk off £200. Gave up at 3am and hit the road dejected and down hearted.  All night it had been the same story - rubbish cards, played really badly.

On the M1, the gantry signs told me the M42 was closed - bugger! That meant my 90 minute journey was going to be even longer, and bed was even further away. Down the M1, M69, M6 and finally onto the M42. At J6 on the M42 the gantry signs warned of queue on slip road and 40mph speed limit - I don"t think so!!  I cruised through at 90+ and onto J5..... same signs, same reaction. Before J4, the world turned blue and Mr Plod asked me to have a seat in the back of his rather nice Jag.  The video showed me at 100.39mph, but he pointed out that my driving was fine and the road deserted, so no court summons required and fixed penalty would suffice (whew!).

Then he pointed out that I had gone through the two 40mph sections at 90+, and would probably pick up tickets from the cameras!! I argued the toss that to have a 40mph speed limit on an empty three lane motorway at 4am was just plain daft - he agreed, and said the signs were probably still left on from the previous evening"s rush hour, however I must still obey them.

So, in summary, £30 worth of fuel, £242 for poker, £60 fixed penalty, £120 more fixed penalties possible, and between 3 and 9 points on my license.  No matter how bad a night I have playing online, I never ever get results like that.....................  QED online is just so much better than live!!!

Couldn"t let this pass- LAG Steve? Really??? lol
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »

I meant looser and more aggressive than my usual uber-tight passive way

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »

Yeah, just like me....

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »
I"m just hoping the two of you aren"t on my immediate left in Cardiff- would be a nightmare for me on the button with you two in the blinds  ::)
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 14:17:47 PM »

I"m just hoping the two of you aren"t on my immediate left in Cardiff- would be a nightmare for me on the button with you two in the blinds  ::)

I"d snap call you with K8o.  I KNOW I"d be ahead.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 18:51:44 PM »

He"d get me home in good time!

I got stopped for speeding leaving DTD back in November.  5:30 in the morning, and I left to head towards the M1 south.  The Clifton Boulevard dual-carriageway is 50mph limit that goes into a 40mph limit.  Obviously the road was clear, and I was keen to get home and I went too fast.

Anyway, the only other car on the road was behind me and it had blue flashing lights on its roof.  Bugger.

So I pull over and a female police officer (she was cute) came over to the car and asked if I knew why I"d been pulled over.  "Was I going to fast?" was my reply, and she said that I was doing over 70mph.  Whoops.

She asked me to sit in the police car whilst they took my details.  The other officer in the car was also a woman (not as cute as the first one), and I don"t know if this had any bearing on the situation but it might have.

Anyway, I"m obviously getting done for the speeding, and then the first officer says "Is it your car?"  Well, technically it"s the missus" car so I tell them that.  She then asks if we have insurance, as the database is showing that there isn"t any!  Now, I KNOW there"s insurance on it as they took three payments out of the account back in the summer, and they weren"t small amounts!  She said that occasionally a car won"t show on the database for whatever reason. 

Then she said that there"s no MOT showing on the car either!  FML.  Now I know the MOT is due up soon, but I also "know" it"s due at the end of November - so I know it"s covered.  I say to them "This isn"t going well, is it?" The cute one laughs and says that it isn"t going particularly well for me so far.

I"ve gone for the humble approach, I was in the wrong for the speeding, and they"re just doing their jobs - so no point giving them a hard time or trying to get out of it.  I was wrong, and I was caught.  The insurance and the MOT bits were scaring me though.  I"m thinking car impounded, court appearance, fine, points, possible ban...

So, just as I"m waiting for the next bit of bad news - the cute one says "OK, I"ll just give you a warning for the speeding."  I nod and say that I"ve learnt my lesson (and I have, I never speed on that stretch of road any more)".  She then goes on to say that she has to give me a producer to show my insurance and MOT documents at a police station within 7 days.  I say that I"ll do it on the Monday straight away (it"s 5:30 on Sunday morning when this is happening).

And that was that.  How lucky was I?  MBSFN.

I get back in my car, drive off v-e-r-y- s-l-o-w-l-y, but wanting to get home ASAP to check the documents.  I get home and find confirmation that I"ve paid for the insurance, but I can"t find an insurance certificate.  When I call them the next day, there"s no problem and they email one out to me immediately and also stick one in the post.  So that was fine.

The MOT however had expired on the Thursday!  What an idiot!  I take it to a garage and get it MOTd as soon as I could, and thankfully it passed without needing anything doing.  I then go to the local police station and explain what happened.  The police officer I spoke to said that the insurance was all fine, and that she didn"t expect anything to happen with the MOT being out of date as it was obviously an over-sight rather than anything intentional (and she was right).

Anyway, I haven"t heard anything since, so I"m guessing I"m a lucky boy.  Apparently, I"ve been told that they won"t bother with the MOT on its own if it"s only out by a few days.  If it was alongside another offence (such as speeding) then it would be acted upon, but on its own they wouldn"t bother.  How lucky am I that they didn"t give me a ticket for the speeding.  Such lovely police officers (one lovelier than the other ldo).  I was surprised that they didn"t breath-test me, which wouldn"t have been a problem as I don"t drink and drive.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that I am a luckbox on and off the poker table

FYP  ;)

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 19:23:50 PM »
Steve......can you manage another 3 points by next Friday so that you cant make the game and therefore hand me the BCPC Season One Title on a plate please ??
  You were one lucky boy there as I believe 100+ is an auto 2-year ban ??
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu