Author Topic: What do you do ?  (Read 12363 times)

noble1

• Platinum Member
What do you do ?
« on: May 18, 2009, 16:58:17 PM »
9 player table - blinds 50/100  the opponents are all a reasonable std

stack sizes pre-flop - utg 1950 - mp 1900 - cut off 2700 - button 2800

utg raises to 250 with KJo
mp calls
cut off calls
button calls

Flop ** [ jc, 9d, ts ] pot size - 1150

thoughts on how would you proceed here? i"ll post what happens next after a few replies...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 17:02:03 PM by noble1 »

mal666

• Gold Member
Re: What do you do ?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 17:13:18 PM »
fold pre, id rather raise 45 here than kj.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 17:19:08 PM »

fold pre, id rather raise 45 here than kj.

really? why?

What odds are you getting when you compare playing 45 rather than playing KJ?
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 17:55:42 PM »
It"s a potentially "dangerous" board and there"s 4 folk in the hand... if I"m continuing in the hand at all, it"ll be check > calling it down, only if it stays cheap enough.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 18:36:18 PM »
Assuming sb and bb have checked?
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 18:38:45 PM »
theres no sb or bb, both folded

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 19:57:10 PM »
I"m a mug who"s going busto here.

Raised preflop with KJ - what better flop could you hope for than top pair with decent kicker and a straight draw. Any decent bet here is going to commit me to the pot. Don"t want to check and give the impetus to someone else who might ask me to call for my tourney - bet the pot (or even shove it all in now [1750 into 1150 pot] as it"s all going to end up in there if I bet anyway) and put the others to a decision.

Probably a spewy way to play it, but the preflop raise with KJ out of position with these stack sizes has kind of got us into trouble (or not).

The shove may even be a value bet that gets called by hands we are beating (QJ, AK, etc). Also, we have to think an overpair would have re-raised preflop.... so the only hands that are realistically beating us here are KQ, Q8, or two pair, and even then we have outs.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 20:11:58 PM »

I"m a mug who"s going busto here.

Raised preflop with KJ - what better flop could you hope for than top pair with decent kicker and a straight draw. Any decent bet here is going to commit me to the pot. Don"t want to check and give the impetus to someone else who might ask me to call for my tourney - bet the pot (or even shove it all in now [1750 into 1150 pot] as it"s all going to end up in there if I bet anyway) and put the others to a decision.

Probably a spewy way to play it, but the preflop raise with KJ out of position with these stack sizes has kind of got us into trouble (or not).

The shove may even be a value bet that gets called by hands we are beating (QJ, AK, etc). Also, we have to think an overpair would have re-raised preflop.... so the only hands that are realistically beating us here are KQ, Q8, or two pair, and even then we have outs.

Steve you really puzzle me sometimes lol. Seem so tight in some spots but want to go bust with this hand on this board?

I am deffo not leading here. Check and re-evaluate. Too much action behind and I"m folding

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 21:16:43 PM »
I dont think this is a good flop for KJ. even if you hit your straight you could very likely be dead or chopping. Top pair may be good but any show of strength from an oppo will leave you hating your hand here.

Mistake was raising pre in EP with a marginal hand when it should be in the muck. I"m all for mixing up your EP raises but like Mal I"d rather do it with a sooted/unsuited connector/ one gapper.

As played, I"m in exactly the sort of spot that I didn"t want to be in....OOP with a maginal holding. TJ, 9Ts, JJ, TT, 99, AJ, QK are all possible holdings for any of our oppos.

check and re-evaluate from here for me
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 21:17:32 PM »
2.5bb raise with KJo under the gun, why? Pricing anybody with anything half decent in, and with that flop any one with anything half decent could have hit. Okay me UG then I would defo not lead, I would try and keep it cheap and be prepared to call a smallish bet, but defo not getting married to this!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 21:36:22 PM »
with a check call line here on the flop if we are afraid of 99 TT JJ QK TJ AJ If anyone bets will we be any the wiser?
Also can we discount any as unlikely/maybe ish by the way the action has gone so far and by what we hold?

just throwing it out there...

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 21:44:43 PM »
Me - all in pre  ;D

Seriously even I am not getting involved AT ALL in this scene -- folding pre - tight as a ducks whatsit me

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 00:00:58 AM »

with a check call line here on the flop if we are afraid of 99 TT JJ QK TJ AJ If anyone bets will we be any the wiser?
Also can we discount any as unlikely/maybe ish by the way the action has gone so far and by what we hold?

Not saying I would even check call. There are four players in the pot and we"re oop on a draw heavy board. Action might make this an easy fold.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 00:15:53 AM »

Not saying I would even check call. There are four players in the pot and we"re oop on a draw heavy board. Action might make this an easy fold.

you see thats why you are my hero

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 00:34:14 AM »
its a multi way pot on a draw heavy board... i would lead if the board was less draw co ordinated, would imagine i would check fold depending on the action afterwards, early stages in a sit n go no need to go broke on a board like this

if you lead/ check call here what on earth do you do on the turn?