Author Topic: AQ to a 4 bet  (Read 4287 times)

treydj

• Silver Member
  • flop, turn, river,cry,bed
AQ to a 4 bet
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:05:43 PM »
Hi all

is AQ s or os ever any good to a 4 bet? -I mean for your stack - not when your desparate.

EG.

Early levels - 100 BB +

late position raises - you are in blinds holding the famous AQ.
you decide to 3 bet.
raiser 4 bets - are you good?

No history on players - no reads.

to me - i throw it away faster than jordan throwing peter - but I would be interested in a couple of varied views

cheers

Jas
Scottish APAT Champion 2008
APAT Pro-Am 2008 - Bronze
APAT North European Online 2010 - Silver
APAT UK Online Championship 2011 - Bronze

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: AQ to a 4 bet
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:29:14 PM »
most of the time AQ s behind here.

However...... of course, the LP raiser might be thinking that you as BB have figured that his LP raise is a steal and you are 3-betting light, so he is going to 4-bet equally light... he might think that you think that he thinks that you think he is weak, and might try to make you think that actually he thinks that you thinks that he thinks that you think that he is strong. Oh sod it, just fold.

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:31:44 PM »
Yes, AQ s or os is a monster. Push allin when reraised.

ps Will you be playing in DTD?

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »
Behind so often and prob 50/50 at best. I wouldn"t be too happy risking my tourney life this early on with AQ after a 4 bet. Fold - you"re 100BB deep and there will be better spots.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:41:28 PM »
Not even an option doing nething but folding in this spot, unless u have history w/ the player where u have cn him 4bet light and then fold to a shove!  Flatting is clearly the worst thing of all time.

Edit:  Obv also totally dependant on whether oponents stack is around the same level, what their view of ur 3-betting range is, and what they are capable of...but for the most part we r finding better spots!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 13:34:07 PM by Marty719 »
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 13:45:46 PM »
in most cases (in MTTs especially) you shouldn"t 3bet AQ to a button raiser if you are going to fold to a 4bet - you might as well 3bet with 72o as it is basically a bluff. Have a plan before you 3bet, don"t just go ZOMG i have AQ let"s 3bet without thinking about what comes next, which is why stack sizes are so important.

loads of factors come into play - stacks, position, blinds, table image of all involved etc etc etc

agreed AQ doesn"t stand up well vs most people"s 4betting range but think about that before 3betting in the first place.

in later stages of MTTs, 3bet/folding is just spew, with 100bb etc then it can be fine depending upon circumstances.

edit - just seen the 100bb+ part - not happening very often in MTTs and will occur in cash, therefore it is very player read dependant - also consider whether it is 6max or full ring etc
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 13:50:34 PM by deanp27 »
Looking forward to making my first day 2

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 15:52:14 PM »

However...... of course, the LP raiser might be thinking that you as BB have figured that his LP raise is a steal and you are 3-betting light, so he is going to 4-bet equally light... he might think that you think that he thinks that you think he is weak, and might try to make you think that actually he thinks that you thinks that he thinks that you think that he is strong. Oh sod it, just fold.

i remember a situation like this..... ;D

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 16:48:21 PM »

hmmmmmm involving some nines and some kings perhaps?

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 19:47:34 PM »

Yes, AQ s or os is a monster. Push allin when reraised.

ps Will you be playing in DTD?

Post of the Year!
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 20:01:49 PM »

hmmmmmm involving some nines and some kings perhaps?

haha yeah maybe!