Author Topic: APAT / Blue Sq account question  (Read 36723 times)

3N1GM4

• Silver Member
Re: APAT / Blue Sq account question
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2009, 22:44:19 PM »

Sorry guys, getting heated on this thread will not help the situation one bit.  We are all in this together to a degree and I will get personally involved should any player have issues arising out of a potential payment into their Blue Square account.  

I don"t think anyone is suggesting that APAT or indeed BlueSq or DTD would act in anything other than the player"s best interest - this is certainly not what I am suggesting.

The simple matter is that there has been a slight misunderstanding between Blue Square and DTD over the payment method used for transferring some player entry and venue hire fees.  Blue Square issued cheques to DTD last week and should they clear in time; which they should, then all tournaments will be paid as per normal APAT procedures at DTD.  If the cheques do not clear then having the contingency payment plan in place via Blue Square accounts ensures the events go ahead.  The amount of money concerned is relatively small, which is why the alternative payout plan was put against the Omaha and Horse events; which will have 9 small cashes and 5 small cashes respectively, and not the main event, which will have several large cashes.

APAT have always been in the business of facing challenges head on and we worked very hard with both of our partners on this event to sort out the issue, but essentially we are all in the hands of accounts departments on this one.  As a very last resort we proposed the Blue Square account payment option.

I still can"t quite get my head round it... If the problem with paying is cash is that the cheques might not clear (which makes sense), how come the Main Event can still be paid out in cash, regardless of whether they clear or not? It would make more sense to guarantee that the smaller events will be paid out in cash and use the contingency plan to cover the Main Event in the eventuality that there is a problem with the payments, no? Only way I can see this making sense is that the bulk of what is owed to DTD in player entries and venue hire fees has already paid, and it is only a relatively small remainder that is still outstanding and dependent on these cheques clearing to DTD...is this the case?

Either way, I think the main problem that people have with this is that they feel it"s been sprung on them at the last minute, and as far as I could tell, until anyone mentioned it, the information from APAt (via the Player Briefing) was that the Omaha and HORSE would be paid into BlueSq. Full Stop. No mention of paying in cash if possible, with BlueSq as a backup, so I think more clarity there would have avoided a lot of the hassle in this thread. Perhaps in the future if there is any chance that this might occur (and I can understand if it"s not something that"s happened before, then it"s hard to plan for before now), then the briefing could just contain a rider stating something along the lines of "All prizes will be paid in cash where possible, but in the unlikely event that for any reason this is not possible, then prizes will be paid into a Blue Square account."... or something similar, you get the gist.

Blue Square have been a superb sponsor of APAT as somebody wrote elsewhere in this thread.  For this event alone, they have covered your registration fees, venue fees, two buffets plus put up an entry to the GUKPT Grand Final worth over £3k.   They have also paid for the trophy and the medals and the organiser expenses.  I think that is worthy of consideration.

As I said above, I don"t doubt this one bit, I"m well aware of the value which BlueSquare add to APAT, but it"s not Blue Square that people have an issue with, it would be the same regardless of which poker site the winnings were paid into, people would much prefer to have the cash. I know I for one could do with having the cash on me for cash games or other tournaments etc right away, with times being a bit tough right now. In the event that the cheque(s) in question do not clear, is there any chance of arranging some sort of partial payout in cash should people really need/want a few quid in their pocket to help cover the extra costs of the weekend? Not feasible or acceptable to DTD perhaps, but might be a good compromise for the small number who may be affected.

All in all, it"s an unfortunate situation and has been made worse by some viewing those with objections as being "moaners" or whatever. I think it"s perfectly acceptable for people to voice their opinions on a matter which may well affect them detrimentally.

M3boy

• Silver Member
    • M3boy's Poker Page
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2009, 22:50:09 PM »
Heated indeed.

Was no way meant as an attack on APAT/Blue Sq or indeed DTD.

Just wanted to raise my points on the payout into an online account which would take over a week to get your money in cash.

I appreciate Des that you are indeed working hard for APAT and Blue Sq are great sponsors.

I was more saddened to the attacks on the people with a different opinion, there was no need for this.

Debate is good, until it gets personal

Looking foward to donating my chips to someone on Thursday :)

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2009, 22:53:49 PM »
Ok

shall we just attempt to play cards as it"s quite obvious that"s what we all want to do. I know I do and for the last 12 years it"s all I"ve wanted to be able to do.

I"ve still not managed it!

See you all Thursday for cards and niceties!

;)

Im sure the payout situation will resolve itself and I have a big bag!!
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
  • Vague memories of being in Vegas
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2009, 22:56:15 PM »

I will get personally involved should any player have issues arising out of a potential payment into their Blue Square account. 

Surely end of debate??
APAT Scotland runner up 2008
APAT Sotland final table 2009
If it's not in Scotland you can forget it!

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2009, 23:00:31 PM »
please put your faith in des and the apat theyer looking after your intrests

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2009, 23:05:49 PM »
I completely agree that people should be able to discuss this topic; provided it is in a fair and reasonable manner, which I believe it largely has been to date. 

To answer a couple of your specific queries Ian:

With regards to funds, APAT has already transferred the majority of the prize pool to DTD, which more than covers the main event prize pool.  The amount in clearing is relatively small. 

It has been sprung on us all last minute unfortunately but I don"t necessarily think the players who are disappointed with this position would have been more pacified if the rider footnote was carried in every player briefing.

At this point every player should assume the cheques will not clear, which is why the player briefing stated what it did.

Under those circumstances no payments would be made at DTD.  Only 9 of 81 players will cash in the Omaha (5 in the Horse) and I think it is a very risky strategy if players are reliant on making the top 10% of either of those events to get through the rest of their weekend.  That said, I seriously hope no player is inconvenienced by this late change.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 23:07:56 PM by APAT »

3N1GM4

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2009, 23:09:46 PM »

I completely agree that people should be able to discuss this topic; provided it is in a fair and reasonable manner, which I believe it largely has been to date. 

With regards to funds, APAT has already transferred the majority of the prize pool to DTD, which more than covers the main event prize pool.  The amount in clearing is relatively small. 

It has been sprung on us all last minute unfortunately but I don"t necessarily think the players who are disappointed with this position would have been more pacified if the rider footnote was carried in every player briefing.

At this point every player should assume the cheques will not clear, which is why the player briefing stated what it did.

Under those circumstances no payments would be made at DTD.  Only 9 of 81 players will cash in the Omaha (5 in the Horse) and I think it is a very risky strategy if players are reliant on making the top 10% of either of those events to get through the rest of their weekend. That said, I seriously hope no player is inconvenienced by this late change.

All sounds fair enough Des, while not ideal for those whom it might affect. Hopefully it"ll all work out anyway and my paycheque will come through before the weekend so I can make my donation to the poker community without having to rely on cashing in one of the events.  :D

With regards to the part in bold though, I don"t think I explained myself very well. What I meant was, if I was fortunate enough to win the HORSE event for example and take £1000, I would probably play some cash if I was paid out in note form as usual, but with a payment into BlueSquare, this would be impossible, that was all I mean, it might prevent people from enjoying their winnings that same weekend, for those who do not have a spare grand or so lying around to cover it until payday...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 23:17:16 PM by 3N1GM4 »

Claw75

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2009, 23:16:29 PM »
excellent post 3NIGM4 *thumbs up*

3N1GM4

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2009, 23:17:58 PM »

excellent post 3NIGM4 *thumbs up*

Why thank you, donations are always welcome... I"m a whiskey drinker if that helps.  :D ;D

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2009, 23:20:08 PM »

Under those circumstances no payments would be made at DTD.  Only 9 of 81 players will cash in the Omaha (5 in the Horse) and I think it is a very risky strategy if players are reliant on making the top 10% of either of those events to get through the rest of their weekend. That said, I seriously hope no player is inconvenienced by this late change.

All sounds fair enough Des, while not ideal for those whom it might affect. Hopefully it"ll all work out anyway and my paycheque will come through before the weekend so I can make my donation to the poker community without having to rely on cashing in one of the events.  :D

With regards to the part in bold though, I don"t think I explained myself very well. What I meant was, if I was fortunate enough to win the HORSE event for example and take £1000, I would probably play some cash if I was paid out in note form as usual, but with a payment into BlueSquare, this would be impossible, that was all I mean, it might prevent people from enjoying their winnings that same weekend, for those who do not have a spare grand or so lying around to cover it until payday...

If I won £1,000 in the Horse event I don"t think I"d stop running until I hit the M42  ;)  :D

3N1GM4

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2009, 23:23:46 PM »
If I won £1,000 in the Horse event I don"t think I"d stop running until I hit the M42  ;)  :D

I dunno, I suspect that event will end up being won by someone who will openly admit not knowing how to play most of the games... After all, limit is clearly designed to frustrate those competent at it by always rewarding the newbies with victory!

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 01:27:16 AM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:31:45 AM by Bainn »
  Deepstack champion S2  

Geo

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2009, 08:12:06 AM »

Sorry guys, getting heated on this thread will not help the situation one bit.  We are all in this together to a degree and I will get personally involved should any player have issues arising out of a potential payment into their Blue Square account. 

The simple matter is that there has been a slight misunderstanding between Blue Square and DTD over the payment method used for transferring some player entry and venue hire fees.  Blue Square issued cheques to DTD last week and should they clear in time; which they should, then all tournaments will be paid as per normal APAT procedures at DTD.  If the cheques do not clear then having the contingency payment plan in place via Blue Square accounts ensures the events go ahead.  The amount of money concerned is relatively small, which is why the alternative payout plan was put against the Omaha and Horse events; which will have 9 small cashes and 5 small cashes respectively, and not the main event, which will have several large cashes.

APAT have always been in the business of facing challenges head on and we worked very hard with both of our partners on this event to sort out the issue, but essentially we are all in the hands of accounts departments on this one.  As a very last resort we proposed the Blue Square account payment option.

Blue Square have been a superb sponsor of APAT as somebody wrote elsewhere in this thread.  For this event alone, they have covered your registration fees, venue fees, two buffets plus put up an entry to the GUKPT Grand Final worth over £3k.   They have also paid for the trophy and the medals and the organiser expenses.  I think that is worthy of consideration.

Thanks Des,

However can"t help feeling if this info had been posted in the first place we wouldn"t be having this debate. Just food for thought for the future.

p.s. Had to say summat, couldn"t have Christian having the last word  ;)

Geo

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2009, 10:14:06 AM »

Anything to get out of buying a round.

::)
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

StuartHopkin

• Bronze Member
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »

I can see samuel_9 retracted his statement. I applaud this and agree the "peasant" comment was not helpful to the debate. With regard to the "maybe samuel_9 is not a person" comment. I know Samuel_9 personally and can assure you he is very much a person and I am always happy to sit at a poker table with him, even if he does always end up with my chips(with or without salt and vinegar). I personally will be delighted to have such a wonderful problem as ensuring poker winnings arrive in my bank account. If it takes a few days then rest assurred ill not have blown it all on beer and cash tables. I am really looking forward to this weekend and I know Samuel_9 is also.

Coprey

I take your point, im sure samuel_9 is a person, and a nice guy in real life. If he wants to introduce himself over the weekend I will get a plate of 50p chips, some salt and vinegar and also buy him a drink.

My comment did come across as personal, and I have no idea who this guy is. My comment was purely based on some inane posts, one at poor people, one saying he will eat my chips, and a complete lack of knowledge about the CAPS key.

Apologies