Author Topic: What's my play here?  (Read 3810 times)

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
What's my play here?
« on: October 03, 2009, 11:01:20 AM »
£100 F/O nearing the end of Level 5 at 300 / 600 a50 and I am almost precisely on my starting stack of 10,000. 17 of 35 remain so I am well below average.

UTG Makes a standard raise to 1800 and everyone folds to me in BB - I have only been sat at this table for 6 hands or so hand have seen this player raise once with AA to take it down pre. I have played him once before and he"s pretty solid.

In BB I have  qd th and I call

The Flop is  qs ts 8s

I am first to act and have c. 8400. There is 4400 in the pot. What should I do and should I have called pre?
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
Re: What's my play here?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »
Almost perfect flop for you - play it to get all your chips over the line. I"d lead out for around 3500 on flop and call a shove / jam any Turn.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 11:17:40 AM »
with stack sizes i think calling an UTG raise with QTo is a pretty bad idea, especially vs a "solid" player.

with my usual table image i would be tempted to open jam here, looking like i have a bare spade. However if you think UTG will bet then check/jam. Just don"t fold. my play would probably be just open jam but you haven"t said what stack size the opener has and that will be a factor

i think leading for anything other than all your stack here would be the least favourable option
Looking forward to making my first day 2

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:21:27 AM »

but you haven"t said what stack size the opener has and that will be a factor

Good point- he has a decent stack s/where between 25 & 35k
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 11:22:32 AM »
Auto shove IMHO. Not sure about the PF call though?
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »
Pre flop out of position is a fold for me

if it was the sb raising I"d call purely as it"s a weak hand but I"ve position

As played I"d just jam the lot on openly

if he has 2 spades (unlikely) he got your chips. You need to lead out and if you bet 4k into it your prettyuch priced in fir the rest

If he has a spade draw then the open shove doesn"t give him the odds to call (not that many online players look at draws in a priced in way)

problem I feel is the pre flop call

treydj

• Silver Member
  • flop, turn, river,cry,bed
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 12:58:11 PM »
jam or fold pre
Scottish APAT Champion 2008
APAT Pro-Am 2008 - Bronze
APAT North European Online 2010 - Silver
APAT UK Online Championship 2011 - Bronze

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 14:44:49 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

In summary it looks like most disagree with the call pre but agree with what I did next (which i did not put in the OP so as not to pre-empt)

Pre-Flop

I have been playing for almost exactly 12 months now and until a few months ago I was very "nitty". In order to loosen up a little (among other changes) I have started calling certain hands in certain circumstances and trying to make good decisions after the flop - in this circumstance if I hit the flop I can move in and take it from the initial raiser, if I miss I can get out of the way - It"s just that I "hit it ugly" here

Also I had to put 1200 into a 3200 pot which I thought was worth it.

I am not disagreeing with the replies, just explaining my rationale

Post-Flop

Basically my thinking is excactly as described by LongshanksED - If I lead for 4k I am pretty much priced in to a shove so I shove it all in. If he has 2 spades it"s unlucky (+ I would have 4 outs) and I may get him off  js Jx or  9s 9x??

As it played he had  :as: js and turn and river bricked  :( but it"s good to see that most agree with the shove

Cheers

JP
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 04:55:30 AM »
try and make good decisions pre-flop should be what your doing,not calling oop against a solid type utg just because of odds.Start trying to put your opponents on a range of hands before u call for starters.A basic straight forward solid players utg range like u describe would look like 99+  AJo+s+ at worst mostly and your stack size is to low for speculative play.You are calling with a hand that is dominated by most of his range,if u feel u had to call a solid players utg raise then do it with suited connectors like 89ss for example and a slightly larger stack :)
When u analyse hands/situations before,during and after the event try to play the possible hands as if they were all face up and make the best play that way.
As played why shove? to make a solid player fold AA no spade or KK no spade or AQo or even AsQx is a big mistake imo which by this type with the stack size he has, it is more than likely he will not fold to a shove on the flop by you if he holds the ace or king of spades..
Lets say his range was as above 99+  AJo+s+  and we"ll discount TT and QQ as unlikely because u hold QTo , if u bet he will fold 99 [even a 9x9spade] i disagree that he would fold JsJx [given stacks and pot size] this leaves AA KK JJ AK AQ AJ as his range that we are up against , thats 66 combos 45 of which we are beating and he"d be making a mistake to call your 1/2 pot bet with and if he calls this sets up a pot size bet on the turn for you!!!!! if he re-raises  yippee....
18 combos we are flipping,if he makes the mistake of only calling these and not re-raising,, again you have more FE on the turn.Lastly there are only 3 combos which u are crushed by and its c"est la vie .......... :"(

hope this gets u thinking/looking at situations differently....

I have started calling certain hands in certain circumstances and trying to make good decisions after the flop - in this circumstance if I hit the flop I can move in and take it from the initial raiser, if I miss I can get out of the way - It"s just that I "hit it ugly" here

its good to try new things but try to choose your opponents a bit better [eg - seen them fold post flop] and try to adjust to your stack and your opponent stacks/tendencies better.

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 19:04:42 PM »
noble1  - thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply, I appreciate it and will try to improve.
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own