Author Topic: SPT Leg 1 this Saturday - Manc  (Read 5629 times)

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
SPT Leg 1 this Saturday - Manc
« on: November 06, 2009, 03:39:34 AM »
Just took down 1 of the last 2 places for SPT Leg 1 tonight.

At regular intervals broadband decided that I had a better chance of winning by sitting out - a fair estimation. You know there is something wrong in your life when you"re "sprint falling" to yours mums at 11:00pm at night in just you"re PJs to finish off a £22 sng using her t"internet connection and when you get there she thinks you"re a robber.

Erh... Anyway, I remember a few peeps from here played in Sky Poker Tour last year, can"t remember who. Just looking for some advice on what to expect, standard of play, etc. My first live 3 digit tourney. FWIW I am a microstakes cash donkey break even player who has been loitering on these forums for sometime with a view to improve my MTT/Live play via Regionals which hopefully will be back in S4...(?) {been a long wait joined mid way through season 2 - BTW when is Season 4 starting?  :D}. So ultimately not expecting much from the event just to get some good live experience under my belt without getting pwnd like I will versus Apaters.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:41:50 AM by TopPair2Pair »
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

Laxie

• Platinum Member
Re: SPT Leg 1 this Saturday - Manc
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 07:52:23 AM »
At regular intervals broadband decided that I had a better chance of winning by sitting out - a fair estimation. You know there is something wrong in your life when you"re "sprint falling" to yours mums at 11:00pm at night in just you"re PJs to finish off a £22 sng using her t"internet connection and when you get there she thinks you"re a robber.

That"s the morning giggle sorted...cheers!   :D

Well done winning the seat.  As for what to do when you get there?  Just relax, play poker and enjoy!  Good few from APAT will be there so make yourself known and the rest will take care of itself.   ;)

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:08:35 AM »
I wouldn"t get too hung up on it being your first "3 digit tourney". As so many will have sat"d in too, I"m sure you"ll find enough scared, free money in there and folk who have never played live before to keep you from feeling like you"re in too deep.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 12:21:23 PM »
my advice is "don"t worry"
Looking forward to making my first day 2

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 14:51:05 PM »

That"s the morning giggle sorted...cheers!   :D

Glad someone found it funny! I am absolutely aching from the 22 second sprint!!!

Am sure i"ll take saturday in my stride, not a total fish! (Just an uncomfortable live player seekingc comfort!!).

« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 15:58:34 PM by TopPair2Pair »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 17:15:57 PM »

I"m sure you"ll find enough scared, free money in there

just

Pears27

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 17:28:53 PM »
Without wanting to swell any heads, the APAT contingent are likely to be the strongest players there. That was mostly the case last year, and the final at DTD seemed to be more like an APAT day out.

You"ll be fine, and by no means the least experienced player there.

Plus there"s sit n go"s all day if you do get your KK cracked by A4o on level 2.

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 11:18:35 AM »

Just took down 1 of the last 2 places for SPT Leg 1 tonight.

You know there is something wrong in your life when you"re "sprint falling" to yours mums at 11:00pm at night in just you"re PJs to finish off a £22 sng using her t"internet connection and when you get there she thinks you"re a robber.

I laughed  until i stopped. Very funny tops and best of luck in Manchester. Just have confidence in your own game and stick to it :)
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 11:56:04 AM »
Just about to set off -  see ya there

Pears27

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 13:46:36 PM »
Here now. Dennis Taylor looks very smart but slightly bewildered.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 20:24:40 PM »
I was just bewildered - Never got above starting stack - and ended up having to push when the blinds were 300/600/50. Great day though enjoyed it.

Pears27

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 21:11:38 PM »
Sitting here playing cash. Ran flopped straight into bigger flopped straight.

Then won a presenter SNG, had the pleasure of knocking Orford out and took it down. Profitable and fun - what it"s all about I guess.

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 22:43:39 PM »

I was just bewildered - Never got above starting stack - and ended up having to push when the blinds were 300/600/50. Great day though enjoyed it.

I had a very similar Bewildermentalising sensation today, left about a level before Duke I think.

Had a donation happy table, couldn"t have selected it better myself! But had rly crap position with a spewtard a couple seats to my left driving me insane with his assaulting the table by trying to "open limp isolate the dealer" every other hand and those in position kept folding flops to him which was putting me on "popeye tilt" (I try to touch my left shoulder blade with my chin and wrap my right eyelid around my nostrils at the same time without the aid of my hands!).

Completely struggled to get any momentum before break. But once antes kicked in after break I felt much more at ease, stack dynamics+antes completely changed the table in my favor and got up to 7K, completely card dead tho. lol@spewtard continuing to open limp isolate with blinds more then 10% of his stack and then wondering where it all went.

Structure was going to get pretty aggressive over next few levels with shorties starting to shove soon and didn"t want to miss the action/side pots, figured I needed about 12K to make a couple gruesome calls to get me to halfway point. So obv 3bet bluff shoved on UTG+2 in MP who x4, he calls with AJs and my K8o misses.

Def have better idea of what to expect next time, prolly gonna skip Newcastle and Glasgow, aiming for 2 more of these during this tour. Sorry didn"t say hello Pears, seriously struggled with name tags, only briefly managed to find Duke and say hello, must remember to get numbers of those going next time! Thanks for the advice everyone else.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 22:52:32 PM by TopPair2Pair »

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 22:50:51 PM »
Great to meet you - definately difficult to get going today - coffee & cola suck by the way  ;D ;D ;D

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 14:15:07 PM »

Great to meet you - definately difficult to get going today - coffee & cola suck by the way  ;D ;D ;D

Great to meet you to sir. lol@coffee and cola