Author Topic: Bubble Play  (Read 4473 times)

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
Bubble Play
« on: November 12, 2009, 23:28:40 PM »
A pal of mine is struggling with bubble play in live sngs.

Anyone got any good simple beginner articles they"d recommend on this?
Toppietwo - "Just like it says on the tin"

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
Re: Bubble Play
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 00:02:03 AM »
 from my experiances, if someone is worried about going busto on the bubble all the time, or they usually find themselves just creeping into the money without going any deeper, then they are playing out of their bankroll. On the bubble you need to pick on the right stacks. i actually like to keep the short stacks in, They are looking to gamble with any 2 cards, and in keeping the shorties in, it means the medium stacks are playing tighter because they are waiting for the shorties to get busted out. Its like poker politics in a way.

The books that have helped me on the bubble time of  play........... Gus hansens book "Every hand revealed" and Arnold Synders book "poker tourny formula 2".
As for articles i dont really read the poker mags too much. Hope this helps a bit.

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 00:07:07 AM »

A pal of mine is struggling with bubble play in live sngs.

Anyone got any good simple beginner articles they"d recommend on this?

Shove early and go to the bar

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 00:08:31 AM »
I think he had like 50% of chips 4 handed, kept quiet for quite a while blinded away then decided to play a little and got outplayed busting on the bubble.  He then proceeded to look like he could kill a penguin until he left, poor fella!

I was thinking more along the lines of Internet articles/stickies. (We"re talking level zero thinker who doesn"t loosen up as game progresses)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 00:20:00 AM by TopPair2Pair »

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 10:23:01 AM »

I think he had like 50% of chips 4 handed, kept quiet for quite a while blinded away

and therein lies his error. With such a dominant stack, he should bet like hell at the two in the middle, and they are likely to continually fold waiting for the shorty to go busto.  Avoid pots with the shortstack - there is so much value to be gained from the medium stack whilst the shorty is kept alive.... once he"s gone and everyone is ITM, your big stack power is lessened.

Sitting back and going quiet when having such a significant chip lead on the bubble in a STT is awful.

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 17:50:32 PM »
 You are supposed to be hyper agressive on the bubble, but pick the right spots. Thats how the pros gain so much chips to try and take to the final table. And once the bubble bursts, its actually a good idea to tighten up a bit if you have chips, because all the shorties will breath a sigh of relief and just shove blind.

Its hard on the bubble if you are playing outside your roll (infact its almost impossible to play proper bubble play). I think if most people here made it to the bubble of the WSOP ME, then we would naturally tighten up way to much, i know that i would anyway because the big tourneys are out of my league.

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 22:01:01 PM »
Lol why is everyone giving ME advise! My bubble play is sick youknow! I"m just looking for a sticky artcle for him to mull over

Shove early and go to the bar

I"ll think i"ll just go with this and tell him to hope the bar serves penguins!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 22:02:37 PM by TopPair2Pair »

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 22:36:06 PM »

Lol why is everyone giving ME advise! My bubble play is sick youknow! I"m just looking for a sticky artcle for him to mull over
I"ll think i"ll just go with this and tell him to hope the bar serves penguins!

this article will do fine

I think he had like 50% of chips 4 handed, kept quiet for quite a while blinded away

and therein lies his error. With such a dominant stack, he should bet like hell at the two in the middle, and they are likely to continually fold waiting for the shorty to go busto.  Avoid pots with the shortstack - there is so much value to be gained from the medium stack whilst the shorty is kept alive.... once he"s gone and everyone is ITM, your big stack power is lessened.

Sitting back and going quiet when having such a significant chip lead on the bubble in a STT is awful.

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 23:53:19 PM »
your more the right swinebag, cheers line check.

Thanks for the comments guys, I will verbally pass them on to  pal when I see him next

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 14:08:50 PM »
Is this one of those "my friend" posts :)  

Really good advice given above - shud help a lot!
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

TopPair2Pair

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 16:01:05 PM »

Is this one of those "my friend" posts :)  

lol it does sounds like it dont it!? But I wld be a little more specific if it was me as historically when I"ve posted in here about my live game theres always a gd discussion which points me in the right direction. I am quite content with my bubble play in all honesty. Reason for post is sometimes its not that easy to get through to level zero thinkers, a few decent(& consistent) articles would back up whats already been said to this fella.